The Masters Golf Tournament (2 Viewers)

The green jacket is reserved for Augusta National members and golfers who win the Masters. Jackets are kept on club grounds, and taking them off the premises is forbidden.

The exception is for the winner, who can take it home and return it to the club the following year.
Gary Player, who became the tournament’s first international winner in 1961, said he didn’t know that.

After losing a playoff in 1962 to Arnold Palmer, he packed the jacket and took it to his home in South Africa.

That led to a call from club Chairman Clifford Roberts, who was a stickler for rules.

“I didn’t know you were supposed to leave it there,” Player said. “Next thing you know, there was a call from Mr. Roberts.”

According to Player, here’s how the exchange went:

“‘Gary, have you got the jacket?’

“I said, ‘Yes, I do.’

“He said, ‘Well, no one ever takes the jacket away from here.’

“And I said, ‘Well, Mr. Roberts, if you want it, why don’t you come and fetch it?’”

Roberts, who didn’t lose many arguments, agreed to a compromise.

“He kind of chuckled and said don’t wear it in public,” Player said.
http://www.augusta.com/masters/story/news/masters-traditions-green-jackets

Here's Patrick Reed wearing his at an NBA game. I saw one on tv a while back of Phil in a Mickey D's drivethru but can't find it.

Did anyone else feel the awkwardness when the Chairman said that Reed has been a great champion for them over the last year?

I mean outside of being perhaps the most divisive player in Golf over the last year, and outside of his immaturity, and outside of his whining at the Ryder Cup, I guess he’s been a great champion?

Did anyone else feel the awkwardness when the Chairman said that Reed has been a great champion for them over the last year?

I mean outside of being perhaps the most divisive player in Golf over the last year, and outside of his immaturity, and outside of his whining at the Ryder Cup, I guess he’s been a great champion?

I heard something similar earlier today.. what exactly did he say or do?

Something we can all agree on:

The sport is just so much more compelling with Tiger on top of his game. For a good stretch of time I thought we'd never see this again.

Amazing, amazing moment.

Here's Patrick Reed wearing his at an NBA game. I saw one on tv a while back of Phil in a Mickey D's drivethru but can't find it.

That is the hilarious drive through that I love.....Taco Bell, Jack In The Box etc. There are a bunch of funny episodes with different players that they have done. Half the kids that work there probably don’t even know what the green jacket means. It is great to see the players having fun with it though! ??

Something we can all agree on:

The sport is just so much more compelling with Tiger on top of his game. For a good stretch of time I thought we'd never see this again.

Amazing, amazing moment.

Tiger has had some AMAZING surgeons to get him through 8 surgeries & to stand upright & win today.

I was wondering about that, like......what?????!!!!

But I thought the Chairman had some sort of decorum where they have to say something positive about the previous winner.

Also, perhaps Reed had done some PR stuff for the Masters that the Chairman was grateful for??? Who knows.

You get to keep it for a year when you win it, then it goes back to Augusta at the next year's ceremony. You can find lots of pics of winners sporting their jackets in public.
Exactly. Most Masters winners donned their green jackets when they made their customary appearance on the Tonight Show.
Sergio Garcia even wore his when he got married.

sergioangelagarcia-847-jenniferlindbergweddings.jpg

i hope the jackets are left in the locker room just for sheets and giggles.

The point of the tradition is that outside of Augusta National there is only one current Masters Champion. So the winner each year becomes the ambassador for the tournament and wears his jacket publicly to notable events. But when all the remaining past Masters champions get back together each year for Masters Week, they wear their jackets on the premises. All the past jackets are kept in storage at Augusta National. And even if your original one doesn't fit any longer, they have all sizes so that you can be clad in green for the champion's dinner and any other club events.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom