The Masters Golf Tournament (1 Viewer)

Bill

Thirsty for more!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Well golf fans, it's time for the first men's major golf tournament of the 2019 season. The forecast this week is calling for increasing rain and thunderstorms throughout the week which will likely put a premium on posting some good scores in the first two rounds.

The smart money seems to be on guys like Rory McIlroy and Justin Rose. Rory for his recent performances, and Justin for his previously good performances at Augusta National. From what I see, the poor weather will favor a European with some Masters experience. Though a lot of people are still interested in seeing Tiger Woods return to the winner's ceremony (count me in on this as well), I would be much more likely favor a hot player like Kisner, Fleetwood, or Molineri. But guys like Rahm, Fowler, or Kuchar is not out of the question. It's hard to say why guys like Dustin Johnson can't seem to tame the course, but I would favor Justin Thomas over DJ on this setup.

Anyway, as always there should be some memorable moments this year and perhaps even a few surprises. Just imagine if a guy like Corey Conners who won the Valero Tournament last week as a Monday qualifier could pull off a miracle win this week on these hallowed grounds. That would make for a story even Hollywood couldn't write!

So, who you got in this one? :scratch:

Last edited:
Still a long way to go in this one, but for Tiger Woods fans out there, he has been showing some great driving skills through Hole 11. but his putter has been cold as ice. He missed several putts inside of 6 feet that would have him at or near the top of the leaderboard.

But right now none of the other big names are doing anything special at Augusta National. However the last group is just starting at Hole 1. I would have thought the scores would better with the good weather today. But the best score right now is just -3. :scratch:

Observations going into Round Two at the Masters:

*Brooks Koepka deserves more respect as a pro golfer. His name was hardly mentioned leading up to this first major championship, but he is in cruise control and hasn't even broken a sweat so far.

*Rory McIlroy may be putting too much pressure on himself to complete his 'Slam' knowing that the Masters is the only thing missing on his career resume'.

*This won't be Tiger's tournament this year. Still has to find a reliable putting stroke.

*When DeChambeau is hot, he is hard to beat. Unless his 'calculator batteries' go out, I expect to see him in the mix on Sunday.

*No matter how rough Mickelson's weeks are leading up to the Masters, he manages to put himself on the leaderboard on the weekend. Phil could possibly end up the oldest major champ ever this Sunday. Quite an accomplishment!

*The guys who excel in wet conditions have a distinct advantage the rest of the way. From here on out it will be a soggy track. The Europeans must be loving this.

*How does Bernhard Langer continue to contend in this tournament... even at age 61?!?! He's an amazing golfer!

*Fowler, Day, and Kuchar will fade in this one once again. Same with Garcia... and he ain't even mad yet. He better be glad he got his green jacket two years ago. His meter may have expired.

*I think Reed will be happy just to make the cut this year. It would be humiliating to have to stick around for two extra days doing nothing just so you can put a jacket on a new champion on Sunday afternoon.

*Biggest surprise after Round One? - Four words: Mike Weir, Even Par

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Koepka already dropped three shots today but got two back through four holes. +1 so far. Birdie, double bogey, birdie, bogey. Sensing a pattern. Hope he gets it back to form. I've always quietly liked him.

Duh-Winning-55132393261.png

Actually I expected Molinari to have a good Masters tournament because he can make his way around bad weather and he's been swinging a hot putter.

A green jacket for him wouldn't surprise me at all.

No sooner I say something negative about Jason Day (with his bad back), then he starts putting on a clinic and shoots up to one stroke off the lead!

This is why I don't gamble. :covri:

Rooting for Tiger as always. Hoping he has a strong finish here on the last few holes to make it atop the board. Like you said though Bill, his putting is just not quite there. If it were, he'd be leading by a few. I heard one of the commentators say earlier that he can't spend as much time on the greens as he used to because of his back. ...As I type this he makes an incredible escape from the trees and a great putt for birdie on the 14th...

Tiger almost got his knee taken out by a security guy running to cover behind him ! Slipped and wiped out.

Last edited:
Totally off topic, but that background at the Masters is AMAZING!!!!!

All of that lush green & those beautiful flowers, are spectacular!

Sorry to interrupt, I just had to say that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom