The NFL writers' MVP conundrum.......... (LONG) (1 Viewer)

the MVP will go to a player on a team with a good record. Brees plays at an MVP level but if the Saints aren't winning games then it's easy to make the argument he isn't the most valuable player

I think if Drew breaks the yardage record and we make the playoffs he has to be the MVP. Especially with the ppg our defense gives up. Even if the D plays better, the ppg will still be pretty high.

at least sCam won't make it back to back

And yet, to prove a point that I have tried to make when refuting the "Cam is elite" or "Cam was sooo improved" narratives, Cam's season this year isn't statistically that different than it was last year or his first 4 years. Especially not running, it's almost identical. And passing, he's on pace for a couple of more INT's and more yards.

The only difference was the amount of TD's he had last year. It simply was a statistical anomaly.

Drew's next 3 years:
2016: MVP
2017: Super Bowl MVP
2018: Super Bowl MVP
*Possible MVP in 2017 or 2018

EDIT:
2019 and 2020: Breaks all remaining QB records

Sticking with your wrestling theme, Brees is Cesaro. One of the best in the world and always puts on a technically proficient show. They are both very underrated and there's some hairline similarities as well. But the bookers are never going to give him the big belt because he's not a flashy new name and they just don't believe in him anymore.

I don't think that's the right comparison. Brees has had success and been at the very top. Cesaro has not.

I think Jericho is a better comparison. He has been at the top and beat The Rock and Stone Cold on the same night; but The Rock and Stone Cold will always be thought of as better overall...think Peyton and Brady...

But we all know that Brees is the best in the world at what he does...

I don't think that's the right comparison. Brees has had success and been at the very top. Cesaro has not.

I think Jericho is a better comparison. He has been at the top and beat The Rock and Stone Cold on the same night; but The Rock and Stone Cold will always be thought of as better overall...think Peyton and Brady...

But we all know that Brees is the best in the world at what he does...

This is a glorious comparison. Especially when you consider how Brees has beaten Manning in the Super Bowl, and I imagine he will face Brady in one in the next couple of years. Also that Brees didn't come in as a sure fire main eventer like Manning or have a meteoric rise like Brady. He simply kept doing it and doing it better. Add in to that the fact that Jericho is a fan favorite, despite usually being a heel (Brees isn't, but the Saints are, sadly) and it really does mirror up with Brees remarkably well.

Replace Manning with Brady. IF the Cowboys get a 1st round bye, Elliot wins. Otherwise, Brady will get it.

VvJtXtM.png

Really good stuff Duck! Thx much.

And if we finish 6-10, there's no way the writers can give Brees the MVP even though he would deserve it if he continues at this pace.

It depends on hw MVP is defined. Who even knows? Brees is the best at his position across the NFL but this is likely the 3rd straight losing season. That means he isnt as valuable since he cant elevate the team.

Put him on Denver or Minnesota's team and he wins it with ease. The MVP right now is Zeke Elliot. Really should be Cowboys Oline but they can only give it to one player.

Saints would literally have to win out for Brees to even have a 5% chance of winning MVP.

In 2011, the Saints were 13-3. We won our last 8 regular season games.

Brees had 5,476 yards, 46 tds, 14 ints
Rogers had 4,643 yards, 45 tds, and 6 ints

Green Bay was 15-1.

New Orleans D that year had 16 ints and fumbles rec combined
Green Bay D that year had 38 ints and fumbles rec combined

And Rodgers won that vote 48 to 2. Think about that. Rodgers won just 2 more games than Brees, and only beat Brees in ints, got pounded by yards thrown, all while playing with a defense that gave the ball to him 22 more times.

And yet Brees only got 2 freakin votes, to 48.

Brees would have to win out this year, throw for 400 yards per game at least, 4 TDS per game, with 0 ints the rest of the year.

And even then, odds would be against him.

If this defense continues to play poorly and Drew somehow someway wills us to a 10-6 record and he has an incredible game winning drive vs Atlanta in week 17 to win the division, along with 7 other game winning drives during the season (8 would be an NFL record), breaks the 5500 yard mark barrier with 45 TDs against only 10 interceptions and a 112.7 qb rating, he will finally win that elusive MVP award.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom