The new swastika? (1 Viewer)

Bottomline:
If Jews find it offensive, then it IS offensive. Same rules as any other minority, RIGHT?

The ultimate guide to the use of the term "neocon."

Only if most or at least many find it offensive. And, as I've told you before, neither John Stewart nor my boss, who is a Jewish woman from New York, find it offensive.

I'll buy that.

On the other hand, that scarf may represent a lot of things to a lot of people. To me, it'll always represent Arafat, his band of merry PLO cutthroats and their legacy.

_40959286_boyafp.jpg

i find this whole discussion funny, considering that the swastika isnt solely a nazi symbol, just as not everyone who wears a black and white keffiyeh does so with any political significance.

the swastika has roots in several religions and world cultures, and was used as a symbol by the nazis. i think it was originally called a fylfot, or four footed cross.

so i guess, in a sense, the title of the thread isnt so incorrect. literally, the keffiyeh IS the new swastika, because just as the swastika was taken from its nonviolent origin by a radical political party to be used as their symbol, so has the keffiyeh.

on a related note, theres a nice placard in Ernst Cafe in New Orleans about the peaceful origin of the swastika, most likely because people constantly question the use of the symbol on their floor tiles.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom