The Mandalorian discussion thread (4 Viewers)

Alright, my son’s off the wall theory (or spot on???!!)
from KOTOR and some comics he has learned that there was actually a race of force users Sith (he described them as red faced) and our current Sith are descendants adaptations of the original Sith ‘species’
Since Star Wars is constantly on this yin/yang thing; it makes sense that if there was a species of Sith then there would be a species of Jedi - his speculation is that Yodas are actually the original Jedi (says that all 4 of the species we’ve seen have been force users)
He knows much more about this than I do, so I’m going with his theory until a better one comes along

from KOTOR and some comics he has learned that there was actually a race of force users Sith (he described them as red faced) and our current Sith are descendants adaptations of the original Sith ‘species’
Since Star Wars is constantly on this yin/yang thing; it makes sense that if there was a species of Sith then there would be a species of Jedi - his speculation is that Yodas are actually the original Jedi (says that all 4 of the species we’ve seen have been force users)
He knows much more about this than I do, so I’m going with his theory until a better one comes along

I'll have more tonadd to this when I'm not drunk. It involves a Topps trading cars from 1993.

Well, I finally broke down and binged all 11 episodes today. Two quick comments. One...Best series going right now. It was really fun from start to finish. Wife loved it as well. Two, this latest episode was the best of the series so far. That was a jam packed 36 minutes!

Now I gotta go back and read all of the spoiler tags. :hihi:

Ok, to revisit this...

Your son is correct that in the old Expanded Universe/Legends material the Sith were originally an alien race that were the precursors to the Sith order as we know it. As far as I know, this was not brought over into the new canon after the Disney purchase and now all we really know about the origins of the Sith are that they were founded by a rogue Jedi who left the order.

But to your point about Yoda's species, this is actually a theory that has been around since at least the early 90's. Lucas was really adamant about not revealing much about the species and even though he rubber stamped most of the Expanded Universe stuff for novels, comics, games, etc. and always made it clear he reserved the right to use what he wanted and ignore what he didn't like, he would frequently exercise veto power on anything that dealt with Yoda's species. This led to all kinds of speculation from fans, and a common theory was that Yoda's species were the first force users or some variant of that.

One of the things that drove this speculation was a trading card from the Topps Star Wars Galaxy card set in 1993. The card itself was never released because Lucas demanded that it be pulled and almost all of them were destroyed, but a few made it out in the wild. This is what it depicted:

Star-Wars-Galaxy-2-Promo-Card-P2-Yoda.jpg

This led lots of people to believe that there were at least some EU creatives that wanted to go in the direction of Yoda's species being the first force users, first Jedi, whatever, but that Lucas pulled the plug on it. So the idea is there and has been for a long time, even if it was never canon in any form. But Filoni and Favreau have shown a willingness to pull from the old EU. Could this be an idea they revisit? Would be interesting.

Honestly, this one was so action-packed it felt longer than 36 minutes. I was surprised when I saw that in the image. They did a heck of a lot of storytelling in 36 minutes!
It was 33 minutes according to the file I downloaded and over a minute of the beginning was devoted to catching us up on what happened on previous episodes not to mention the over a minute end credits.

Last edited:
The world building, or universe building, on this show is incredible. Everything feels so real and true to the original trilogy. Hard to explain but everything fits. This feels like Star Wars.

It's like the creators said, "Hey, let's not make this complicated. We have a Mandalorian on a quest in the Star Wars universe. Let's just have some fun and entertain the fans".

For me it's that simple. Just tell me a good story that takes place in the Star Wars universe. Give me awesome monsters, and aliens, and jet packs, and laser gun fights! I see some people complain that the show isn't "going anywhere". To me it's going everywhere! I want to spend as much time as I can in that galaxy far far away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom