The Makings of a Stud - Braylon Broughton and Aldon Smith (1 Viewer)

Looks really good and his numbers are excellent, just needs the right coach and time. Hope he can get that with us. It'll be interesting to see how he has progressed from last years off season.

Have the saints ever developed an undrafted Dlineman into something special? I wouldn't get my hopes up.

This is exactly the kind of player the saints have been known to develop.All the numbers are there just has to take a little time.Chris Ivory comes to mind as an example.

The exciting thing is you know the Saints will play the best players so a guy like Broughton has a chance if he can prove to make the transition to a OLB/Pass rusher...I still feel that Martez Wilson will be the biggest beneficiary of the move because he is can play coverage and has the speed and length to rush the passer.

He did get a sack in the pre season and looke to be coming on, and we did keep on our practice squad so they must have seen something

The great thing about being the weak side rush backer in the 3-4 is that you have very limited liability. It masks the flaws of a lot of players. It allows freak athletes to look like studs. If I was the d line/linebacker coach I would have this guy sit down in a room and watch Demarcus ware game film all day.

Other notes: Aldon smith wingspan/arm length - 83/34
Broughton wingspan/arm length - 81/34

The great thing about being the weak side rush backer in the 3-4 is that you have very limited liability. It masks the flaws of a lot of players. It allows freak athletes to look like studs. If I was the d line/linebacker coach I would have this guy sit down in a room and watch Demarcus ware game film all day.

Ware was going to be the example I used...thats why I think Coach is going after a coordinater who will use the players to their strenghts and not just a defensive coordinater who brings his system in and players have to adjust to the new coaching style.

This is a very interesting post though...makes u wonder if we can stand to pass on an OLB in the draft.

Tell me this...im not completely familiar with offseason activities.

Will there be any minicamps b4 the draft? Like where u can get a look @ some of the players and see how they might fit?

IF Braylon Broughton can play up to those measurables we can pass on Ansah and go elsewhere.

Aldon Smith is overrated. Most of his sacks are due to Justin Smith holding the offensive line allowing Smith a free path to the QB. Aldon Smith hasn't been effective since Justin Smith got hurt and he hasn't had a sack in 5 games.

Isn't that the guy who didn't start a game for TCU? Ill admit, his measurables look awesome but I don't recall any of him during preseason. It'll be interesting to see what difference a year makes. Obviously the coaching staff liked something about him enough to keep him on the PS.

Kind of reminds me of Renaldo Turnbull. All the measurables you could want except playing ability.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Aldon Smith is overrated. Most of his sacks are due to Justin Smith holding the offensive line allowing Smith a free path to the QB. Aldon Smith hasn't been effective since Justin Smith got hurt and he hasn't had a sack in 5 games.

I think cam jordan or akiem hicks could be our justin smith.

Other notes: Aldon smith wingspan/arm length - 83/34
Broughton wingspan/arm length - 81/34

A player that just crossed my mind that is very similar to Aldon Smith is Devin Taylor who dominated competition all week in practice and in the game at the shrine game.

devin-taylor.jpg

His measurements:

6-7 275
10 1/4 hands
35 3/4 arms
86 5/8 wingpan

East West Shrine Game Measureables | National Football Post

Much stronger at the point of attack and stacks and sheds better than dion jordan and showed great great speed in open space for a man his size. He's also taller and stronger. I hated him for the 4-3 at DE but looking back at his performance in the shrine game Im beginning to wonder if we can throw him into the mix as a potential ROLB candidate.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g0-WeCHApmQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

He bullied tackles all week and was the best player at the game.

Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina: The "other" defensive end for the Gamecocks, often overshadowed by Melvin Ingram and Jadeveon Clowney had a nice day of practice. The first thing you notice with Taylor is he's enormous at 6'8" and almost 270 pounds. He was once "the guy" at end for South Carolina, but kind of fell through the wayside. In one-on-one drills Taylor overpowered a lot of the tackles, including flat out throwing one to the ground on the drill. Taylor is a bit stiff in his hips and doesn't seem to have that bend you look for in an end, but if he shows he's strong enough might interest teams as a strongside end at the NFL level.
East-West Shrine Game 2013 practice report: Devin Taylor, Terron Armstead turning heads - SBNation.com

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom