The New Mutants (1 Viewer)

Brock Meaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bu9e410C__I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This looks pretty interesting. Our first full-fledged comic book horror film. New Mutants, Deadpool, and Logan make me glad that there are some properties that Marvel doesn't have the rights to, because it seems like (in some respects) Fox is finally figuring it out and letting their properties go in fresh directions. Just give Marvel back the Fantastic Four (and more importantly, Doom and Galactus) and we'd be close to a perfect world. Movie-wise, at least.

New Mutants, Deadpool, and Logan make me glad that there are some properties that Marvel doesn't have the rights to, because it seems like (in some respects) Fox is finally figuring it out and letting their properties go in fresh directions.
True, with Marvel building their universe, the properties held by Fox definitely have more freedom to go in directions that wouldn't necessarily tie in (stylistically or story-wise) with the Marvel universe if they were in it. I'm still not convinced Fox are quite there yet though. I'd give Marvel an A overall, Fox, a C+, maybe B after their last couple of efforts.

Just give Marvel back the Fantastic Four (and more importantly, Doom and Galactus
and Silver Surfer
) and we'd be close to a perfect world. Movie-wise, at least.

True, with Marvel building their universe, the properties held by Fox definitely have more freedom to go in directions that wouldn't necessarily tie in (stylistically or story-wise) with the Marvel universe if they were in it. I'm still not convinced Fox are quite there yet though. I'd give Marvel an A overall, Fox, a C+, maybe B after their last couple of efforts.

and Silver Surfer

It's tw0 separate grades for me on Fox:

X-Men - solid B+
X2, Logan, First Class, and Days of Future Past are all excellent films. X-Men and The Wolverine are very solid. Only X3 and Origins:Wolverine are terrible.

Fantastic Four - F-
Honestly, there needs to be a worse grade than that. Their treatment of the FF ought to be something Stan Lee could prosecute as Libel.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bu9e410C__I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This looks pretty interesting. Our first full-fledged comic book horror film.

Interesting? Looks pretty WRONG to me. New Mutants was not a horror comic book; I'm miffed that Fox is turning the movie into one.

I really have no idea what to make of this.

New Mutants did at times have some horror elements (the Demon Bear story arc definitely had some), but this looks like a haunted house jump scare movie that happens to star the New Mutants.

I'm a big New Mutants fan and have to be honest, this isn't how I would have preferred their first cinematic outing to go. But FOX seems to be taking a really de-centralized approach to the Mutant properties and trying different things with them. I can't fault them for that.

So in other words, I guess I'll wait and see.

It was reported when this was announced that this was at the very least borrowing very heavily from the Demon Bear saga. Combine that with making an introductory film that seems like it'll be about a group of kids figuring out their powers for the first time (and how frightening that must be) and I can see going this route. It doesn't mean that the franchise from here on out has to be more horror. But it's taking the larger genre in a direction it hasn't really gone in since the first two Blade movies, and I can appreciate that.

I know very little about the comic origins, etc. I was basically just a huge fan of the 90s cartoon and most of movies since. Can anyone give me an idea who the main characters are and why it's so 'dark'? I thought the trailer looked pretty cool-

I know very little about the comic origins, etc. I was basically just a huge fan of the 90s cartoon and most of movies since. Can anyone give me an idea who the main characters are and why it's so 'dark'? I thought the trailer looked pretty cool-

In the comics The New Mutants were basically the third generation of X-Men or X-Men trainees. The first was the original 5 (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Iceman, and Angel), the second was the All-New era (Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, etc.), and then you had the New Mutants who were basically students at the Xavier school and not yet full blown X-Men.

The more prominent members (and the one you will see in the movie) are:

Ilyana Rasputin AKA Magik: Colossus' younger sister who is essentially an extremely powerful magic user (and her story gets weird as all hell and it's way more than I can ever attempt to recap here. She is a truly weird character.)

Danielle Moonstar AKA Mirage: A Native American (Cheyenne) mutant who has the ability to create illusions.

Sam Guthrie AKA Cannonball: A redneck kid from Kentucky who has an insane number of brothers and sisters (many of whom are also mutants). He has the ability to generate a field around himself that both allows him to fly and generally makes him highly resistant to injury while doing so. So, like his namesake, he basically hurls himself at things at high speeds and smashes them.

Rahne Sinclair AKA Wolfsbane: Scottish girl who is, essentially, a werewolf. Not in the supernatural sense, but her mutant powers allow her to transform into a wolf as well as a wolf/human hybrid form. Very religious and struggles both with her wolf form's more animalistic side as well as a very fundamentalist religious upbringing that leads to things like self loathing about her powers.

Roberto da Costa AKA Sunspot: A Brazillian kid who absorbs solar energy and can manipulate it to do various things, including giving himself a powered up form where he is completely black except for glowing eyes and super strong.

As to the tone, this has to do with what is probably the most famous New Mutants storyline, which was the Demon Bear saga. Prior to this it had been a fairly traditional X-Men style comic, but with the Demon Bear saga was the debut of Bill Sienkiewicz as the series artist, and he brought a really trippy and different art style to the series. The story basically involved Dani Moonstar believing she was being stalked by a demonic bear spirit that had previously murdered her parents.

demon-bear-new-mutants18.png

There's some psychological horror at play (nobody really believing Dani's story and her increasingly feeling like the Demon Bear is closing in), some haunted house stuff when the story eventually moves to a hospital, possession, etc. It's very much a horror story as opposed to the usual superhero/supervillain stuff. This looks to be the tone they're going for in the movie.

But I should note, most New Mutants stories are far more typical superhero (or at least X-Men style superhero) fare. The Demon Bear Saga is definitely tonally different than most of the series.

Since they are going with a horror theme I think there is also the possibly of them leveraging Magick being the ruler of a hell dimension. Her actual mutant ability is to teleport, but she accidentally ended up in a dimension full of demons once and became their "queen". The dimension was called Limbo.

It could lead to a variation of the Inferno story line, minus the Madeline Pryor stuff.

Any word on if they are planning on having Warlock in it? I'd love to see what they could do onscreen with the techno-organic virus.

Edit: Come to think of it, Magick was actually raised in Limbo and effectively part demon herself. If they are going with the horror theme there's definitely a lot to leverage between Magick and Warlock.

I sort of remember an odd patchwork episode centering around Cannonball towards the end of the 90s cartoon run. Really appreciate the rundown, I am interested in those characters. So is this some sort of reality/storyline where all the other x-men are deceased?

I'll see it. I really hope they rework t to be the entry point into the MCU X Men franchise. I'm not sure exactly how, but it would be a good oppurtunity to open that door with fresh characters that were never seen in the Fox X Men world.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom