The Nascar Thread (2 Viewers)

Nice, it's something to watch. No fans is gonna be weird tho.

Yeah but less so for racing I think. It’s not like soccer or basketball where the fan presence is a big part of the feel of the game.

Yeah but less so for racing I think. It’s not like soccer or basketball where the fan presence is a big part of the feel of the game.

To me no fans will make it seem like a glorified qualifying. But hey at least it's something

True. I'm just used to seeing a bunch of folks at the infield track soaking it all in. I've never been to a NASCAR race, but I'm sure hanging out in the infield would be a ton of fun.

So we're going racing. Brad is on the pole by random draw. At Darlington. Nascar coming in with guns blazing. They aren't even going to have practice on the track. Just forking going racing. I got the 11 in my pick 'em.

Green flag 3:30 PM EDT

So we're going racing. Brad is on the pole by random draw. At Darlington. Nascar coming in with guns blazing. They aren't even going to have practice on the track. Just forking going racing. I got the 11 in my pick 'em.

Green flag 3:30 PM EDT

I plan to watch. I need to remind myself to set the DVR tomorrow.

No practice and no qualifying will make this race real interesting. It will come down to the pit crews and the initial set-up and adjustments they make during the early pit stops. Weather looks to not be a problem since the forecast is for sunny and 86

I definitely think that there's a challenge here for broadcasting (all sports) to try to do something to replace the crowd of fans. Fox will certainly try some stuff. We'll see.

I was at the last Darlington race last September - met my buddy from Mandeville who lives in Brevard NC, he brought his two boys for their first race. It was crazy because Hurricane Dorian was approaching and the SC was well in the cone. The SC governor had announced that the state of emergency would begin Monday morning (Labor Day) - the Southern 500 was Sunday evening (Labor Day weekend). Everyone was pretty much in the mindset of 'go the race and then wake up and deal with this hurricane.'

About 5 minutes before pre-race ceremonies were to start, a line of thunderstorms blew up in the summer heat. It was a pretty good sized cell - might have caused a postponed race in most circumstances. My buddy was like "dude, this is heavy, should we leave? Aren't they going to cancel it?"

It looked to me like from the radar, the cells would eventually move past and there was nothing else out there. And with a hurricane approaching, they had to get the race in that night no matter what. I told him, "I think they're going to do this thing - we just need to hang out." So we hung out. For hours.

Skies cleared up and the jet dryers got out there. MRN confirmed on the radio that Nascar intended to get the whole race in because skies were clear and the following morning, SC was going under state of emergency. They started pre-race ceremonies around 10pm - and the race started around 10:30. The Southern 500 is a long race - one of the few 500-milers left on the schedule. It was a good race. The air temperature felt fanastic, everyone was tired but Erik Jones got his first Cup win . . . literally at 2:00am.

We went back to the hotel by the interstate and passed out.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom