The Media Conspiracy Against Brees (1 Viewer)

KingNene

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Okay I know conspiracy is a strong word and I don't actually think it is a "conspiracy" in the traditional sense.

But is seems like almost everyone in the media continues to disrespect Drew Brees. Maurice Jones-Drew said Eli Manning and Big Ben were better. Max Kellerman said Brett Favre is better.

There were a few that at least put some respect on his name like Stephen A. Smith and I believe Nick Wright did, but this is getting unacceptable.

Now I personally do believe Brees is the Greatest of All Time, but I would understand why someone would disagree. I don't understand how anyone can rank him outside of the top 5. That is ludicrous.

It seems like the media has been telling themselves for so long that Brees wasn't top 5 that now they have to exaggerate how "not great" he is to show they weren't wrong from the very beginning.

I guarantee you if he played for Dallas, San Francisco or any other major market team he would be considered the greatest of all time.

And of course so many people just believe whatever the media tells them so they go along with the narrative as well.

And almost every one one of their arguments can be countered so easily:

He's a stat patter:
No, he needed everyone single one of those yards, trust me.

He's never won an MVP:
He deserved both in '09 and '11 but because the media does not like him, he did not receive the honor.

He has only one Super Bowl:
That has very little to do with him and everything to do with the defense. I mean think about it. Beast Quake, Vernon Davis and the Minneapolis Miracle have nothing to do with Drew Brees. Super Bowls are about a team, not an individual.

He has missed the playoffs many times:
Brees played with some of the worst defenses of all time and still dragged this team to 7 wins.

He plays in a dome/He has Sean Payton as coach:
So? He's also 6'0'' and went to a bottom tier Big 10 school. Tom Brady has played his entire career with the greatest coach of all time and almost always had an amazing defense. Aaron Rodgers got to take over and learn from an all time great and has had some great defenses. Peyton Manning had one of the best wide receiver duos of all time, played in a dome for years and had great defenses. Every player has advantages and disadvantages.

Why do you all think the media treats him like this?

I agree. To me as I’ve pointed out before it seems as if most of the media would rather talk about hemorrhoids than Drew as a potential goat. Like it literally makes them uncomfortable.
And as I’ve also pointed out on here, it isn’t just the media. When I polled all my non Saints fan friends most of them had Drew top 20. Only one had him possibly top 5.

For whatever reason it is what it is and isn’t going to change. Let’s just be appreciative that he’s been our QB.
We know how great he is.

Here’s the thing about him playing in a Dome, the defenses he plays against also play in the same Done when they play him. So they have the same advantage he has.

Loved listening to Ryan Clark talk about how Drew wasn't as good because he wasn't as tall and didn't have as strong an arm.

IMHO, that makes him better for his accomplishment. I think this is just big vs small market bias.

perhaps 'prejudice' is a better word than 'conspiracy'

he challenges punditries' assumptions about what a quarterback is (doesn't fit the mold)
and then they go looking for data to backup their prejudice - and since the only thing you can knock him on is he had some bad defenses around him, that's what they use

but of course, because Drew DOESN'T fit the mold is why he should be heralded even more
also, for whatever reason, Drew is just not seen as the freak athlete that he really is

I also get annoyed by the whole "rules have changed for the QB's" argument. I never hear them bring that up when they talk about Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Favre, etc. Those guys are "greats" but when Brees smashes yet another All Time record every couple of years it's nothing but excuses as to why it isn't that impressive.

Drew just isn't "Edgy" enough to be considered cool/popular. The media loves the tall, rugged, square-jawed, maverick type who realistically couldn't even compare to his own legend. They can't have some short, humble, hard working, family oriented, guy without obvious character flaws, that regular people can relate to running around being the best QB ever, all willy-nilly.

Even a lot fans hate his wholesomeness. I've read comments saying that it was "over the top" when he hugged his kids and told them anything is possible. SMH

Here’s the thing about him playing in a Dome, the defenses he plays against also play in the same Done when they play him. So they have the same advantage he has.
Now I'm all for finding reasons to counter the haters but I'm not sure I could say opposing defenses have any type of advantage in the dome without laughing. ?

Drew just isn't "Edgy" enough to be considered cool/popular. The media loves the tall, rugged, square-jawed, large foreheaded maverick type who realistically couldn't even compare to his own legend. They can't have some short, humble, hard working, family oriented, guy without obvious character flaws, that regular people can relate to running around being the best QB ever, all willy-nilly.
FIFY

Brees has done more with less than any qb in the history of the game. Most underrated player to ever lace them up period.

Drew just isn't "Edgy" enough to be considered cool/popular. The media loves the tall, rugged, square-jawed, maverick type who realistically couldn't even compare to his own legend.
do either Brady or Manning (or Joe Montana or Marino) fit that description? except for tall?

I also get annoyed by the whole "rules have changed for the QB's" argument. I never hear them bring that up when they talk about Rodgers, Manning, Brady, Favre, etc. Those guys are "greats" but when Brees smashes yet another All Time record every couple of years it's nothing but excuses as to why it isn't that impressive.

Same thing applies for all the Marino lovers. Would Marino have beaten Fouts's records if the rules had not changed to favor the receiver? Who knows, but the fact of the matter is that rules are changing constantly and as someone else said, all the other quarterbacks play under those same new rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom