The Nascar Thread (7 Viewers)

Is your argument that the tine is shorter primarily bc better athletes or bc the tools/mechanisms are better?
Narrator: it’s the tools

It's not the tools actually. The jacks and lug air guns have been improved over the years but the main reason why pit times have been so reduced is the teams went to full-time professional race pit crews that are their own unit within the race team. They train and use analytics and have found efficiencies over the years that have reduced pit times to where they are now - which have pretty much reached the physical limit. It's diminishing returns - but it takes a fixed amount of time to get fuel in the car, so there is a floor on how quickly they can pit the car.

Last edited:
By that logic is building a dam or other dangerous manual labor jobs also sports?
Alaskan crab fishing is for sure.
Well if it gets a sanctioning body and competitive events....

Maybe we could ship Goodell off to be the Director of the ACFSA (Alaskan Crab Fishing Sportsman’s Association) :hihi:

Last edited:
How about this one
Competition between two people hammering nails with a claw hammer ✔️sport
Competition between two people using a nail gun ? sport
Look at the lumberjack competition. A person walking in the woods and chopping down a tree is one thing. That same person operating under the auspices of a sanctioning body in a competitive event is a sport.

Along different lines, there are the sports added to the olympics over the years, and those removed like wrestling. Didn’t they reinstate wrestling due to the outcry?

Golf is not a sport IMHO unless you walk the course.

They have a season, rules by which they have to fish, and measurable results in the weight of their catch through the season.
The only thing lacking is the trophy right? They even get paid more the better they do.

They are also issued a quota. Once they reach it, their season is over. The quota system was put in place for safety reasons. The old
system was a 3 day derby where you caught as much as you could as fast as you could. That caused some captains to risk boats
that needed repairs. It's more profitable to fill your quota as fast as you can. That saves expenses on fuel,bait,crew food etc. The
quota system allows a boat time to make sure the vessel is seaworthy and it also saves lives.

They are also issued a quota. Once they reach it, their season is over. The quota system was put in place for safety reasons. The old
system was a 3 day derby where you caught as much as you could as fast as you could. That caused some captains to risk boats
that needed repairs. It's more profitable to fill your quota as fast as you can. That saves expenses on fuel,bait,crew food etc. The
quota system allows a boat time to make sure the vessel is seaworthy and it also saves lives.

A quota, like the number of laps a car would drive around an oval track. And the faster you reach your quota...

Got it. Yeah, I had reached my 2 beer limit and hanging around any longer for Nascar OT would have surely resulted in #3. Hope Newman is ok. For those who like tradin' paint - it was a great race.

I thought it was good, maybe 8/10. I'm a Blaney fan, I think he had the strongest run coming out of 4, but Newman had to block (and hope Blaney could knock him out in front of Denny).

I have watched the replay about 20 times and I'm still not sure if Joey deserves so much blame for the big one.

Seems those that claim nascar isn't a sport don't have much experience driving cross country and the toll that takes on your body... just driving normal for 8 hours is taxing on the body. I couldn't imagine how i'd feel after driving nearly 200 mph for 3 to 5 hours.

As for Daytona, I turned it off after Logano took out his own teammate. My driver. Never liked Logano.. and yea he's to blame.

Seems those that claim nascar isn't a sport don't have much experience driving cross country and the toll that takes on your body... just driving normal for 8 hours is taxing on the body. I couldn't imagine how i'd feel after driving nearly 200 mph for 3 to 5 hours.

As for Daytona, I turned it off after Logano took out his own teammate. My driver. Never liked Logano.. and yea he's to blame.
I wonder if Logano needed tires? Doubtful but something new I learned yesterday that once a team goes out, other teams bid/beg for their tires. It seems someone who needs tires need only to take out his teammate who may have tires available. Presto, new tires available. Of course, the guy telling me this could have been blowing smoke. ETA - in hindsight this really makes no sense where it occurred in the race.

Last edited:
I wonder if Logano needed tires? Doubtful but something new I learned yesterday that once a team goes out, other teams bid/beg for their tires. It seems someone who needs tires need only to take out his teammate who may have tires available. Presto, new tires available. Of course, the guy telling me this could have been blowing smoke. ETA - in hindsight this really makes no sense where it occurred in the race.

It makes no sense for a few reasons. The 22 hadn't gone through their tire allotment (not even close). More importantly, causing a wreck at the front of the field in the Daytona 500 to try to get your teammate's tires is . . . well, apologies to whoever was telling you that, but it's idiotic.

Joey had a strong run coming off of turn two into the backstretch. With that momentum, he hits the 10 square. That's bump drafting, and a square hit in the backstretch shouldn't be a problem. He continued to push the 10 and the momentum now has them both closing on the 2 at a high rate. Joey keeps pushing, but it still looks like he's hitting the 10 pretty square. Then as they come up on the 2, Almirola veers slightly toward the wall, and that causes him to hit the 2 with a bit of sideways force that turns Brad into the wall and the wreck is on.

Joey's push was aggressive but down the backstretch, that usually isn't a wreck. I don't know why the 10 got so squirrely there right before the wreck, I'm sure Joey's continued pushing unsettled the car but it didn't look unusual to me - or something clearly "at fault". But Joey was just trying to get his line to the lead, he certainly wasn't trying to wreck anybody.

The ‘competition’ is not between the athletes it’s between the mechanics

To that point, you're half right. That's why its considered a 'team' sport. The engineer develops the setup with the driver. The mechanics/pitcrew and engineer change the car based on the driver's feedback. No one entity can win on their own. Does one influence the result more than the others? Depends on your point of view which one it is (if any).

If you said the competition is not as weighted towards the athlete as it used to be, I would agree with you.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom