The Masters Golf Tournament (1 Viewer)

Totally off topic, but that background at the Masters is AMAZING!!!!!

All of that lush green & those beautiful flowers, are spectacular!

Sorry to interrupt, I just had to say that.
That's pretty much the same pristine landscaped look of Augusta National every year. Sadly the azaleas are past their peak and the rainy/cloudy conditions are keeping the grounds from looking their best. But it's still an amazingly beautiful course that has even bigger elevation changes than it appears on TV.

But as far as the tournament is concerned, it looks like the excitement will be big this weekend with all those top players on the leaderboard. As long as Tiger can remain in that mix, golf fans will be tuned in to see if he can come all the way back.

Observations going into Round Two at the Masters:

*Brooks Koepka deserves more respect as a pro golfer. His name was hardly mentioned leading up to this first major championship, but he is in cruise control and hasn't even broken a sweat so far.

*Rory McIlroy may be putting too much pressure on himself to complete his 'Slam' knowing that the Masters is the only thing missing on his career resume'.

*This won't be Tiger's tournament this year. Still has to find a reliable putting stroke.

*When DeChambeau is hot, he is hard to beat. Unless his 'calculator batteries' go out, I expect to see him in the mix on Sunday.

*No matter how rough Mickelson's weeks are leading up to the Masters, he manages to put himself on the leaderboard on the weekend. Phil could possibly end up the oldest major champ ever this Sunday. Quite an accomplishment!

*The guys who excel in wet conditions have a distinct advantage the rest of the way. From here on out it will be a soggy track. The Europeans must be loving this.

*How does Bernhard Langer continue to contend in this tournament... even at age 61?!?! He's an amazing golfer!

*Fowler, Day, and Kuchar will fade in this one once again. Same with Garcia... and he ain't even mad yet. He better be glad he got his green jacket two years ago. His meter may have expired.

*I think Reed will be happy just to make the cut this year. It would be humiliating to have to stick around for two extra days doing nothing just so you can put a jacket on a new champion on Sunday afternoon.

*Biggest surprise after Round One? - Four words: Mike Weir, Even Par

Pretty much agree with all of your initial assessments, Bill.

Looking at the leader board after day 2, this is shaping up to be another great Masters weekend.

I like Jason day a lot, but watching him limp around the course and getting medical attention while playing the first round was painful to watch. But yet the fact that he is tied for the lead after 2nd round is amazing.

I don't know why Koepka wasn't given more hype as I also thought he would be a contender.

I expected Molinari to compete. He's looked good so far.

Surprised that Scott and Oosthuizen are in the leader mix.

DJ is great from tee to green, but his putting from event to event is all over the place. He's got a shot, but I am not expecting much. The chip-in birdie on 15 after putting one in the hazard was impressive though.

Woods is in the mix, but his putting was all over the place. Outside 25' he rocked. Inside 10', he was a fail. In his heyday, Tiger was much more aggressive with his putts inside 10'. As soft and slow (relative the usual Augusta speed), he continued to try to have his shorter putts die at the hole instead of being more aggressive.

Schauffele has been a solid player the last couple of years.

-5 to -1

There is really a very good group that are 2 to 6 strokes back.

Rham is certainly in the mix if he can control his temper.

Mickelson is just baffling. Every time they showed him in the coverage today, it seemed he was hitting out of the pine needles, but in typical Phil fashion, he is still in this. Win one for the old guys, Phil.

One of my dark horses for this tourney was Tony Finau. He's worth watching.

I don't know what to make of Bryson "Einstein" DeChambeau.

Justin Thomas is not to be discounted. Much like the US Open, he could easily crank out a 63 if he gets hot (much to Johnny Miller's chagrin).

I have the feeling Rickie Fowler will retain the title of the "best player never to have won a major" title.

And one last thought, don't count out Jordan Spieth. He has the best record over this course over the last several years. Just last year, if I remember correctly, Spieth came from 9 down in the last round to tie Reed after Spieth played 16 holes. He finished third. He loves Augusta.

That's all this old golf fan has got. Just because I can't play the game doesn't mean I cannot be a knowledgeable about how it is supposed to be played. I suck at golf. Just ask Bill.

Last edited:
Woods is in the mix, but his putting was all over the place. Outside 25' he rocked. Inside 10', he was a fail. In his heyday, Tiger was much more aggressive with his putts inside 10'. As soft and slow (relative the usual Augusta speed), he continued to try to have his shorter putts die at the hole instead of being more aggressive.

I suck at golf. Just ask Bill.
Nice assessment Dan. :9:

I'll just add a couple of things to keep in mind...

I truly expected to see Tiger Woods put more pressure on himself to get back in the winner's circle at Augusta and see more mistakes from him as a result. However his demeanor has been calm and has helped to keep him out of the pine straw for much of the first two rounds. To me this is a testament to how hard he is working with the big stick lately. But his amazing improvement off the tee boxes is being offset by his struggles to make the close(r) putts. The 'old' Tiger used to be deadly from inside of 7 feet where he missed four putts from inside that length yesterday. Had he been sharp at those close ones in Round Two (and all else stayed the same) he'd have been sleeping on a three stroke lead going into the weekend.

True, he made a few long ones that even he couldn't have expected to make, and everyone has missed a few of those short ones... but just from what we saw from Tiger in the first two rounds has moved him up to the betting favorite to don a fifth green jacket. Speaking of that, prior to the Masters the news came out that one gambler laid $85,000.00 on Tiger Woods to win. At 14 to 1 that bet would rake in $1.2 million! Now that Tiger is the betting favorite (previously held by Rory McIlroy) that dude must be smiling pretty hard at all the negative comments made by other bettors. And he could be smiling all the way to the bank if Tiger's flat stick starts cooperating from short range.

But keep in mind Dan that everyone sucks at golf. No one is immune to bad golf. Some just suck a lot more often than others. :hihi:

The weather will go downhill at Augusta National this weekend. All the players will have to adjust, and that's why I think the European Tour players will have an advantage. But with all the big names hovering around the top of the leaderboard, it's bound to be a fun and exciting weekend of majors golf! ?

Last edited:
Has anyone asked Tiger and Phil why they're suddenly chewing gum?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom