The Masters Golf Tournament (1 Viewer)

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Well golf fans, it's time for the first men's major golf tournament of the 2019 season. The forecast this week is calling for increasing rain and thunderstorms throughout the week which will likely put a premium on posting some good scores in the first two rounds.

The smart money seems to be on guys like Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose. Rory for his recent performances, and Justin for his previously good performances at Augusta National. From what I see, the poor weather will favor a European with some Masters experience. Though a lot of people are still interested in seeing Tiger Woods return to the winner's ceremony (count me in on this as well), I would be much more likely favor a hot player like Kisner, Fleetwood, or Molineri. But guys like Rahm, Fowler, or Kuchar is not out of the question. It's hard to say why guys like Dustin Johnson can't seem to tame the course, but I would favor Justin Thomas over DJ on this setup.

Anyway, as always there should be some memorable moments this year and perhaps even a few surprises. Just imagine if a guy like Corey Conners who won the Valero Tournament last week as a Monday qualifier could pull off a miracle win this week on these hallowed grounds. That would make for a story even Hollywood couldn't write!

So, who you got in this one? :scratch:

Last edited:

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty awesome Nike ad
I'm declining to view now because I'm pretty sure I'll be sick of it soon enough.
Interesting tidbit: you don't get to bring your green jacket home with you. You have to keep it in your locker at Augusta, so you can only wear it when you're at Augusta.
You didn't know that? What I learned this week is that Jack Nicklaus is colorblind.

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit: you don't get to bring your green jacket home with you. You have to keep it in your locker at Augusta, so you can only wear it when you're at Augusta.
You get to keep it for a year when you win it, then it goes back to Augusta at the next year's ceremony. You can find lots of pics of winners sporting their jackets in public.

MTDB1983

Very Banned
Reaction score
Wow… What a moment. To watch him hug his son in a relinquishment of all the energy he has no doubt been holding since Thursday morning, was tear jerking. The man has seen every high the game of golf can offer, and every low life can offer.

I never thought I’d see him win another
major, and definitely not the Masters. But Augusta is the jungle and Tiger is king. (Lions don’t even live in jungles so that saying is stupid)

What a thrill. I soaked up the last 30 mins of legendary sports casting that will be played over and over for the next 40 years, especially Verne Lundquist’s call on 16. The way he let the moment breathe after Tiger put it within 2 feet. I sat there, stoic, reminding myself that this moment will live forevermore in Golf infamy, and I saw it live.

What a moment to add to a tradition unlike any other.

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You get to keep it for a year when you win it, then it goes back to Augusta at the next year's ceremony. You can find lots of pics of winners sporting their jackets in public.

Wait, someone above said that you can only wear the jacket while AT Augusta.. which is it?

BTW, and again i’m no fan of golf so i plead ignorance - but what if i were to somehow snag a ticket to be in the crowd for the Masters and that day i decided to wear, oh i don’t know- a green jacket... how would that go over? Would i be kicked out?

mjcouvi

Hi
Reaction score
The green jacket is reserved for Augusta National members and golfers who win the Masters. Jackets are kept on club grounds, and taking them off the premises is forbidden.

The exception is for the winner, who can take it home and return it to the club the following year.
Gary Player, who became the tournament’s first international winner in 1961, said he didn’t know that.

After losing a playoff in 1962 to Arnold Palmer, he packed the jacket and took it to his home in South Africa.

That led to a call from club Chairman Clifford Roberts, who was a stickler for rules.

“I didn’t know you were supposed to leave it there,” Player said. “Next thing you know, there was a call from Mr. Roberts.”

According to Player, here’s how the exchange went:

“‘Gary, have you got the jacket?’

“I said, ‘Yes, I do.’

“He said, ‘Well, no one ever takes the jacket away from here.’

“And I said, ‘Well, Mr. Roberts, if you want it, why don’t you come and fetch it?’”

Roberts, who didn’t lose many arguments, agreed to a compromise.

“He kind of chuckled and said don’t wear it in public,” Player said.
http://www.augusta.com/masters/story/news/masters-traditions-green-jackets

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
Here's Patrick Reed wearing his at an NBA game. I saw one on tv a while back of Phil in a Mickey D's drivethru but can't find it.

MTDB1983

Very Banned
Reaction score
Did anyone else feel the awkwardness when the Chairman said that Reed has been a great champion for them over the last year?

I mean outside of being perhaps the most divisive player in Golf over the last year, and outside of his immaturity, and outside of his whining at the Ryder Cup, I guess he’s been a great champion?

Mr. Blue Sky

Still P***ed at Yoko
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Did anyone else feel the awkwardness when the Chairman said that Reed has been a great champion for them over the last year?

I mean outside of being perhaps the most divisive player in Golf over the last year, and outside of his immaturity, and outside of his whining at the Ryder Cup, I guess he’s been a great champion?

I heard something similar earlier today.. what exactly did he say or do?

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Something we can all agree on:

The sport is just so much more compelling with Tiger on top of his game. For a good stretch of time I thought we'd never see this again.

Amazing, amazing moment.

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Here's Patrick Reed wearing his at an NBA game. I saw one on tv a while back of Phil in a Mickey D's drivethru but can't find it.
That is the hilarious drive through that I love.....Taco Bell, Jack In The Box etc. There are a bunch of funny episodes with different players that they have done. Half the kids that work there probably don’t even know what the green jacket means. It is great to see the players having fun with it though! 👍🍺

LuvNOLA

WHO DAT
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Something we can all agree on:

The sport is just so much more compelling with Tiger on top of his game. For a good stretch of time I thought we'd never see this again.

Amazing, amazing moment.
Tiger has had some AMAZING surgeons to get him through 8 surgeries & to stand upright & win today.

I was wondering about that, like......what?????!!!!

But I thought the Chairman had some sort of decorum where they have to say something positive about the previous winner.

Also, perhaps Reed had done some PR stuff for the Masters that the Chairman was grateful for??? Who knows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Andrus SR News Page Articles 0

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom