The Mike (1 Viewer)

tophergillock

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I have seen the importance of the QB pointing out to his Oline who the Mike LB is on a particular play. My question is...Is this only in a 4-3 defense or both a 4-3 and 3-4. I believe he does this to help his Oline recognize who is blitzing and who is in coverage.

I believe with the versatility of most of our LB's it could be much harder for the opposing offense to figure out which LB is the Mike, who is blitzing, and who is going to drop back in coverage. Ironically it is not because of the talent of our LB group, but the fact that most of these guys can play all of the LB positions that could make them dangerous.

The more I watch Ogletree the more I think he will be the pick because of this. HE can play inside and outside really well. He is not the best blitzing LB in the draft, nor is he the best inside LB in the draft, but he is damn good at both.

But does he possess the instincts to put his fellow defenders in the correct position, to possibly sniff out the play? Sure, he may be versatile, but is he game situation intelligent? Meaning, can he QB a defense? Vilma is pretty good at that.

He played a lot of ILB in college, but I am not sure if he was the guy making all the calls. I am not sure if any of the top rated LB's in this years draft have the smarts of Vilma. Guys with his knack for calling the right plays and changing them when needed don't come around to often.

But does he possess the instincts to put his fellow defenders in the correct position, to possibly sniff out the play? Sure, he may be versatile, but is he game situation intelligent? Meaning, can he QB a defense? Vilma is pretty good at that.

SP seemed to go out of his way to say this about Vilma - indicating that Vilma at 70% speed is better than most others b/c he helps everyone else
fwiw

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom