The Martian (1 Viewer)

Also, I can't listen to any Bowie without getting misty eyed.

Tell me about it. I watched it the Saturday night after he passed, and when that segment began where they were getting ready to go rescue him, and "Starman" started up, I was the same way...

Movie’s been on a lot lately

Probably watched in 3 more times in the past month

Again, very well done movie

They cut my favorite line from the book about the “Mark Watney memorial crater”

I have Andy weirs new book Artemis but haven’t read it yet

I've never read the book, but have seen the movie several times. It's one of those movies I'll just watch if it's on. How closely did the storyline, and character development translate to the big screen? In the book, was Commander Lewis a gorgeous redhead?

I've never read the book, but have seen the movie several times. It's one of those movies I'll just watch if it's on. How closely did the storyline, and character development translate to the big screen? In the book, was Commander Lewis a gorgeous redhead?

Really close. An example of how adapting a book to screen should go (looking at you Ready Player One).

I loved it. I honestly laughed more than I can recall from any other book in years. Well worth the read, it's so good, I finished it in 2 days.

i have watched about 3/4 of the movie, laughed a lot. sadly, i will probably never finish it because it is the last thing my wife and i watched before her passing.

that said, how different is the book from the movie? if they are close, i’ll probably pick it up to finish the story, because i have tried, and i just can’t watch it.

i have watched about 3/4 of the movie, laughed a lot. sadly, i will probably never finish it because it is the last thing my wife and i watched before her passing.

that said, how different is the book from the movie? if they are close, i’ll probably pick it up to finish the story, because i have tried, and i just can’t watch it.

They're pretty similar. They skip some of the personal tribulations he goes through for the sake of screen time but you dont feel like it's missing in the movie. The book is literally "fix the problem in front of you, then worry about the next one" over and over again. And I mean that in the best way possible. You get to examine his thought process and witness the wheels in his turning first hand as he finds the solution...really great stuff. Some of that is missing from the movie, but the screenplay managed to still infer his struggles to the viewer without showing us the gauntlet of problems he encounters. It's a very honest and well done adaptation of the book...

....with one misstep. It's a salvageable misstep and was totally done to spread the "movie magic" through the cast. The scene I'm referring to involves the final rescue steps. But I at least get why they did it, although it's not true to the book or to what I imagine a well trained team of astronauts would have let happen, but hey...its a Mars rescue mission so I looked the other way. It's a minor misstep...(still staring at Ready Player One).

I recently learned the original actor thought for the role was Channing Tatum. Chew on that possibility.

If you folks weren't aware, Andy Weir has a new book out (came out at the beginning of May) called Project Hail Mary. It has the same feel as the Martian and was a great read. Definitely encourage you to check it out if you read and enjoyed the Martian.

Last edited:
fork this movie. fork it. fork everything about it.

Last edited:
In you folks weren't aware, Andy Weir has a new book out (came out at the beginning of May) called Project Hail Mary. It has the same feel as the Martian and was a great read. Definitely encourage you to check it out if you read and enjoyed the Martian.
It’s on my list

Craziest, or maybe the most interesting thing about the movie is that the Mars rescue plan to recover Mark Whitley actually was the result of days, weeks, and months of endless theoretical calculations from an obscure astrophysicist located in one of NASA's testing sites in Houston. Donald Glover's character, truly is the real hero of the show, although Damon's fellow NASA astronauts, and mission commander, are shown are hard-working, well-meaning, and conscientious. If it weren't for Glover's ostentatious but risky rescue plan, all of NASA, Whitley's fellow astronauts, the entire world would've watched him slowly starve to death on a faraway distant planet, helpless and powerless to save him and more then likely, Jessica Chastain's character puts a bullet in our head or drinks herself to death out of extreme guilt and shame for unknowingly leaving one of her crew behind.

As a viewer, one couldn't escape the internal torture, heightened sense of anxiety, fear and maybe even anger at herself intensity once she heard Mark Whitley wasnt dead after all and was stuck, marooned on Mars. The fact that she willingly disobeyed direct orders from NASA superiors to return to Earth first to resupply and not allow another NASA team to do it shows she wasnt going to allow someone else to fix a problem she believed she caused.

Last edited:
If you folks weren't aware, Andy Weir has a new book out (came out at the beginning of May) called Project Hail Mary. It has the same feel as the Martian and was a great read. Definitely encourage you to check it out if you read and enjoyed the Martian.
Just finished Hail Mary

Awesome book

If the Martian was an A+ Mary is a solid A

I liked the Martian a bit better

One of Weirs greatest strengths is being able to take complex and complicated math and science and making them understandable and relatable

Or at least you’re thinking ‘that sounds like it makes sense’ and you have a general idea of what they’re doing and why and don’t feel like everything is a mile over your head

Wonder if this will be made into a movie too

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom