The Nascar Thread (13 Viewers)

Not a sport, it’s a mechanical showcase
certainly closer to robot wars than athletic competition

we agree on most things, but not here. Automobile racing is definitely a sport. Strength, reflexes, endurance, and planning are all a must. Oh yeah, and you can die.

I drove 25 laps in a slightly de-tuned NASCAR vehicle and was beat to poop and I'm in good shape. Let me be clear, this was not a race, but a driving experience.

Years ago there was an ABC show that pitted athletes from all different sports against one another in a decathlon of sorts. The race car drivers more than held their own.

The question is not whether or not the driver is athletic- of course they are - they question is ‘are they the primary competitors?’ And they are not - the cars are the competitors
In the examples you listed, the human is the sole source of the action
In car racing - steering, braking, accelerating, are all mechanical- the dtivers manage the power/action, they do not create it
But the cars are all very similar, it's the driver who makes the difference.

Indeed, the cars are similar enough that what sets each team apart are the drivers' skills, strategy and pit crew. Having a great running car does help too, but that also takes skill by the driver in knowing how the car is reacting to the road. The strategy of 2 tires vs 4 with 31 laps to go was discussed here. And the answer may not always be obvious.

The race yesterday was awesome. I loved how the sparks started to become more visible after the sun set. What a great event! Congrats to Hamlin on his 3rd Daytona win.

we agree on most things, but not here. Automobile racing is definitely a sport. Strength, reflexes, endurance, and planning are all a must. Oh yeah, and you can die.

I drove 25 laps in a slightly de-tuned NASCAR vehicle and was beat to poop and I'm in good shape. Let me be clear, this was not a race, but a driving experience.

Years ago there was an ABC show that pitted athletes from all different sports against one another in a decathlon of sorts. The race car drivers more than held their own.
Y’all keep trying to make it about the driver - understandably. Y’all find them impressive
But again the athleticism of the driver is not the question
I wrestled in HS and danced professionally for 20 yeas - some of the dance I did was every bit as grueling/athletic as wrestling
Wrestling is a sport, dance is not

But here, let’s see if hyperbole works (I know it won’t, I’m just here for the action- EE’s been a bit slow last few weeks) put the top driver in a Prius and let me know how much the driver’s athleticism will effect the outcome

Y’all keep trying to make it about the driver - understandably. Y’all find them impressive
I wrestled in HS and danced professionally for 20 yeas - some of the dance I did was every bit as grueling/athletic as wrestling

But here, let’s see if hyperbole works (I know it won’t, I’m just here for the action- EE’s been a bit slow last few weeks) put the top driver in a Prius and let me know how much the driver’s athleticism will effect the outcome

Hyperbole indeed. :hihi: Apples and oranges.

The cars are more alike than different. And in the "sport" the cars are subject to a lot of rules and regulations to prevent them too much of an advantage for any given competitor. As I stated above, it's usually the driver and pit crew that sets teams apart. Not the cars.

But, if you still think it's not a sport, that's one man's opinion, which by the way, I have a great deal of respect for. But I tend to agree with the notion it's a sport. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. :hihi:

I have a Prius, and it’s nothing like my 1982 S-10 with a 383 Stroker. Your analogy would be similar to making Drew Brees throw a nerf ball instead of a football.

The driver and the pit crew. Pit stops used to take up to 30 seconds back when Richard Petty was dominating. The goal today
is less than 13 seconds for a 4 tire change and fuel.

Ray Everingham was Jeff Gordons crew chief. He was the first to start hiring former college athletes to be part of the pit crew.
It's now a common practice.

I tuned out after I saw the pre-made/pre-planned (?) Nascar Overtime graphics. Who won? Glad Logano was taken out there at the end as payback for starting the big crash.

I tuned out after I saw the pre-made/pre-planned (?) Nascar Overtime graphics. Who won? Glad Logano was taken out there at the end as payback for starting the big crash.

Denny and Blaney were side by side coming to the line, Denny had more momentum (because Blaney had made contact with Newman) and nosed him out.

Meanwhile Newman ended up on his roof on fire. He’s at the hospital in serious condition (but non life threatening).

By that logic is building a dam or other dangerous manual labor jobs also sports?
Alaskan crab fishing is for sure.

Denny and Blaney were side by side coming to the line, Denny had more momentum (because Blaney had made contact with Newman) and nosed him out.

Meanwhile Newman ended up on his roof on fire. He’s at the hospital in serious condition (but non life threatening).
Got it. Yeah, I had reached my 2 beer limit and hanging around any longer for Nascar OT would have surely resulted in #3. Hope Newman is ok. For those who like tradin' paint - it was a great race.

The driver and the pit crew. Pit stops used to take up to 30 seconds back when Richard Petty was dominating. The goal today
is less than 13 seconds for a 4 tire change and fuel.

Ray Everingham was Jeff Gordons crew chief. He was the first to start hiring former college athletes to be part of the pit crew.
It's now a common practice.

Is your argument that the tine is shorter primarily bc better athletes or bc the tools/mechanisms are better?
Narrator: it’s the tools

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom