The Masters Golf Tournament (1 Viewer)

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Well golf fans, it's time for the first men's major golf tournament of the 2019 season. The forecast this week is calling for increasing rain and thunderstorms throughout the week which will likely put a premium on posting some good scores in the first two rounds.

The smart money seems to be on guys like Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose. Rory for his recent performances, and Justin for his previously good performances at Augusta National. From what I see, the poor weather will favor a European with some Masters experience. Though a lot of people are still interested in seeing Tiger Woods return to the winner's ceremony (count me in on this as well), I would be much more likely favor a hot player like Kisner, Fleetwood, or Molineri. But guys like Rahm, Fowler, or Kuchar is not out of the question. It's hard to say why guys like Dustin Johnson can't seem to tame the course, but I would favor Justin Thomas over DJ on this setup.

Anyway, as always there should be some memorable moments this year and perhaps even a few surprises. Just imagine if a guy like Corey Conners who won the Valero Tournament last week as a Monday qualifier could pull off a miracle win this week on these hallowed grounds. That would make for a story even Hollywood couldn't write!

So, who you got in this one? :scratch:

Last edited:

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My lack of enthusiasm for Tiger predates, and has nothing to do with, his personal life. If anything, I find that what he has gone through has seemingly made him less arrogant, more human, and easier to root for. But there is an interesting article in today's New York Times about the stare Tiger gave on the 12th hole as Molinari and Finau took time trying to deal with their disasterous tee shots in the water.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
My lack of enthusiasm for Tiger predates, and has nothing to do with, his personal life. If anything, I find that what he has gone through has seemingly made him less arrogant and easier to root for. But there is an interesting article in today's New York Times about the stare Tiger gave on the 12th hole as Molinari and Finau took time trying to deal with their disasterous tee shots in the water.
I read the article, and I watched Tiger's 'stare'. While it makes for speculative journalism, it really wasn't much different from his stoic look that he had for most of the tournament. He may have even been in a bit of shock to know the door had been kicked open for him when Francesco rinsed his tee shot.

My guess is that he immediately began to think about how he had to adjust his thought process regarding the remaining holes. To that point he knew that he was going to have to take lots of low percentage shots... and make them... to have a legitimate chance at the green jacket. His game plan changed from that moment and that was evident by how he hit to 'safe' areas the rest of the way.

Tiger always had experience on his side in this 83rd edition of the Masters. But he obviously needed that break to ensure that he could use his experience to his advantage down the stretch. And he still had to play great golf the rest of the way... which means he had to stay focused. When he focuses, he stares just like he did on the Hogan Bridge.

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Something else to consider...
Probably the best thing that happened to Tiger Woods back on Amen Corner yesterday was to NOT have the honor on the #12 tee. Had Tiger not been able to watch the poor club selections made by his playing partners on Golden Bell (Hole 12), he would likely have pulled out too short of a club himself. If he had gone first off that tee box, then Finau & Molinari would have gotten the warning they needed to make the right shot. And it would possibly have been Tiger hitting his 3rd from the drop zone.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I am obviously in the minority. And a small one. But when it became apparent that Woods was going to win, I stopped watching. I cannot pull for him. I concede his extraordinary talent and dominance when he was younger. I recognize that he is "good" for golf--Tiger in contention at a major creates for the television networks delirium. But for me, pulling for Tiger is like pulling for IBM, or even worse the Dallas Cowboys.
You certainly have a right to your viewpoint. But, for me, Tiger is probably the most important player in golf because so many who would have had little or no interest in golf, do now. I think he came along at a very critical time for golf and while he is far from perfect and has had his issues, he has been the best ambassador the game has ever seen....

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
...he has been the best ambassador the game has ever seen....
Golf is an ancient game. There have been many deserving of the best of title for their era. Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, Tiger. So, to me, I think you have to define it by era. Tiger certainly is deserving of being crowned the most impactful and talented for his era - perhaps of all time but I have trouble with "best ever" titles. I wouldn't identify him as an ambassador though. No one really should own the "best of "based on different era's. However, if I were picking one it would probably be Gary Player for the golfing worlds best ambassador.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Golf is an ancient game. There have been many deserving of the best of title for their era. Jones, Palmer, Nicklaus, Tiger. So, to me, I think you have to define it by era. Tiger certainly is deserving of being crowned the most impactful and talented for his era - perhaps of all time but I have trouble with "best ever" titles. I wouldn't identify him as an ambassador though. No one really should own the "best of "based on different era's. However, if I were picking one it would probably be Gary Player for the golfing worlds best ambassador.
I suppose that there are different ways to define what you think an ambassador is . . . and there are even different kinds of ambassadors (because they do different things, but still qualify as such). I think Tiger made golf appealing and accessible to demographics in American life where the game was previously non-existent, literally. And I think he brings a general, popular energy that no golfer has ever brought - at least not in the breadth of his appeal to the general public. I think that very clearly makes him an ambassador of the game and if that impact is quantified, I think he's clearly one of the most impactful (if not the most impactful) ambassadors the sport has ever known.

A few stats of note (with citation):

- According to PGA-tracked statistics, in 1995 only six percent of "newcomers" to golf were non-caucasian. In 2017, that number was more than one-quarter (26%). If you had to identify a single most likely reason for that substantial increase over that time period, the answer is obviously Tiger Woods. N. 1 (below). For a sport struggling for decades to diversify, Tiger has made a singular, unmatched contribution.

- It is also well known in the world of television ratings that when Tiger Woods makes the cut and is in competition on Saturday and Sunday, golf's tv ratings jump to the tune 30% on average and even more in majors. When golf is drawing 30% more viewers - a substantial increase - it's absolutely good for the sport. It keeps the sport in the popular consciousness to a greater degree. It elevates the sport's public profile. It gets more people talking about it, and likely boosts tee times and other golf consumption the following week. And when that can all be attributed to a single player, it's obvious that person is transmitting golf to the viewing audience and general public in a way that no one else does. N. 2 (below).

- Other areas of impact that can be attributed, at least to some degree, to Tiger Woods: (1) PGA tour players' gross earnings including sponsorship/ad rev.; (2) the expansion of golf as a high-school competitive sport in the Tiger-era; (3) overall athleticism of the PGA pro community. https://www.stgeorgesgolf.com/Blog/May_2018/tiger-woods-effect.aspx

He's incontrovertibly an ambassador. And seems pretty obvious to me that he might be the most impactful ambassador the game has ever known - and that's based on the impact he brings that can be demonstrated with metrics and data. The "Best Ever" discussion is always tricky in any sport - it's way too subjective and way too hard to compare different eras.

N. 1:
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/sports-business/2018/12/09/nearly-white-membership-pga-america-looks-diversify
https://www.thengfq.com/2018/05/ngf-issues-2018-golf-industry-report/

N. 2:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tonifitzgerald/2018/08/13/does-tiger-woods-still-boost-tv-ratings-make-that-a-resounding-yes/#5cb7940c4005
https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2008-we-learned-what-happens-tv-ratings-when-tigers-not-around

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I do believe that in his prime he was the greatest golfer ever, and I do not question that he has had an incredible impact on the game--probably more than any other golfer--increasing greatly the number of people who will watch golf on television, the number of people who have played the game, and the amount of money professional golfers can make.

As a kid, I disliked the Boston Celtics because of their dominance (but I liked the Yankees and the Packers). It is what it is.

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I can't add much to what Chuck said and provided in his post above, which very much illustrates and supports what I was trying to say. I guess I'm defining ambassador as a figure that makes the sport appealing to the masses, that more or less revolutionizes the sport, there may be a better word for it but impactful sells it woefully short IMO. Again, I think the data Chuck provides very much supports that viewpoint.

Love Gary Player but there is no way he has had near the impact on the sport that Tiger has, it's really not even close....

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
Excellent research Super Chuck.

I was responding to the narrow scope of best ambassador ever. By ambassador I think of a person acting to represent or promote the sport of golf. Tiger is arguably the best ever at his sport and likely the most influential. However, I just never considered him to be the sport's ambassador. I always think of Gary Player when I think of an ambassador for that role. https://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2017/09/09/gary-player-is-still-astounding/#13a95e8d7040

Chuck,

Not to downplay your excellent research but from your first citation: "For the past two decades, with the emergence of Tiger Woods, [they were] hoping that would be the catalyst for diversification within the sport," he added. "But it has not occurred." Why not? "It's expensive, it's difficult [to master] and it takes time."

Just to be clear...you want get an argument from me if you ask me who the best, most influential golfer in the world is for the last what 20+ years. Tiger is and it't not even close. If you ask me who the best ever is...that is harder...but the list is about 2 or 3 long and he is on that list.

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was fun to watch it unfold yesterday. I've always liked Tiger but haven't always pulled for him. Reason being, his dominance. Always wondered about his longevity, because of how hard he would swing. Age starts to take its toll. But, he's so mentally strong, I could also see him learning a new swing and still be a top player.

I've played in a golf fantasy league for about 18 years, simply based off annual PGA earnings. Draft a team and add up their earnings at the end of the year. Early in his career, we had to come up with "Tiger" rules because whoever got first pick and drafted him ran away with the title. We even tried excluding him from the draft to make things even. Or if you picked Tiger, you couldn't pick again for three rounds then make three straight picks to catch up.

To win the Master in three different decades is incredible. But unlike Nicklaus, it's feasible that Tiger could win in a fourth as the 20's are just next year. It all depends on his physical back issues, because the skill and mental toughness are still there.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It was fun to watch it unfold yesterday. I've always liked Tiger but haven't always pulled for him. Reason being, his dominance. Always wondered about his longevity, because of how hard he would swing. Age starts to take its toll. But, he's so mentally strong, I could also see him learning a new swing and still be a top player.

I've played in a golf fantasy league for about 18 years, simply based off annual PGA earnings. Draft a team and add up their earnings at the end of the year. Early in his career, we had to come up with "Tiger" rules because whoever got first pick and drafted him ran away with the title. We even tried excluding him from the draft to make things even. Or if you picked Tiger, you couldn't pick again for three rounds then make three straight picks to catch up.

To win the Master in three different decades is incredible. But unlike Nicklaus, it's feasible that Tiger could win in a fourth as the 20's are just next year. It all depends on his physical back issues, because the skill and mental toughness are still there.
Tiger said yesterday at the press conference, “My body is not the same, but I have good hands.”

triumph

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Something else to consider...
Probably the best thing that happened to Tiger Woods back on Amen Corner yesterday was to NOT have the honor on the #12 tee. Had Tiger not been able to watch the poor club selections made by his playing partners on Golden Bell (Hole 12), he would likely have pulled out too short of a club himself. If he had gone first off that tee box, then Finau & Molinari would have gotten the warning they needed to make the right shot. And it would possibly have been Tiger hitting his 3rd from the drop zone.
He addressed this in one of his press conferences. It wasn't Molinari's shot that affected him. It was Koepka's shot. He know that Brooks would use a 9 and he said that he's stronger and can hold against the wind better than he can now. If Brooks ended up short, he couldn't go for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus SR News Page Articles 0

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom