The new Airbus planes (1 Viewer)

Hydrogen for cars is really stupid IMO. But, Hydrogen for passenger planes makes a whole lot more sense. The biggest challenges are the infrastructure, storage tanks (they are heavy), and finally the manufacturing of hydrogen. The vast majority of hydrogen is made from Oil or Natural Gas these days. Electrolysis is very inefficient and you’ll need a lot of solar or wind to truly make it zero emission.

It’s still early and I’m still intregued. I would love to see someone build a production Blended Wing Body passenger jet. Boeing has been toying around with the idea for decades but they won’t take the plunge. Maybe Airbus will take the risk.

A: Boeing better get on the stick
B: If we manage to drop aircraft emissions by a noticeable degree, it'll be interesting to see what happens with global dimming. Weird as it may seem, aircraft emissions and contrails are helping to mute the effects of global warming. Take that away and sea level increases and weather effects may accelerate beyond even the most pessimistic predictions.

There would need to be a major advance in generating hydrogen at the airport. Then we could use the pipelines already in place at most major airports.

Hydrogen you say?

Hydrogen is probably safer than JP8.
There was a lot that went into the Hindenburg disaster. A lot more than just using Hydrogen.

There would need to be a major advance in generating hydrogen at the airport. Then we could use the pipelines already in place at most major airports.

I'm not sure that would be the case. Hydrogen boils off very easily. It also can seep through almost any material.

I was thinking the same thing. Jet fuel is pretty darn flammable.
Jet-A is as flammable as diesel.

I saw an article about the Japanese switching to blue ammonia to fire their turbine power generation. The Saudis apparently have built a huge plant that creates blue ammonia from hydrocarbons and sequesters the CO2 somehow. Maybe Airbus is planning on using ammonia as it's source of hydrogen. If so, we could relatively easily switch our airport pipelines from jet fuel to ammonia.

Jet-A is as flammable as diesel.

I saw an article about the Japanese switching to blue ammonia to fire their turbine power generation. The Saudis apparently have built a huge plant that creates blue ammonia from hydrocarbons and sequesters the CO2 somehow. Maybe Airbus is planning on using ammonia as it's source of hydrogen. If so, we could relatively easily switch our airport pipelines from jet fuel to ammonia.

Yep, Jet fuel is high grade diesel. It wasn't uncommon for navy jet maintenance techs to siphon off some fuel from a jet on the flight line in order to keep the diesel generators running at night when a fuel truck wasn't available.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom