The most amazing sports moment I have ever seen was in 1970 and it was at a Saints game (1 Viewer)

• Admin
1563380114610.png

By Rick Cleveland | Special to the Sun Herald

Readers often ask: In all the years of writing sports what is the most amazing single athletic feat you have seen?

Good question. I have seen some stuff.

I saw Ray Guy’s 93-yard punt that rolled through the opposite end zone and into a chainlink fence, more than 115 yards from where he had kicked it. I saw Walter Payton break about 10 tackles on one run. I saw Brett Favre throw a 40-yard bullet his receiver said he heard coming. I saw Jerry Rice run a crossing pattern and reach back behind him with one hand and snatch the ball, in stride, no more than a foot off the ground. He kept going. I don’t know how. I saw Pete Maravich score 69 points in a basketball game (and if there had been a 3-point line, it might have been 80).

I saw all that and a lot more. But: The most amazing?

Let’s go back to Nov. 8, 1970. I was a just-turned-18-year-old sports writer, working full-time and going to college freshman classes when I could. Earlier that fall, I had watched 50-point underdog Southern Miss, where I went to school, shock undefeated and No. 4 Ole Miss 30-14 at Oxford. So I thought I had seen my one miracle for that 1970. Little did I know . . .

Full Story - The Sun Herald

Dan

Dan

Admin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom