The Nascar Thread (5 Viewers)

I had Jimmie in my pick’em. These days my drivers are 88 and 12. I’m pleased with it, good race all three.

I’m gonna take 88 on Wednesday.

True, but still. Did they say exactly what he was penalized for? Weight? Engine? Curious.

It was a rear toe issue. (Nascar mandates the geometry of the wheel mountings, they have to be plumb (in-line). One high-banked ovals, manipulating wheel angles (skew) can help the car turn.

It's possible to get skew from hitting something but Nascar has been in a zero-tolerance posture for a while now, it's just easier to manage. It is true that some post-race failures are not the product of anyone's intent, but the penalty has to be the same (or else Nascar is in the business of investigating and determining intent - which is next to impossible). At the same time, if both rear wheels are skew, that's clearly intentional. I don't know th full details of what they found on the 48.

same here, and I have no clue why it would help performance.

It's aero. If the car can be askew but still going straight, it can create more aero downforce - help the car turn and be faster in and off the turn.

That's an odd one. Can't remember ever seeing that one before.

The tolerances used to be much greater - you can go back and look at late 90s, early 2000s, and the rear wheels are all toed out. I'll try to find a good image.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom