The Masters Golf Tournament (1 Viewer)

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Well golf fans, it's time for the first men's major golf tournament of the 2019 season. The forecast this week is calling for increasing rain and thunderstorms throughout the week which will likely put a premium on posting some good scores in the first two rounds.

The smart money seems to be on guys like Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose. Rory for his recent performances, and Justin for his previously good performances at Augusta National. From what I see, the poor weather will favor a European with some Masters experience. Though a lot of people are still interested in seeing Tiger Woods return to the winner's ceremony (count me in on this as well), I would be much more likely favor a hot player like Kisner, Fleetwood, or Molineri. But guys like Rahm, Fowler, or Kuchar is not out of the question. It's hard to say why guys like Dustin Johnson can't seem to tame the course, but I would favor Justin Thomas over DJ on this setup.

Anyway, as always there should be some memorable moments this year and perhaps even a few surprises. Just imagine if a guy like Corey Conners who won the Valero Tournament last week as a Monday qualifier could pull off a miracle win this week on these hallowed grounds. That would make for a story even Hollywood couldn't write!

So, who you got in this one? :scratch:

Last edited:

Dan in Lafayette

Official SR Curmudgeon
Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Let's not forget the impact of Arnold Palmer as professional golf moved into the TV era in the 60's. My mother (aka June Cleaver) of all people, became enthralled with golf and was a member of Arnie's Army as he became more popular and golf was on TV. How the heck does that happen?

He was very charismatic and drew many people to the game that knew nothing about golf. Early on, Nicklaus was disliked because he was cutting into Arnie's fame. By the way, Seve Ballesteros' game was very reminiscent of Arnie's game.

Nicklaus, being the youngest of the Big Three (Palmer, Player and Nicklaus), trended into the next "era" where Lee Trevino and Tom Watson became his biggest competitors. Nicklaus then became the popular golfer as he won his many majors. The Bear era.

After that, along came Tiger. He was the new phenom. He was doing things that none of the previous greats had done. Again, golf's popularity rose.

Who filled the void during Tiger's long hiatus between major wins? Nobody really. But what we did see is the rise of a bunch of young golfers that idolized Tiger in their youth who have almost as good of a golf game as he did.

Justin Thomas
Dustin Johnson
Rickie Fowler
Jordan Spieth
Jon Rahm
Brooks Koepka

and many others that were drawn to golf by Tiger Woods.

Golf has had a very interesting ebb and flow over the years and different eras. I'll just sit back and enjoy. I just wish I could play worth a damn. Heck, I'd settle for a quarter of a damn. Maybe even an eighth.

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This time last year Tiger was ranked over 1000 and now he's back on top.

IMO, it's the greatest comeback ever. Stuff like this is why I love sports.

As great as Tiger is. I think he has more to do and this will propel him to more major championships.

Golf, like life, is hard. Also like life, Golf leaves no one else to blame for your faults. It's all you.

Tiger has gone through a massive transformation both physically and emotionally. He was basically bed ridden because of back issues. He was reliant on drugs and probably got sucked into that dark hole. He had embarassing life events. Infidelity, Divorce, dui, family strife and a collapse in physical ability leading to his massive decline in the game. It all played out before our eyes without much he could do about it... except get help. And he did. Surgery on his back was evidently done well. The personal issues appear to be behind him. And now he’s on top of the game he dominated for decades.

It’s impressive to say the least. I still think Jack is best alltime but the story of Tiger is epic.
#GoTiger

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Let's not forget the impact of Arnold Palmer as professional golf moved into the TV era in the 60's. My mother (aka June Cleaver) of all people, became enthralled with golf and was a member of Arnie's Army as he became more popular and golf was on TV. How the heck does that happen?

He was very charismatic and drew many people to the game that knew nothing about golf. Early on, Nicklaus was disliked because he was cutting into Arnie's fame. By the way, Seve Ballesteros' game was very reminiscent of Arnie's game.

Nicklaus, being the youngest of the Big Three (Palmer, Player and Nicklaus), trended into the next "era" where Lee Trevino and Tom Watson became his biggest competitors. Nicklaus then became the popular golfer as he won his many majors. The Bear era.

After that, along came Tiger. He was the new phenom. He was doing things that none of the previous greats had done. Again, golf's popularity rose.

Who filled the void during Tiger's long hiatus between major wins? Nobody really. But what we did see is the rise of a bunch of young golfers that idolized Tiger in their youth who have almost as good of a golf game as he did.

Justin Thomas
Dustin Johnson
Rickie Fowler
Jordan Spieth
Jon Rahm
Brooks Koepka

and many others that were drawn to golf by Tiger Woods.

Golf has had a very interesting ebb and flow over the years and different eras. I'll just sit back and enjoy. I just wish I could play worth a damn. Heck, I'd settle for a quarter of a damn. Maybe even an eighth.
^This is good stuff!^

It reminds me of the conversations that I have occasionally with our local golf pro who played on the tour in the 80s. He has often mentioned the effect that golfers like Arnold Palmer had on him as he chose golf as his career.

While there are certainly some golf diehards (like me) who will follow the sport no matter who is headlining on the tour. nothing beats having real favorite players that you become interested in following and watching their progress throughout their career.

It's much like any other professional sport. Every league markets their popular players as much as the sport itself, because fans enjoy having a 'hero'... someone specifically to cheer for. It's the same when it comes to any movie or TV series. If you don't care about the character(s), it's hard to care for the storyline.

So golf will always need it's 'heroes' to keep the masses tuned in. And when the storyline is a big as what has can be referred to as 'The Tiger Saga', it can keep both his fans and his haters hungry for more of what the future has to offer from his golfing career.

But the PGA Tour is desperate for some new 'Tigers' to fill the stage. Any new phenom exploding on the scene may never reach the level of an Arnold or a Jack or a Tiger for as long as Eldrick is still teeing it up on the tour, because it's hard for most people to shift their loyalties to a new favorite while the old one is still hoisting major trophies.

But I am always ready to welcome great golf no matter who is swinging the clubs. Because for those who truly love the game... this is what it's all about! 😁

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This time last year Tiger was ranked over 1000 and now he's back on top.

IMO, it's the greatest comeback ever. Stuff like this is why I love sports.

As great as Tiger is. I think he has more to do and this will propel him to more major championships.

Golf, like life, is hard. Also like life, Golf leaves no one else to blame for your faults. It's all you.

Tiger has gone through a massive transformation both physically and emotionally. He was basically bed ridden because of back issues. He was reliant on drugs and probably got sucked into that dark hole. He had embarassing life events. Infidelity, Divorce, dui, family strife and a collapse in physical ability leading to his massive decline in the game. It all played out before our eyes without much he could do about it... except get help. And he did. Surgery on his back was evidently done well. The personal issues appear to be behind him. And now he’s on top of the game he dominated for decades.

It’s impressive to say the least. I still think Jack is best alltime but the story of Tiger is epic.
#GoTiger
I believe there is going to be a problem with fans believing that Tiger is "all the way back". Tiger Woods can never return to what he once was. He said so himself in his post-Masters presser.

I will never expect as much from him as I once did. But that just means whatever he is able to accomplish going forward will be appreciated so much more. He simply cannot be dominant on the tour ever again, and anyone who doesn't understand that will become either critical or disappointed going forward. I'm just glad that I got a chance to witness some of the best professional golf ever played no matter where Tiger's game goes from here.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
He simply cannot be dominant on the tour ever again.
I wouldn't expect it, but I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility either. At the level he was at in his peak? No. But dominant? Sure, it's still possible for him to be dominant.

It depends on what you mean by dominant I guess.

If dominating means winning more tournaments than anyone else and being number 1 in the world again? Yeah, I think that's possible. Like I said, I don't expect it, but I didn't expect him to come back this strong either. He just won a major, and was in strong contention in the two before that.

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It depends on what you mean by dominant I guess.
During Tiger's best stretch he was winning golf tournaments at a rate of (nearly) 1 out of every 3 he played. At that time folks quite literally expected him to win every time he teed it up.

And right now he is the betting favorite to win the PGA Championship next month. Both of those things would be fun to hope for if Tiger is your favorite golfer, but it would be foolish for it to become anyone's realistic expectation once again... even Tiger's!

Brown

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I believe there is going to be a problem with fans believing that Tiger is "all the way back". Tiger Woods can never return to what he once was. He said so himself in his post-Masters presser.

I will never expect as much from him as I once did. But that just means whatever he is able to accomplish going forward will be appreciated so much more. He simply cannot be dominant on the tour ever again, and anyone who doesn't understand that will become either critical or disappointed going forward. I'm just glad that I got a chance to witness some of the best professional golf ever played no matter where Tiger's game goes from here.
I didn’t mean to imply that he’d dominate again. Age plays a big part. Competition is also relevant and There are several very good players on tour now too.

I’m just saying that I think he can be expected to match Jack on majors now.

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’m just saying that I think he can be expected to match Jack on majors now.
Not absolutely impossible. But really off the 'charts of likelihood'.
This reasoning is the danger going forward for Tiger Woods fans.

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Great comeback story. This is 30 for 30 material.

But I don't think he will catch Jack. I thought Tiger would run away with the most tiles and most majors 10 years ago....but time and injuries have taken a toll.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not absolutely impossible. But really off the 'charts of likelihood'.
This reasoning is the danger going forward for Tiger Woods fans.
Yeah, with his past health issues, it's going to be tough to sustain any extended period of momentum at this point in his life. I think he'll have to pick and choose his spots. Normally, the tour is a tough, tough grind, so he'll probably have to significantly reduce the number of tournaments he participates in. I'm curious to see if he's able to continue this level of play.

He's also gonna have less room for error too. He's physically not where he was during his prime when he could make mistakes and rely on his talent to get him out of a jam. That said, he's more than capable of making the most of what he has now. Good for him.

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
During Tiger's best stretch he was winning golf tournaments at a rate of (nearly) 1 out of every 3 he played. At that time folks quite literally expected him to win every time he teed it up.

And right now he is the betting favorite to win the PGA Championship next month. Both of those things would be fun to hope for if Tiger is your favorite golfer, but it would be foolish for it to become anyone's realistic expectation once again... even Tiger's!
Then we agree. It is fun to hope for, but not realistic to expect. All I'm saying is it's possible he can still be dominant without getting to that 1 out of 3 level of domination.

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Then we agree. It is fun to hope for, but not realistic to expect. All I'm saying is it's possible he can still be dominant without getting to that 1 out of 3 level of domination.
Just that he is legitimate again is great for the sport!
That him name might be found near the top of a leaderboard once again is something that has the entire golfing world abuzz.

Let's just hope we continue to see it there for a long time! :9:

SoggyBottomBoy

I'm with you fellers.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score

There was a period in Tiger's prime that we talked about taking either Tiger or the rest of field in a wager. Think about that.

OP
OP
Bill

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom