The NFL has ruined the draft (1 Viewer)

silverbullet

Rookie
Reaction score
Sticky Post
ESPN being owned by Disney along with the NFL’s money grabbing and hollow “we care” messages have ruined the draft.

This garbage is unwatchable. Stupid gimmicks like the fan chair, a never ending parade of guest pickers and the worst, a damn PSA before every pick.

So bad.

The analysis to PSA ratio is about the same as WWL commercials to sports talk.

Not to mention the watered down analysis that’s afraid to offend.

Now they mildly may call a pick a reach. Mel used to scream at GMs. That was entertainment.

Instead of marketing to football fans it’s now geared for old ladies.

“Oh look how funny there’s a fan in a chair (for some inexplicable reason) wearing Vikings horns!” Hilarious.

This is more like a sheetty telethon than a draft broadcast. Waiting for the golden girls to do a tap dance routine to kick off today’s picks.

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
Everything beyond the first half of the first round has always been boring unless you're one of those obsessive GM roleplayers that pretends to grade players and watch film.

I don't do that and I still enjoy it.

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone think that Drew Pearson should announce every 1st round pick?

St. Widge

Socially Distant
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
yea and having idiots get up there and try to dance and say stupid things before announcing the pics, just seems low budget reality tv nonsense

That's only because it is low budget reality TV nonsense. It's what gets ratings and ratings are what the NFL has been about for at least 40 years. Diehard NFL fans will watch no matter what because it's the draft. They do the other stuff to bring in the casuals or non-NFL fans. Ratings get bigger TV contracts which means more money for the owners and the players.

And the fact is as much as I don't like the NFL and think they they only do the right thing when it profits them, they are incredibly successful. They are pretty much so the most successful professional sports league in the world (with the possible exception of the EPL).

Last edited:

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's only because it is low budget reality TV nonsense. It's what gets ratings and ratings are what the NFL has been about for at least 40 years. Diehard NFL fans will watch no matter what because it's the draft. They do the other stuff to bring in the casuals or non-NFL fans. Ratings get bigger TV contracts which means more money for the owners and the players.

And the fact is as much as I don't like the NFL and think they they only do the right thing when it profits them, they are incredibly successful. They are pretty much so the most successful professional sports league in the world (with the possible exception of the EPL).
it's both amusing and bemusing watching people slowly realize they aren't the target demographic anymore

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The NFL ruined Saints football. I just can't get it up anymore.

MLaw

Saints fan since '71....
Reaction score
Everybody's different.... which is a good thing. I liked the Saturday-Sunday format. I like the Thursday-Saturday format too. I like the serious football analysis (when it happens)... and I like the goofiness of today's drafts. To me it's some football stuff to watch in the offseason. Regardless of what it is..... I will watch it!

Zaphod

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I watched the ESPN livestream with Matt Berry etc on YouTube Thursday night and it wasn’t too bad

Xeno

Practice Squad
Reaction score
The NFL Draft should be a business event, not a political and fan gimics circus.
It takes away from the dignity of the event.

The.. What?? It's a glorified, televised lottery drawing and always has been. I've never understood why anybody watches it beyond there just being nothing else on television these days.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom