The Nascar Thread (2 Viewers)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Speedweeks kicks off today in advance of next Sunday's Daytona 500 (2/17, 2:30PM EST FOX). The Clash is this Sunday, 3pm, and the duels are 7pm next Thursday, 2/14. Note also the Arca race will run this Saturday at 4pm on FS1.

What else for 2019:
- New rules package: Note that the Daytona 500 will run under the old package, but after that we will go to tapered spacers (including at Daytona and Talladega where they won't run plates anymore), bigger spoiler, bigger splitter, wider radiator pan, and "aero/brake ducts". It's all similar to the 2018 All-Star package and designed to reduce horsepower but improve stability and throttle response . . . with the hope of reducing the aero advantage that the leader has had at the intermediate and speedway tracks under the old package. https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2018/10/02/2019-rules-packages-announced-monster-energy-series/

- New post-race inspection procedure: Post-race inspection will happen immediately following the race and will include first and second place, and other randomly selected cars. If you fail post-race you are disqualified and scored as last in the race and stages. So if the winner fails, the second place is declared the winner for all intents and purposes . . . any stage points for DQ'd cars will go to the next car on the pylon. This will mean that the race winner will be confirmed by weekend's end, rather than having to wait on inspection and penalty procedures under the old rules (often not announced until Tuesday or Wednesday).

- Notable team/driver changes:
Martin Truex and Cole Pearn move over to JGR proper at the 19
Kurt Busch to the 1 at CGR; Jamie Mac running the Daytona 500 (in the 40) and then retiring to the Fox broadcast roster
Daniel Suarez moves over to the 41 at SHR
Ryan Newman runs the 6 full-time at Rousch
Daniel Hemric (rookie) will be in the 8 at Childress
Matt DiBenedetto will be in the 95
Kasey Kahne and AJ Allmendinger are not racing
Chad Knaus and Jimmie aren't together, Chad to the 24 (Byron) and Kevin Meendering comes over from the Xfinity 1 car (E. Sadler) to lead the 48 crew

Schedule:

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sunday doubleheader that I’ll have to watch on dvr

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That was a pretty fun race. The winner was definitely a surprise.

That was a fantastic run by Berry. Not only his first win, but his previous best finish was 7th. Gibbs is no fluke. 1st, 2nd and 4th in his first 3 races of his xfinity career. He's gonna be in the Cup before long.

Gragson had himself a nice race too. Finished a hard earned 2nd.

Lots of bumping and cut tires. Fun to watch for sure.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That was a pretty fun race. The winner was definitely a surprise.

That was a fantastic run by Berry. Not only his first win, but his previous best finish was 7th. Gibbs is no fluke. 1st, 2nd and 4th in his first 3 races of his xfinity career. He's gonna be in the Cup before long.

Gragson had himself a nice race too. Finished a hard earned 2nd.

Lots of bumping and cut tires. Fun to watch for sure.

Really glad for Josh, and for Dale and Kelly, it's really cool how they're using that 8 team to bring in other guys to complement the regular stable. He was trying to coax Jimmie Johnson into the 8 a few weeks ago.

Anyway, on to Cup!

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wow, they should rename it Truex Raceway. Hamlin led a ton of laps, but couldn't hold off Jr. That big wreck changed the race. And the penalty on Blaney was brutal. His crew left him down.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Meh. It was a weird race. Long - 15 cautions including that track blocker red flag. Three cautions were for one dude. A pair of fires. It was just a weird Martinsville race. The Blaney penalty sucked. Bubba led the damn race and was in the top 10 with 60 to go but ends up 16th. Martin does nothing for me.

meh

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meh. It was a weird race. Long - 15 cautions including that track blocker red flag. Three cautions were for one dude. A pair of fires. It was just a weird Martinsville race. The Blaney penalty sucked. Bubba led the damn race and was in the top 10 with 60 to go but ends up 16th. Martin does nothing for me.

meh

Yeah, Bubba can't catch a break. He was running good, then he went from 10th to 13th during a caution and was just meh the rest of the race. I don't get it. I want to say it's his crew, or the car, but at some point maybe it's him? I don't know.

The Blaney penalty was stupid. It was legit, but the crew manning that front left tire has got to have better awareness than that.

Krewe of Clyde's

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I was just happy to finally cash a Nascar bet this week. I have been betting a guy (expert?) from VegasInsider picks for the last three years. I do these bets mostly as a way to have some interest in a sporting event on Sundays without football. Betting $30 a week ($10 each on his top 3 drivers) , I have won between $200 and $300 each of the last three seasons. using this fellow's picks. So far in 2021, he was 0-7 in the first seven races. Truex didn't pay much but I was just glad to be able to go to the book and collect. something. Maybe it is the start of a streak.

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Talladega schedule. Note the heavy rain expected on Saturday. Sunday looks great.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty good Arca race going. Like 15 cars within a second of the leader. That's a huge lead group. Pretty crowded up front.

Question about restriction plates. Is that just for the Cup cars or do the other lower leagues run with the plates as well? It's strictly for reducing top speed, right?

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty good Arca race going. Like 15 cars within a second of the leader. That's a huge lead group. Pretty crowded up front.

Question about restriction plates. Is that just for the Cup cars or do the other lower leagues run with the plates as well? It's strictly for reducing top speed, right?

Yes, yes.

Technically they don’t use true restrictor plates anymore after switching to fuel injection and the use of tapered spacers. Same basic concept (deprives air to the engine). Yes the purpose is to limit top speed - but it also limits acceleration so it becomes all about momentum and aero, and that’s what modern superspeedway racing is all about.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom