The Nascar Thread (2 Viewers)

Who cares whether it's a sport or not? I enjoy watching it regardless.

And this no news updates on Newman is bothering me. Ugh. Can't imagine what his family is going through. Just hope he survived that. The crash looked pretty bad.
Yeah, I left the house just about when the third crash was happening and didn't realize any of this. This is just too reminiscent of Earnhardt. Apparently they cleared all the media out of the pits. It may not be "the worst"; but with the lack of updates, I feel it's going to be pretty dire and not just all "precaution".

If you think NASCAR driving doesn't take physical skill. I have a bridge for sale
The ‘competition’ is not between the athletes it’s between the mechanics
does it take physical skill to move a chess piece

your and miriam’s definition is way too broad - a staring contest could be a sport under that definition

poker is another thing that’s not a sport

your and miriam’s definition is way too broad - a staring contest could be a sport under that definition

we'll agree to disagree. Good night sir

How can skateboarding, badminton, archery, curling and snowboarding be Olympic sports, and Nascar racing not be a sport????!!!!

Those guys have to be in great shape and incredible athletes to be driving 200 mph and not get killed every time they go out there.

How can skateboarding, badminton, archery, curling and snowboarding be Olympic sports, and Nascar racing not be a sport????!!!!

Those guys have to be in great shape and incredible athletes to be driving 200 mph and not get killed every time they go out there.

Not to mention some of them can lose 10 pounds in a single race and temps are often 110 degrees or more. You have to be pretty strong, have superior reflexes, hand eye coordination and stamina. But, if someone thinks it's not a sport, I'm not gonna try and change their mind. It's fun to watch either way.

That wreck was forking scary. Denny was about to cry in victory lane - it was eerily like the day we lost Dale. So relieved that Ryan is going to be okay. Sounds like he’s got some real injuries though.

I know Blaney feels terrible but he did exactly what he’s supposed to.

I don't have the answer but part of the reason I lost interest was how much they've changed the way they do the Cup points and keep tinkering with it (plus "my" driver" retired).

I just found out they no longer run restrictor plate racing.

I’ve pretty much been an enthusiastic fan since 1996 - and I think stage racing is one of the best adjustments they’ve made.

The engines at Daytona and Talladega are still on reduced power by reducing air - they just do it with a tapered spacer now instead of a restrictor plate.

The question is not whether or not the driver is athletic- of course they are - they question is ‘are they the primary competitors?’ And they are not - the cars are the competitors
In the examples you listed, the human is the sole source of the action
In car racing - steering, braking, accelerating, are all mechanical- the dtivers manage the power/action, they do not create it

The question is not whether or not the driver is athletic- of course they are - they question is ‘are they the primary competitors?’ And they are not - the cars are the competitors
In the examples you listed, the human is the sole source of the action
In car racing - steering, braking, accelerating, are all mechanical- the dtivers manage the power/action, they do not create it
The pit crew doesn't determine when to get in and out of the throttle, how to drive in and out of the corners, who to draft with, etc etc. Those cars aren't on a wire and they rarely handle perfect. Ona regular basis the fastest car on the track doesn't win....that's because someone drove better than whoever had the best car on the track.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom