The Nascar Thread (12 Viewers)

The wiper blade action on these cars reminds me of my old Ford Granada from the ‘70s. Every time they came across my windshield, I was never 100% sure they were going to make the round trip.

Cindric’s car just went away in that run, it was weird.

Seems like it’s not quite as hazardous as the moment after they stopped to clean windshields.

This is the first real Cup racing of any real length we’ve had in the rain. It’s cool.

Last edited:
Woah, Kurt almost knocked Kyle out. Threaded a needle there.

But...why caution there? Not sure I agree with that.

I saw some kind of ride at I guess the 6 flags park. No Chance in HELL! you would get on that thing.

Race is called for Rain. Chase wins. He is my favorite driver so happy he gets the win but this race shouldn't have started when it did.

Time for all the fans to go get in their cars and tear off down the highway at 85 mph on their way home.

Race is called for Rain. Chase wins. He is my favorite driver so happy he gets the win but this race shouldn't have started when it did.
Sure, but it shouldn't have finished when it did either. Chase didn't have enough fuel to finish and would have had to pit if it stayed green to the end.

Sure, but it shouldn't have finished when it did either. Chase didn't have enough fuel to finish and would have had to pit if it stayed green to the end.
Nascar put themselves in that position. Once the race is past half way over it is considered official if conditions call for a halt. The rain got even worse than earlier in the race and the radar showed it wasn't going to let up so they had no choice put to call it.

Nascar put themselves in that position. Once the race is past half way over it is considered official if conditions call for a halt. The rain got even worse than earlier in the race and the radar showed it wasn't going to let up so they had no choice put to call it.

It’s always discretionary to call the race. The rule just says the race isn’t official unless at least half the laps have been run. But they can go red after halfway and still go back to green if they want to.

But that mass of rain was big and they can’t run at night at COTA - there’s lights but they’re not sufficient for a Cup race, it’s more GT/IMSA style endurance race lighting (those cars have headlights, Cup cars do not). So you’ve got an official distance and it’s going to be a while before conditions improve - so calling the race then made sense.

That’s also why starting later wasn’t really an option - the rain was going to be around either way and they aren’t going to run that track at night.

It’s always discretionary to call the race. The rule just says the race isn’t official unless at least half the laps have been run. But they can go red after halfway and still go back to green if they want to.

But that mass of rain was big and they can’t run at night at COTA - there’s lights but they’re not sufficient for a Cup race, it’s more GT/IMSA style endurance race lighting (those cars have headlights, Cup cars do not). So you’ve got an official distance and it’s going to be a while before conditions improve - so calling the race then made sense.

That’s also why starting later wasn’t really an option - the rain was going to be around either way and they aren’t going to run that track at night.

I wonder if with such a large squall if they could have just pushed it back to Monday? I think with so few races with the rain in the past, they're probably going to look back at this race and maybe make some changes to how they do it. The rain isn't really the problem, but the standing water that causes the cars to hydoplane. The race was pretty fun to watch tho.

I wonder if with such a large squall if they could have just pushed it back to Monday? I think with so few races with the rain in the past, they're probably going to look back at this race and maybe make some changes to how they do it. The rain isn't really the problem, but the standing water that causes the cars to hydoplane. The race was pretty fun to watch tho.

You mean push back the whole race from the start? I think there’s a tropical low that is spinning all this stuff up into Texas. I don’t think the forecast is much better tomorrow. They have a rain package - they got the race in. Yeah it was hairy a couple of times. I think this ‘racing in the rain’ is a work in progress for Nascar. That xfinity race last year at Charlotte was ridiculous.

I think they need to look at what tracks would be a good mix with rain. This one had a pretty long stretch where the speeds get too high and makes it hard to keep the spray down.

Maybe some sort of deflector behind the rear tires or on the bumper that can push the spray down. That might mess with the aerodynamics though, so idk.

I watched a sheet ton of racing this weekend - a lot of it live, some on DVR. Trucks, xfinity, F1 Monaco, and Cup/COTA.

Had my eyes on just about every lap of four races. Maybe skipped through 15 laps out of all four? Lawdy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom