The maturity of our roster. Why it is taking time to sign free agents (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Every year we learn that teams that "win" free agency are not winning later in the year.

It is very clear why. Normally teams that go deep in free agency have a lot of cap space and at the same time, a lot of holes in their roster.

Miami is doing great these couple of days, but just look at their current roster. Cleveland and Indianapolis are at the same case.

Now, look at the saints roster. We have depth, we have an interesting mix of young players and veterans and because of that, we don't have enough cap money.

Just think about this, with many signings all around, the only player we are losing so far is A.J. Klein. We also have two very important signings in Drew Brees and David Onyematta.

I am certain that the saints will be playing the free agent game, but the priority is and should be to keep our young core players. I am certain that at similar price, Bell will be more important to keep then bringing a free agent to play the position.

There is always a second wave of free agents, those released right after the draft. They come at a point when team have already spend their available money, and these released players don't count on the supplementary picks system.

There is a chance that we may sign a complementary receiver to Michael Thomas, but the contract should fit the budget.

With the draft class, teams will may pause before giving big contracts to the available free agents. These free agents may need to take a short-bridge contract thinking on getting a better one in a year or two.

If this is the case, I can't think of a better place to showcase your talent then we the saints. You have the system and the quarterback.

So be patient, right now focus on our players, and chances are, opportunities will come to sign a bargain or two.

We are not re-building, we are trying to make a very strong roster, even better.

The approach is sign 5-6 decent solid pieces, so you're not drafting for need.

Rather than 1-2 High priced, flashy prized signings but general overpay.

Some people just need to exercise patience for a few more days until we get past this first initial wave of Free agency then the better deal contracts will come along.

it pretty much comes down to this:

The Saints set a max price point they’re willing to spend on every free agent. If the bidding exceeds it, they move on.

They obviously wanted Collins, but not at that price. For whatever reason. And I’m sure any other FA they have pursued/are pursuing either got a better offer or they’re waiting to see if they get a better one.

Every year we learn that teams that "win" free agency are not winning later in the year.

It is very clear why. Normally teams that go deep in free agency have a lot of cap space and at the same time, a lot of holes in their roster.

Miami is doing great these couple of days, but just look at their current roster. Cleveland and Indianapolis are at the same case.

Now, look at the saints roster. We have depth, we have an interesting mix of young players and veterans and because of that, we don't have enough cap money.

Just think about this, with many signings all around, the only player we are losing so far is A.J. Klein. We also have two very important signings in Drew Brees and David Onyematta.

I am certain that the saints will be playing the free agent game, but the priority is and should be to keep our young core players. I am certain that at similar price, Bell will be more important to keep then bringing a free agent to play the position.

There is always a second wave of free agents, those released right after the draft. They come at a point when team have already spend their available money, and these released players don't count on the supplementary picks system.

There is a chance that we may sign a complementary receiver to Michael Thomas, but the contract should fit the budget.

With the draft class, teams will may pause before giving big contracts to the available free agents. These free agents may need to take a short-bridge contract thinking on getting a better one in a year or two.

If this is the case, I can't think of a better place to showcase your talent then we the saints. You have the system and the quarterback.

So be patient, right now focus on our players, and chances are, opportunities will come to sign a bargain or two.

We are not re-building, we are trying to make a very strong roster, even better.
Great post. Your right the Saints need to get those good value free agents, be efficient as usual with the draft and find another gem in the UDFA pool.

If the past few years have shown us anything it's, how important it is to have a deep roster with a plethora of very good dudes that can step in & play @ high level when called upon to do so. :facts3:

*edit*.. especially with 17 games.

Last edited:
it pretty much comes down to this:

The Saints set a max price point they’re willing to spend on every free agent. If the bidding exceeds it, they move on.

They obviously wanted Collins, but not at that price. For whatever reason. And I’m sure any other FA they have pursued/are pursuing either got a better offer or they’re waiting to see if they get a better one.

They can only do so much with budget restraints. Right now the goal is to mitigate losses more than improve. Hopefully we can find a way to improve through the draft.

They can only do so much with budget restraints. Right now the goal is to mitigate losses more than improve. Hopefully we can find a way to improve through the draft.

Not only the draft. I still think that, even without a lot of money, we are a very attractive destination for players that won't be able to get the contract they thought they will get.

If you are ready for a gamble for a year or two year contract, I can't think right now of a better place then the saints.

Opportunities will come for us.

They can restructure deals if they want. Plenty of candidates.

But it doesn’t make sense to do it unless/until they want to sign someone.

They can restructure deals if they want. Plenty of candidates.

But it doesn’t make sense to do it unless/until they want to sign someone.
I think we also have to factor looking ahead to next season when Ramczyk, Lattimore, and Kamara's rookie deals all expire along with Marcus Williams, and Anzalone. While Demario Davis, and Sheldon Rankins' deals expire as well.

The big picture is It's short sighted to start restructuring deals hastily to add Day 1, or Day 2 big money free agents with so many key contributors deals expiring next year. Loomis will have to think long and hard before pushing money back, and it will need to be for someone low risk who will have to add value immediately to this 2020 roster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom