The Media just can't Quit Aaron Rodgers (1 Viewer)

Big Ben you can make a case for. That guy when healthy is a great QB.

Big Ben went for 0 TDs and 2 INTs in his first SB win. That was also the one SB that many people argue had biased officiating because there were numerous bad calls in that game that benefited Pittsburgh.

Eli Manning has never won a playoff game outside of 2007 and 2011. The idea of him being a winner in NY is largely a myth, as he's bound to retire this year with more losses than wins.

People just look at their resume, count the rings and call them "winners".

More examples of why the ring argument needs to die.

Last edited:
Anyone still arguing this guy is the GOAT or best quarterback in the league needs a reminder of this....

rodgers.jpg

He could've took the checkdown, get the first down, possibly a TD given all that space there, but no. That would hurt his stats.

GB has 2 major problems right now - the head coach and quarterback. Rodgers deserves full criticism after the other night.

Greg Cossell figured this out years ago that his mechanics are off and he plays to protect his stats, everyone thought he was crazy when he said it, but he was right. Rodgers would rather take a sack, than try for a checkdown or to squeeze the ball in a tight window risking an INT. Sacks don't hurt his passing stats like an INT or checkdown would.

This is why people do not like Rodgers. Add in the fact that he's a poor team leader who routinely blames his team mates when things aren't going well. His arrogance cannot be overlooked. He literally is, the Kobe Bryant of the NFL. His fans evne come up with the same ludicrous arguments that Kobe fans do about "killer instinct". Like Kobe, once you get past the 5 rings talk and his big point numbers, he's not all that impressive with anything else. For Rodgers, get past his TD/INT ratio and you see he's just your regular above average quarterback.

At this point, I'd rather have Matt Ryan as my QB than Rodgers. Matt Ryan has twice as many comebacks and game winning drives as Rodgers.

There definitely is too much of a 'all or nothing' style to Rodgers game. It's why he ends up being sacked as much as he has throughout his career. Rarely see the safety valve pass from him when his first couple of progressions are not open.

To have his net yards per pass attempt (after accounting for sacks) being 1 yard lower (7.86 vs 6.87) than his yards per attempt is simply too big a disparity in those numbers. As a comparison, Brees' numbers are 7.61 vs 7.04. They are drive enders. You saw that play out last night. Same thing happens with Brees. More times than not we can't overcome the negative sack play. Fortunately Brees and this offense line avoids sacks at an elite level (Brees is 3rd best all time behind only Manning and Marino for lowest sack percentage for QBs with at least 100 starts).

It's nice you don't throw interceptions Mr. Rodgers. But at what cost to your offense, especially in crunch time like last night potentially costing your team a chance to win the game.

I think the main difference is that Brees and also Brady and you can even throw Manning into this category; they go through their reads and are far smarter with ball placement. Rodgers absolutely is not. The talent is there, but he lacks the the smarts and would rather play to protect his stats. You could even compare this to Favre, whom still cranked out those productive seasons in 2007 and 2009 where he could still move down the field and put points on the board.

The other night, Rodgers didn't want to throw anywhere but to Adams in the second half. The other receivers basically were there to play decoy, as he forced balls to Adams down the stretch (and then complained about him not getting open after the game).

Gregg Jennings said it best that Rodgers would rather look for busted coverage down field for a big play, rather than picking apart a defense with a methodical drive. There has been many former Packers come out in recent years and talk about him having mechanical flaws in his game and being a poor leader. Donald Driver and Gregg Jennings flat out said they preferred Favre over him.

There is evidence that Green Bay's offense has had a major problem now going back to at least 2015. They rank in the bottom 5 on first downs with moving down the field. If you exclude their "Run the table" streak from 2016 where they mostly beat up cupcake teams, their win/loss ratio has been poor since losing the 2014 NFC title game.

I've noticed Packers fans who are willing to admit that Rodgers is the problem and they analyze him in many ways, but one thing that really hit the nail on the head; he lets the pocket collapse instead of making a quick read and getting rid of the ball, stands around and takes the sack or moves out the pocket waiting for busted coverage down field to make a drill bomb. We saw this in the Dallas/GB playoff game at the end (no one ever brings up that GB blew a huge lead in that game).

I agree with you all.
It’s Green Bay and I think the media is infatuated when Rodgers rolls out of the pocket while being chased and at the last second, delivers a 40-yard strike on a rope for a touchdown or huge gain. I’ll even admit that it’s very impressive to watch that happen but I don’t think that makes you an elite QB. Rodgers has the famous girlfriends, he’s a Cali kid, etc etc. The media is in love with the dude and it won’t stop and I really don’t care. I also have nothing against him as I enjoy watching him play, just like Ryan, Rivers, and others. I like to watch the good players do their thing because I’m a football fan.

Meanwhile, in New Orleans, there is a guy who has beat some serious odds and possesses a work ethic that is extremely rare. A family man with beautiful kids and a gorgeous, loving wife. A consummate professional, media- friendly, strong leader, loved and respected by not only his own teammates, but players from around the league. And at the ripe age of 39, this dude is making the position that he plays look like Tecmo Bowl out there. I am so very glad that he is our QB.

That’s my quarterback ?

His inability to lead 4th quarter comebacks is uncanny.

When Ty Montgomery fumbled the kickoff return and cost the Packers the game against the Rams the reaction in the media was all the same: How could you take the ball out of Aaron Rodgers hands like that, you just know that Rodgers was going to come through in the clutch! But the fact of the matter is Rodgers hasn't proven himself to be particularly prolific at 4th quarter comebacks and gaming winning drivers throughout his career.

In his career Rodgers has had 13 4th quarter comebacks and 19 game winning drives. To compare those numbers to other quarterbacks, here are the 4QC and GWD numbers for other quarterbacks since 2008 (the year Rodgers became a starter):

Drew Brees 25 and 33.
Matt Ryan 26 and 35.
Tom Brady 18 and 22 (and that includes the fact that he missed all but one quarter of the 2008 season).
Ben Roethlisberger 21 and 28.
Philip Rivers 19 and 23.
Joe Flacco 18 and 24.
Eli Manning 20 and 26.
Mathew Stafford 26 and 32 (and has played one less season than Rodger).
Alex Smith14 and 16 (and he missed all of the 2008 season and chunks of others due to injuries and getting benched).
Cam Newton 15 and 17 (and he didn't even come into the league until 2011).
Andy Dalton 20 and 24 (and also didn't come into the league until 2011).
Russel Wilson 15 and 20 (and didn't come into the league until 2012).
Andrew Luck 14 and 18 (also didn't come into the league until 2012).

Heck, Peyton fricking Manning has had 20 4th quarter comebacks and 24 game winning drives since 2008 and he's been retired for 3 years and missed all of the 2011 season.
Tony Romo has had 20 and 24 and he basically hasn't played full-time since early in the 2015 season.
Even guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick (9 and 13 for his career) and Kirk Cousins (9 and 12) are in Mr. Rodger's neighborhood and they've started a lot fewer games than Rodgers has.

This narrative that Rodgers is some unstoppable 4th quarter comeback machine really isn't supported by the facts when you consider that literally every other full-time starting, franchise quarterback of his era appears to be markedly better at them than he is.

But at the end of the day, he gives talking heads and naive fans what they want: nice long bombs that look soooo pretty. They may come through only once or twice a game, but man those things are so cool and they make him sooo sexeh! Goat!!!

Honestly, he eats the cheese. Or maybe he IS the cheese. Does that make him GOAT cheese?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom