The Meaning of 9 - Not Brees, but Sharper (1 Viewer)

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Reaction score
You say you want a revolution on defense, well ya know, it's gonna be alright.

If Eli Manning can continue to be Sharper's Welsh Rarebit

Number nine, number nine, number nine, number nine
Number nine, number nine, number...
...Then there's this Welsh Rarebit wearing some brown underpants

well, we can hope for 1-3 picks from our rejuvenated Darren Sharper on Sunday. Maybe his hot streak this year and his hot streak against Eli ends, but I choose to hope for more. Sharper has 5 thefts so far this season (2 to the house) leaving him with 59 (and 10) for his career. If he can get 9 more interceptions in the next 12 games he'd tie Night Train Lane for the NFL record for a season, and simultaneously tie Night Train Lane for #4 all time in career interceptions at 68. Throw in 2 more to the house and he ties the all time single season record for pick-6, and ties Woodson for the career mark at 12.

If you can tie one of the greatest thieves of all time, well, you've just become a 1st ballot Hall of Famer. We all hope that our other #9 is on his way to Canton, but it sure would be nice to have our first deserving candidate on defense since Rickey was here. Maybe it's only 3 years at the end of his career, but I'll buy what Darren's selling so far.

Sometimes rooting for individual stats goes against the team effort and winning, but I can't imagine that seeing Sharper grab two against Eli tomorrow could happen without us winning the game. So more than anything I'm rooting for Eli to complete at least two to #42, cutting the magic number to 7 over the last 11 games.

Even if, hypothetically, Sharper plays here for 2 more seasons after this and makes the pro bowl in 2 out of the 3, would we really get bragging rights for him making it in the HOF? He already had a full career before he got here.

I agree with the above poster...or more simply put, 'This^^^^^^^.'

I wouldn't have a problem with Sharper going into the HOF as a Packer, but if he won two? Why would he want to go with the Packers. Seems like people remember the last most important thing you did.

You don't go into the HOF as anything but yourself in the NFL. If by pointing out only a few years of his career would be here would he be "ours" as fans in the way that Roaf will be, no. Does that really matter? I like him as a man and as our player and what he's doing here. I'd love to see him seal the deal for himself as a 1st ballot guy by playing lights out for us though.

Roaf will be in years before him, so it's not like it has much to do with being a special event for the Saints, but this year and the next few could be special for us in large part due to his efforts.

Well, since we're speaking hypothetically here, if Sharper won two superbowls with the Saints, and had his 3 best seasons statistically with the Saints, due to the defensive philosophy and leeway the coaches gave him, why wouldn't he want to go in as a Saint. After all, it would be a crowning achievement to a stellar career, made possible at a time where no other team really wanted him, at a time where most guys are on the decline. The fact that he is doing this now in his career makes it more remarkable.

If Drew goes in, it will be as a Saint, because that is where he had his most success. Same with Laroi Glover who is on record saying his fondest memories are as a Saint, though we weren't his first team or his last. Sharper I believe won a SB with the Packers and made probowls both in GB and Minn, but if he has his best few years here and wins a SB or two, especially at his age, I'd imagine that makes New Orleans a more special place for him.

Well, since we're speaking hypothetically here, if Sharper won two superbowls with the Saints, and had his 3 best seasons statistically with the Saints, due to the defensive philosophy and leeway the coaches gave him, why wouldn't he want to go in as a Saint. After all, it would be a crowning achievement to a stellar career, made possible at a time where no other team really wanted him, at a time where most guys are on the decline. The fact that he is doing this now in his career makes it more remarkable.

If Drew goes in, it will be as a Saint, because that is where he had his most success. Same with Laroi Glover who is on record saying his fondest memories are as a Saint, though we weren't his first team or his last. Sharper I believe won a SB with the Packers and made probowls both in GB and Minn, but if he has his best few years here and wins a SB or two, especially at his age, I'd imagine that makes New Orleans a more special place for him.

I don't think Sharper won a superbowl yet. Isn't that one of the reasons he came to the Saints? He thought we had the best chance to make it and really wanted to do that before his career ended.

I wouldn't have a problem with Sharper going into the HOF as a Packer......

...........why wouldn't he want to go in as a Saint. ..............

If Drew goes in, it will be as a Saint.........

Please repeat after me. Players enter the NFL Hall of Fame as individuals and not as a member of a particular team.

Unlike Major League Baseball, NFL Hall of Fame entrants do not have to pick a cap with a team logo on it for their bust.

Sharper was already high on the all time list. If he continues the way he's playing right now, then the Saints get credit for resurrecting what could be a hall of fame career. He's getting to where he's knocking on that door after looking like he'd finally washed out with the Vikes.

Now he's racing with cornerbacks after practice and is among our highest scorers (D and O) with 14 points on the year.

I love the guy and I hope he keeps this up. No reason why he couldn't.

They go in as individuals so it will be up to us to show up to Canton wearing their Saints jersey just to make sure that no other team tries to claim them.

Dick Lane holds the record over a 12 game season btw... It would be like a player intercepting 20 over a 16 game period.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom