The Nascar Thread (3 Viewers)

Just pulled the old race scanner and headsets out of a bin in the basement to head to Darlington. Gotta get her some new batteries and key in the current frequencies.

Cost about $90 in 1997, added a couple of aviation style headsets a couple years later, maybe $50 per. I think this will be my 13th race with the scanner (16 total) - pretty good investment.

The crowd looked amazing, saw some pics from under the grandstands while it was raining. Looked uncomfortable. Glad they got the race in.

Matt DiBenedetto going to Wood Bros 21 next year. Paul Menard retiring. Being a Wood Bros fan I'm happy to hear this news. Paul M. brought sponsorship but just never was competitive.

Matt DiBenedetto going to Wood Bros 21 next year. Paul Menard retiring. Being a Wood Bros fan I'm happy to hear this news. Paul M. brought sponsorship but just never was competitive.

Yeah that's pretty awesome - Matt D will show what that car is made of. I'm really happy for Matt that he got a good ride, it's basically a lateral move from a Toyota satellite team to a Ford satellite team . . . or even better given that WBR is basically a Penske subsidiary.

Blaney won in that car just two years ago.

• 1Like
Reactions: JLL
@superchuck500 I watched the roval race at Charlotte yesterday. That was one of the best races I've seen in a long time. I wish they would do more of that.

I'm a little more than halfway through it, I was watching and then had to take my daughter to an event in the afternoon. Tried to watch some more before the Saints game started but that didn't work out.

It's cool for sure. I think it's going to be a fixture on the schedule (and remain in the playoffs) for the foreseeable future. But room on the schedule is so tight. Many around the sport believe that Nascar should shorten the schedule by a good six weeks or more. And the way tracks operate, they make their money on just a few dates during the year and the rest is gravy. When you start pulling a second Cup race from a racetrack, it can be a huge blow.

I'm not sure if any of the other tracks will go to a roval format. Daytona has the capability and is probably the most likely location for it given that the second Daytona race is being moved from its traditional July 4 ("firecracker 400") fixture. If the second Daytona date becomes an afterthought and the CMS roval continues to bring strong ratings, that would be a good possibility.

Beyond that, it's hard to see where there's room. There's strong demand for roval and road course racing, but there's also a big push to add a short track in Nascar's more traditional market . . . with Nashville looking like the most likely contender. I'd say that if I had to bet on it, the most likely "new" race would either be adding Nashville (and pulling a race from Atlanta) or a Daytona roval.

Instead of having an annual thread I’m just gonna keep this one going for 2020.

Busch Clash starts at 3pm EST today. The 500 is next Sunday. New rules package. New Camaro. Jimmie’s last year. Will JGR be dominant again?

Green green green

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom