The NFL has ruined the draft (1 Viewer)

The NFL Draft should be a business event, not a political and fan gimics circus.
It takes away from the dignity of the event.

The.. What?? It's a glorified, televised lottery drawing and always has been. I've never understood why anybody watches it beyond there just being nothing else on television these days.

I ignore the parts I don’t care about, but that requires not letting ancillary things affect your enjoyment of something.

I miss the days when I got up and walked to the store to get a Times Picayune on Sunday morning to see who the Saints drafted...because there was no coverage.

Just follow it on the internet if you don't like the low budget programming that is the draft

Ok boomer jk. NFL is a production, it kind of feels like they are trying to reach a younger crowd. Especially with the cartoony stuff. I don’t mind it nor care for it.

I don’t think I’ve ever watched the draft other than the first round and enjoying the draftees and their families being happy.

Do you really like this format?

Not everything has to be vanilla to appeal to everyone. The draft was a niche event for hardcore football fans.

Now it’s like the damn halftime show. Generic junk for casual fans
The draft was something the owners and GMs gathered in a hotel meeting room in New York to do, lasted twenty-some odd rounds, and if you lived in a market where a franchise was located you MIGHT read the complete results in the fine print section at the back of the Sports section of your local newspaper next to the MLB box scores. You'd get a few feature articles on your local team's draft in Monday's paper, and a piece about players who were drafted from local colleges, if any.

As the league realized that there was actually a market for more extensive coverage among the fan base, they began to open the process up to the public, re-tailoring their product constantly to increase the appeal to an ever-larger audience. The draft experience evolved much like mankind itself, always changing, moving along a continuum without a preconceived idea of a finished product. Mankind was still sleeping in trees to avoid nighttime predators, and draft coverage meant radio-only updates on an hourly basis. Neanderthals figured out they could expand their livable climate range by wrapping themselves in animal furs, and Pete Rozelle figured someone might like to actually watch the player selection process on television. Back in 1980. On a Tuesday morning. In part because the fledgling ESPN didn't have contracts for actual game coverage for major sports yet, beyond Australian Rules Football.

We may never know exactly how Cro-Magnon replaced Neanderthals...just like we may never know why ESPN may have decided four years later that viewers would like someone who was an "expert" on college players and their suitability for the pro game. Someone with really funny hair. But it proved popular, as did the integration of more game footage, and later focus on the human interest stories behind many of the players. Some of the new "features" of draft coverage were popular with a broader audience, expanding the viewership, but perhaps not as popular with the more long-term fans who may have resented the thought that "experts" were needed to explain things they already knew. Some new features stick, some don't. Evolution.

You may want the coverage to be done in a particular manner just as you remember it at one point in it's evolution. Someone else may love the broadcasts now. Hell, some of us might long for the days when the player pool was just composed of names with corresponding skill sets rather than actual human beings with life stories.

We all probably have a place on the timeline where we thought NFL Draft coverage was at it's apogee and that it's been all down since. But I'd warrant that that point's location is probably pretty fluid, depending on who we actually ask.

ESPN being owned by Disney along with the NFL’s money grabbing and hollow “we care” messages have ruined the draft.

This garbage is unwatchable. Stupid gimmicks like the fan chair, a never ending parade of guest pickers and the worst, a damn PSA before every pick.

So bad.

The analysis to PSA ratio is about the same as WWL commercials to sports talk.

Not to mention the watered down analysis that’s afraid to offend.

Now they mildly may call a pick a reach. Mel used to scream at GMs. That was entertainment.

Instead of marketing to football fans it’s now geared for old ladies.

“Oh look how funny there’s a fan in a chair (for some inexplicable reason) wearing Vikings horns!” Hilarious.

This is more like a sheetty telethon than a draft broadcast. Waiting for the golden girls to do a tap dance routine to kick off today’s picks.
I agree....it’s unwatchable. I’m watching DAZN Boxing Channel right now. After the main event of Chisora vs Parker I’m gonna watch the payperview of Ruiz vs Arreola tonight.

For me I just find the fans reactions as fake. Every selection, they show the fans jumping for joy like they know who these players are. It seems scripted. I like the old days where we see fans boo the selections or looks disappointed. It looked more genuine. These days, fans seem to follow a que to cheer for television sake.

Way too overhyped of an event. I haven't watched one in years. The last one I watched, was the Reggie Bush draft, up to that pick. The one before, the Ricky Williams draft.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom