The MAIN reason I’m not freaking out over Onyemata’s suspension (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
...is that our D-line coach is Ryan Nielsen, arguably among the top 5 in the entire NFL.

Is Onyemata’s absence going to be missed? Absolutely! There will be a drop off.

But Nielsen will coach-up the other players, and the loss shouldn’t be catastrophic. In fact, this may have a silver lining because of the extra snaps the backups will get.

Nielsen is bad ars’d, and will coach next man up!

JMO

WhoDat

:gosaints:

Exactly why SP did not want him to leave. I strongly believe in his ability to coach, but he’s not the one on the field unfortunately. However, I have not freaked out about the DT position. I’m more worried about LB and CB.
Interior Lineman keep LB's clean so that will only make their job tougher. I'm worried about this and our LBs

I'm always looking for the silver lining and as you said, these young guys are about to see a trial by fire. We're going to get a good look and find out exactly what we have.

I think the staff can coach around DO's absence to a certain extent. DA and Nielson are going to get creative and figure out how to generate pressure up the middle without DO. We could see some 3 man fronts and some 4 DE looks.

Interior Lineman keep LB's clean so that will only make their job tougher. I'm worried about this and our LBs
True, but I do believe we can hold serve with what we have until David returns from suspension. I just worry about the LB spot bc we don’t know what we have yet next to DD.

True, but I do believe we can hold serve with what we have until David returns from suspension. I just worry about the LB spot bc we don’t know what we have yet next to DD.
Yeah that's a huge question mark. I hope somebody steps up!

I'm always looking for the silver lining and as you said, these young guys are about to see a trial by fire. We're going to get a good look and find out exactly what we have.

I think the staff can coach around DO's absence to a certain extent. DA and Nielson are going to get creative and figure out how to generate pressure up the middle without DO. We could see some 3 man fronts and some 4 DE looks.
Maybe with Baun rushing from the LB position on the 3 man fronts

...is that our D-line coach is Ryan Nielsen, arguably among the top 5 in the entire NFL.

Is Onyemata’s absence going to be missed? Absolutely! There will be a drop off.

But Nielsen will coach-up the other players, and the loss shouldn’t be catastrophic. In fact, this may have a silver lining because of the extra snaps the backups will get.

Nielsen is bad ars’d, and will coach next man up!

JMO

WhoDat

:gosaints:
Yep. I've been impressed with the line play these few years.

Maybe with Baun rushing from the LB position on the 3 man fronts
Yep! Great minds! 👍🏽

Another option is a “zone blitz”. With the right 4 DL package, he blitzes, but one DL drops off in coverage.

Baun is built like a LB. This year, seems the Saints will work him in as a WIL backer in their 4-3, n see what he can do there. We’ll see.

Despite his lack of size, I think what Baun does have is dat “twitch”! Whether it’s shootin a gap or as a pass rusher, the dude can get off the ball! He also has some nice polish in his game as a rusher!

Jus my op. But again, we’ll see.

I agree with ndcc, I think Nielsen will find ways to get QB pressure and do a decent job of stopping the run. I think he's gotten the most from our DL his entire career with the Saints, and I don't expect him to regress because of the loss of 1 good player.

I agree with ndcc, I think Nielsen will find ways to get QB pressure and do a decent job of stopping the run. I think he's gotten the most from our DL his entire career with the Saints, and I don't expect him to regress because of the loss of 1 good player.
Yep! I’ve said for the longest that the man is one of the best “teaching coaches” in the league!

But he’s also got a “good eye” for D line talent! While at NCSt, he actually recruited a lot of the D line players who went on to play for him. Not many college coaches can say that not only they they recruit em, but he had like 4 of em all get drafted in the same year ( led by Bradley Chubb!).

He successfully got those players from close by in the region too. But I also remember the story of the one player he recruited, but got away.

That one player was Shy Tuttle! 😂

Yep! I’ve said for the longest that the man is one of the best “teaching coaches” in the league!

But he’s also got a “good eye” for D line talent! While at NCSt, he actually recruited a lot of the D line players who went on to play for him. Not many college coaches can say that not only they they recruit em, but he had like 4 of em all get drafted in the same year ( led by Bradley Chubb!).

He successfully got those players from close by in the region too. But I also remember the story of the one player he recruited, but got away.

That one player was Shy Tuttle! 😂
Nielsen's a wild man out there, his energy is insane. In the long run, his most valuable asset is probably recognizing talent, as you mentioned. We've lost 3-4 good linemen during Nielsen's tenure, but it's not his fault.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom