The Makings of a Stud - Braylon Broughton and Aldon Smith (1 Viewer)

A player that just crossed my mind that is very similar to Aldon Smith is Devin Taylor who dominated competition all week in practice and in the game at the shrine game.

devin-taylor.jpg

His measurements:

6-7 275
10 1/4 hands
35 3/4 arms
86 5/8 wingpan

East West Shrine Game Measureables | National Football Post

Much stronger at the point of attack and stacks and sheds better than dion jordan and showed great great speed in open space for a man his size. I hated him for the 4-3 but looking back at his performance in the shrine game Im beginning to wonder if we can throw him into the mix as a potential ROLB candidate.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/g0-WeCHApmQ" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

He bullied tackles all week and was the best player at the game.

East-West Shrine Game 2013 practice report: Devin Taylor, Terron Armstead turning heads - SBNation.com
He has horrible leverage and does not know how to use his long arms to his advantage IMO. He also had horrid production across from Clowney and Ingram. I would not touch him in the draft, sure as an UDFA but not in the draft...

He has horrible leverage and does not know how to use his long arms to his advantage IMO. He also had horrid production across from Clowney and Ingram. I would not touch him in the draft, sure as an UDFA but not in the draft...

I mean at Linebacker.

Did you watch him in the shrine game? He had 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles, and unlike Ansah reportedly dominated the entire week, game included.

a few plays of note from that video above:

2:15 strip sack
4:15 forced fumble on the running back
5:32 hurries a throw for an INT

1:00 gets good release with speed on the reverse but gets held by OT allowing TD. Refs miss call.
5:50 Great play Closing speed, out runs smaller qb at 275lbs and doesn't give up the angle
6:17 bull rushes, manhandles tackle for a sack

Look at smith's measurables on page 1, Taylor is closer in size and physical ability to Aldon smith than Dion Jordan who gives up 20-30lbs to both.

He showed at the shrine that he's a better athlete in space than people gave him credit for and even had two TD returns in his career at S.C.

Devin Taylor Interception vs. Arkansas - South Carolina Football 2011 - YouTube

He's only rated as a 6th rounder right now. I don't see his stock rising much higher unless another 3-4 team has the same bright idea. That bull rush displayed power you don't even see from Aldon smith. He might be able to develop into a very good linebacker with the right instruction.

Devin Taylor*|*South Carolina,*DE*:*2013 NFL Draft Scout Player Profile

He showed at the shrine that he's a better athlete in space than people gave him credit for and even had two TD returns in his career at S.C.

He's only rated as a 6th rounder right now. I don't see his stock rising much higher unless another 3-4 team has the same bright idea. That bull rush displayed power you don't even see from Aldon smith. He might be able to develop into a very good linebacker with the right instruction.

I've noticed him a few times and never understood why he wasn't more talked about. I would like to see us spend a pick on him in the fifth or sixth

When asked about his prodution in college/compared to the shrine game he said something to the effect of

"I was restricted in the system here i able to just go out and rush the passer"

Which was interesting..maybe he wasn't the designated rusher. HE could be a steal.

When asked about his prodution in college/compared to the shrine game he said something to the effect of

"I was restricted in the system here i able to just go out and rush the passer"

Which was interesting..maybe he wasn't the designated rusher. HE could be a steal.

Thinking the same thing, brother.

he seems a bit highcut though...as though he can't bend well.

edit...b4 even looking up his scouting report i was thinking above and then what do u know.

Devin Taylor, DE, South Carolina, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Unfortunately, due to his high-cut frame, he's also stiff, struggling with the flexibility necessary to turn the corner efficiently when he does cross the line. His terrific speed allows him to chase down ball-carriers and make flashy plays but too often Taylor is eluded in short spaces

Id prefer to take Michael Buchanan late and have him bulkup from 250 to 260. He is 6'5 ish and has better bend and flexibility.

edit...b4 even looking up his scouting report i was thinking above and then what do u know.

Id prefer to take Michael Buchanan late and have him bulkup from 250 to 260. He is 6'5 ish and has better bend and flexibility.

That evaluation is mostly based on his evaluation as a DE.

He'll be standing up primarily at linebacker so Im not sure if it really applies at the moment. I want to watch more film of the kid once he gets going in space. His hand use and surprising power impressed me.

I prefer bull rushers like shawne merriman (2005-2006) at right OLB to finesse guys anyway. I'll be reviewing more if his film this week.

I've noticed him a few times and never understood why he wasn't more talked about. I would like to see us spend a pick on him in the fifth or sixth

From 2010
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fgthdpafboU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

coverage abililty/footwork
:44
:56
1:05
6:12
6:33-7:00

blitzing
2:17

sack
2:26
6:21

closing speed

:23
:37
1:14
1:26
5:22
5:44

He's definitely been performing this way for a long time, I guess I just never imagined that he was quite an exceptional athlete standing up. His hands have also gotten stronger in the past two years it seems and he could be a very nice catch late. With his size and speed he could probably play on either side.

His Alabama tape seems to stand out the most.

I been pulling foe Braylon Broughton. Hope he can shine in TC.

From 2010
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fgthdpafboU" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

coverage abililty/footwork
:44
:56
1:05
6:12
6:33-7:00

blitzing
2:17

sack
2:26
6:21

closing speed

:23
:37
1:14
1:26
5:22
5:44

He's definitely been performing this way for a long time, I guess I just never imagined that he was quite an exceptional athlete standing up. His hands have also gotten stronger in the past two years it seems and he could be a very nice catch late. With his size and speed he could probably play on either side.

His Alabama tape seems to stand out the most.

With some coaching i can see a gamer.

He doesnt disengage well and he doesnt create space when he rushes. I saw him get locked up with the RT a lot. Heady player though......id like to see him use his arms length better to jolt guys b4 they get their hands on him

He doesnt disengage well and he doesnt create space when he rushes. I saw him get locked up with the RT a lot. Heady player though......id like to see him use his arms length better to jolt guys b4 they get their hands on him

Keep in mind, that was his sophomore film.

He was a lot better with his hand use at the shrine game and reportedly dominated tackles. He just needs to work on consistency with hand placement which i think is correctable. He may not have the vertical leap of Ezekiel Ansah but i would guess that his speed isn't too far behind. He needs a lot of work but he has natural ability that you just can't teach.

It's not impossible to play DE with a high cut body. Richard Dent was built like that. His teammates used to joke that his butt was so high that he could reach over his shoulder and take his wallet out of his pocket.

It's not impossible to play DE with a high cut body. Richard Dent was built like that. His teammates used to joke that his butt was so high that he could reach over his shoulder and take his wallet out of his pocket.

:spit:

Im highcut

Figured you might find this entertaining.

Aldon Smith making almost identical plays as Taylor made in the shrine game.

1:56 open-field tackle

:34 bull rush
Aldon Smith 2012 - YouTube

5:50 Great play Closing speed, out runs smaller qb at 275lbs and doesn't give up the angle
6:17 bull rushes, manhandles tackle for a sack
Devin Taylor (South Carolina), Mike Catapano (Princeton), Joe Vellano (Maryland) Shrine Game - YouTube

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom