The NFL Lens: Anticipation and Touch with Drew Brees by Matt Waldman (1 Viewer)

There's a part of me that really hopes the genius is not Brees but Sean Payton. That way we at least have a chance to enjoy something like this after Brees retires. Brees has been incredible.

Matt Waldman does some really nice stuff. He's worth a twitter follow if you don't already...

There's a part of me that really hopes the genius is not Brees but Sean Payton. That way we at least have a chance to enjoy something like this after Brees retires. Brees has been incredible.

All my uneducated opinion, so take it as such.

Payton's play designs are a huge part of the sucess the team has enjoyed. But Brees runs it better than almost anyone else in the world probably could. We tend to forget that Drew has a degree in Industrial Management, with a focus on engineering (not just a general studies degree. I'm looking at you, Tom Brady).

He spent time studying how to make an organization run, solve logistic issues, and how to lay out a means of production for optimum output. He knows how to look at a blue print, and figure out a way to bring it to fruition.

That translates extremely well into the scheme that Payton has designed, and why Brees can get forty catches out of a Robert Meachem, while San Diego can't even get him to twenty. Brees was just built for this type of system.

I can't imagine anyone else ever coming in and running it as well, but I do feel that a smarter than average kid with very good accuracy can still do really terrific things within Payton's system. Someone like a Jake Browning could really be good in New Orleans.

But I doubt we'll ever see the same level of awesome as we are witnessing right now.

All my uneducated opinion, so take it as such.

Payton's play designs are a huge part of the sucess the team has enjoyed. But Brees runs it better than almost anyone else in the world probably could. We tend to forget that Drew has a degree in Industrial Management, with a focus on engineering (not just a general studies degree. I'm looking at you, Tom Brady).

He spent time studying how to make an organization run, solve logistic issues, and how to lay out a means of production for optimum output. He knows how to look at a blue print, and figure out a way to bring it to fruition.

That translates extremely well into the scheme that Payton has designed, and why Brees can get forty catches out of a Robert Meachem, while San Diego can't even get him to twenty. Brees was just built for this type of system.

I can't imagine anyone else ever coming in and running it as well, but I do feel that a smarter than average kid with very good accuracy can still do really terrific things within Payton's system. Someone like a Jake Browning could really be good in New Orleans.

But I doubt we'll ever see the same level of awesome as we are witnessing right now.

Nice assessment and nuggets. Didn't know that about Drew and the logic definitely applies.

I’d say Emory Hunt leans towards the idealist spectrum of quarterback evaluation. He also knows what the NFL seeks, but he cares more about showing you talent and potential—even if it means damning conventional thought on the position.

I like the shout out to New Orleans own Emory Hunt who posts here as Football CEO and has his own website that he links to often. His are often times the best break downs and analyses available, in my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom