The Makings of a Stud - Braylon Broughton and Aldon Smith (2 Viewers)

ETWhoDat

Hindsight is 50/50
Reaction score
Aldon Smith is arguably one of the best pass rushers in the league. He was highly sought-after for his rare blend of size, strength, and explosiveness to be a dominant 3-4 pass rusher in the NFL. While Broughton lacks the experience and perhaps the skills (although coachable), he is a much more physically imposing pass rushing prospect than Aldon Smith.

Aldon Smith

aldon-smith.jpg

6'4" 263 lbs

40 yard dash - straight line speed - 4.74
20 yard dash - acceleration - 2.70
10 yard dash - first step/explosiveness - 1.66
225 lb bench press reps - strength - 20
Vertical jump - explosiveness - 34"
Broad jump - explosiveness - 9'10"
20 yard shuttle - agility/acceleration - 4.50
3-cone drill - agility/acceleration - 7.19

Braylon Broughton

bbroughton1i.jpg

6'4" 257 lbs

40 yard dash - straight line speed - 4.55
20 yard dash - acceleration - 2.69
10 yard dash - first step/explosiveness - 1.61
225 lb bench press reps - strength - 26
Vertical jump - explosiveness - 36"
Broad jump - explosiveness - 9'10"
20 yard shuttle - agility/acceleration - 4.30
3-cone drill - agility/acceleration - 7.19

Obviously Braylon Broughton is no Aldon Smith, but I'm very excited to see what he's capable of as a 3-4 rush backer. 3-4 rush backers usually can rely heavily on physical attributes as they are often in 1-1 scenarios. Braylon is faster, stronger, has a quicker first step, and is just as agile and explosive if not slightly more agile and explosive than Aldon Smith. I can't wait to see how training camps goes.

Isn't that the guy who didn't start a game for TCU? Ill admit, his measurables look awesome but I don't recall any of him during preseason. It'll be interesting to see what difference a year makes. Obviously the coaching staff liked something about him enough to keep him on the PS.

Isn't that the guy who didn't start a game for TCU? Ill admit, his measurables look awesome but I don't recall any of him during preseason. It'll be interesting to see what difference a year makes. Obviously the coaching staff liked something about him enough to keep him on the PS.

Notes: The Texas native didn’t play football until his junior season of high school, preferring basketball. Originally committed to Arizona, but his enrollment was not approved by the NCAA Clearinghouse. Did not play football or attend school for the next year as he helped support his family, with his mother dying of cancer. Redshirted in 2007. Appeared in three games in ’08, posting one tackle, one tackle for loss and zero sacks. Recorded 8-½-0 with one batted pass in 11 contests in ’09. Played in all 13 games as a reserve in ’10 and collected 11-2-1 with two batted passes. Registered career highs with 25-6-2 with two passes batted down in 13 games in ’11. Started the first five games of the season before taking on a reserve role the rest of the season.
Bottom line: Looks every bit the part with a rocked-up, athletic build — has an NFL physique. Shows easy lower-body movement and has a 36-inch vertical leap. However, played just one season of high school football and started just five games as a senior at TCU — instincts, football IQ, hand use and pass-rush moves are rudimentary. Has never been able to focus solely on football, which has not come naturally, but is a hardworking, mature, very raw size-speed prospect with moldable talent and untapped potential. Ideally suited for the practice squad, as he will require patience and simple assignments.

So we already have our raw Ansah on the team. The Saints site has him listed at 6-6 272.

This guy looks like a monster, I hope maybe he can play like one in the future.

Looks really good and his numbers are excellent, just needs the right coach and time. Hope he can get that with us. It'll be interesting to see how he has progressed from last years off season.

So we already have our raw Ansah on the team. The Saints site has him listed at 6-6 272.

Watching him in preseason he's just never looked any taller than 6-2 or 6-3. I never understood where the 6-6 listing came from because he looks shorter than Martez Wilson on film.

He runs well and has good straight-line speed and has a short, stocky build like james harrison. He even has powerful and active hands and played some DT in the preseason last year Jacksonville. I think that he'll likely back up and compete with galette on the right side though he could probably provide depth at both spots.

This is exactly the kind of player the saints have been known to develop.All the numbers are there just has to take a little time.Chris Ivory comes to mind as an example.

This guy was supposed to take Jerry Hughes spot as DE in the TCU nickel defense (4-2-5) which Gary Patterson runs. He never was in any 3-4 sets. He was injured during spring training before his junior year and fell in the lineup. He was platooned with two other guys so his stats did not show up as many tackles as a high draft choice would.

TCU is known for recruiting the raw athletic types and putting them in the weight room. When Broughton arrived at TCU he was basically a talented basketball player from high school and was 6-6 and 210 pounds. He put on 60 pounds of muscle at TCU and is admittedly 'naturally strong'.

He fell out of the draft and we grabbed him last year as a UDFA. Last preseason I think he played in a couple games and got either a sack or a pick.

We will see more of him this year I can guarantee.

I liked him last year and was happy we held on to him. However, I feel we all jump to conclusions by trying to compare every player we have to an aldon smith or JPP. We would all love to have a guy like that; high motor, with speed and strength with the heart to never give up on a play. A UDFA typically does not provide you with that caliber of player and they usually have a flaw in their game and need to be coached up.

To be honest i feel like our Dline coaches and Linebacker coaches (even though i love Joe Vitt) are terrible at developing talent. where as NY Giants and San Fran excel in that department.

Ex:Wilson is every bit as physical as he looks but he never(my opinion) is used in the right way. And i just feel our staff never put him in a position to be that type of player. hopefully whoever we bring in is able to coach up this young talent we have (Hicks, Walker, Broughton, JG, Cam, etc.)​

Who's the last no name raw DE the Saints have "developed"?

Galette, Johnson, Hargrove, Hicks, McBride, Martez and Broughton (also Romeus) were developed to play Will Smiths spot in the 4-3. They never played that spot much because Smith made $10M a year and they are all making $1-2 M each.

The tweeners are no longer DEs. Galette and Broughton project as 3-4 rush backers and Martez as an inside backer. So they got their shot at 4-3 DE and none were stout enough to stop the run. That doesn't mean they didn't develop. Mickey isn't dumb enough to develop 3 or more players to oust Smith when he outweighs them by 25 pounds..

Watching him in preseason he's just never looked any taller than 6-2 or 6-3. I never understood where the 6-6 listing came from because he looks shorter than Martez Wilson on film.

He runs well and has good straight-line speed and has a short, stocky build like james harrison. He even has powerful and active hands and played some DT in the preseason last year Jacksonville. I think that he'll likely back up and compete with galette on the right side though he could probably provide depth at both spots.

Thats cuz hes closer to 6'4 6'3 lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom