The Mosquitoes are coming, the mosquitoes are coming. (1 Viewer)

Has anyone tried this one? Not sure if it's plant safe-

Known as the Paul Harvey spray

1 bottle of blue mint mouthwash (you can buy any big bottle of mouthwash you like, no matter how cheap it is. For example, “Equate Blue Mint Mouthrinse”)
3 bottles (per 12 oz) of stale beer (take the cheapest – it works as well)
3 cups of Epsom salt

I haven't been bitten by a skitter in the four years I've been living in Colorado.

You might think there'd be some terrible price to pay for wiping skeeters off the planet. But there isn't.

One of the rare instances where making a species go extinct is a net benefit.

these are the 2020 mosquitoes. I think we should just cut out half measure and jump to this step.

It just so happens that the 2020 mosquitoes are ready for their debut... what could go wrong?

You might think there'd be some terrible price to pay for wiping skeeters off the planet. But there isn't.

Oof. Except for all the ones the author and her sources try to shrug off, per their own biases. Or others which are unknown or poorly understood. Personally, I’d prefer to leave mosquitoes alone.

As for sitting outside, my preferred methods would be in this order:

Build a lanai.

Use a strong fan.

Wear long sleeves and pants.

Stay inside.

Sitting outside on a warm night in short clothing with no lanai or fan seems like a square-peg-round-hole situation to me.

I haven't been bitten by a skitter in the four years I've been living in Colorado.
Have you had any issues with the miller moths this year? The last week or so they've seemed very prevalent and a bunch were getting in the house. A moth or two getting in the house is usually just an annoyance, but I've killed at least 25 (seriously) over the last couple of days (fortunately I think that got them all). And then I pulled up this article from a month ago. They weren't lying...

Have you had any issues with the miller moths this year? The last week or so they've seemed very prevalent and a bunch were getting in the house. A moth or two getting in the house is usually just an annoyance, but I've killed at least 25 (seriously) over the last couple of days (fortunately I think that got them all). And then I pulled up this article from a month ago. They weren't lying...

We've had no issues here. I didn't notice anything at our property near Breckenridge either. This time of the year, we usually have A LOT of horseflies but even those have been down in number this summer. I haven't felt the need to set out any traps.

My property in near Breck DOES have mosquitoes (even at 11500 ft). That's mostly because there is a lot of standing water from the snow melt. I'm going to do a little landscaping next month to force the sitting water to drain down the mountain so I don't have this problem next summer. I'm hoping to build a cabin up there next year and I don't want skeeters ruining my weekend fun.

Another reason why I love Colorado. That's really hard to believe. Do you go hiking/biking in the wooded areas? Cut the grass? Spend time in parks at all?

Just play Beatles songs. Those "songs" will repel most all living creatures.

I'm tempted to try this theory out....

"Both adult and larval species of aquatic beetles will consume mosquito larvae and pupae. Two beetles that readily eat the aquatic stages of mosquitoes are the predaceous diving beetle and the water scavenger beetles. However, they will consume many types of aquatic insects other than mosquitoes".

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom