The NHL 2019-2020 is here. (1 Viewer)

Former Dallas Stars player Richard Peverly collapsed similarly but had to be resuscitated with an AED and CPR; his heart had stopped beating. Hopefully Bouwmeester makes a quick and successful recovery.

Thank goodness they had an AED device.

When Tim Russert collapsed and died in the NBC studio, they did not even have an AED device & he died sooooo young.

Former Dallas Stars player Richard Peverly collapsed similarly but had to be resuscitated with an AED and CPR; his heart had stopped beating. Hopefully Bouwmeester makes a quick and successful recovery.

A friend of mine has a heart condition, and that has happened to him a couple times, he just passes out and wakes up a minute or so later. When I saw that happened and that Bouwmeester recovered quickly, the first thing that came through my mind was his heart.

My bud needs a pacemaker he's refusing to get. Hopefully Bouwmeester won't need one, or there goes what's left of his hockey career.

Last edited:
"Nutritional Supplements" can have that effect as well. Back in the days of the New Orleans Brass, I vividly remember a young man named Darryl LaFrance removed from the locker room, post-game, on a stretcher with a "cardiac issue." Team never said what the cause or result was, but back in the day, it was widely known that many players were loading up on Sudafed's and such for the ephedrine bump. None of it was against the rules, but those additives can have random effects on an athlete's physiology. As can creatine, energy drinks, energy shots and such.

Thankfully, Darryl recovered and all was well, but it was a scary scene. Hopefully Bouwmeester will make a full recovery.

And then, there's the whole Chris Pronger issue where his heart stopped after taking a puck to the sternum (1998). Scary shirt...

The way it happened, I thought it may have been his heart. I have an acquaintance that

A friend of mine has a heart condition, and that has happened to him a couple times, he just passes out and wakes up a minute or so later. When I saw that happened and that Bouwmeester recovered quickly, the first thing that came through my mind was his heart.

My bud needs a pacemaker he's refusing to get. Hopefully Bouwmeester won't need one, or there goes what's left of his hockey career.

Hopefully your buddy wises up. In Peverly's case, he had an ablation surgery for an irregular heartbeat, and then played hockey when he was cleared. I guess it wasn't the best advice to play again, and he did retire and is now a part of the Stars organization.

In Bouwmeester's case, I haven't read where he lost consciousness or not. My mom has a condition called Vasovagal syncope which causes a dramatic drop in blood pressure and slowed heart rate, and has caused her to nearly faint.

Isn't he the one who reportedly asked EMTs in the ambulance if they would be able to get him back in time for the 3rd period?

Isn't he the one who reportedly asked EMTs in the ambulance if they would be able to get him back in time for the 3rd period?

Yeah. Hockey players gonna hockey. :hihi:

I"m bringing this up based on this happening 2 times over the weekend and I'm left scratching my head. I'm referring to a penalty shot being awarded on a clear path foul. It happened in the NY Rangers/San Jose game, and then in Dallas/Chicago game. In the Rangers game, a rookie player got the penalty shot because he was fouled on clear path. In the Stars game, Matias Janmark was awarded a penalty shot as well. I'm wondering about the rule of who takes the shot and should it be changed?

If you're the Rangers, I bet you put Artemi Panarin out there instead of the rookie, and the Stars probably put Radulov or Seguin in place of Janmark. In soccer, the coach chooses who takes the PK and it's not usually the player that was fouled. Why can't hockey do this? Hell, in the case of Janmark taking the shot, I'd rather have the power play where better offensive players get on the ice. I realize you run the risk of giving up a short-handed goal, but it would be the coaches decision. Has this change ever been brought up?

I know that the NHL and/or hockey in general doesn't get a lot of talk on this site (especially with the season shutting down this year), but if you are planning to do any sort of virtual mass tomorrow, please offer up a quick prayer for the family of Colby Cave who passed away this morning at the age of 25, due to a cyst forcing pressure to his brain. The cyst apparently ruptured earlier this week and doctors were unable to save him.

The young man went undrafted, but managed to grind and scrap his way up to the NHL; spending time with the Bruins and the Oilers.

May he Rest in Peace and may his family find peace moving forward.

Last edited:
I know that the NHL and/or hockey in general doesn't get a lot of talk on this site (especially with the season shutting down this year), but if you are planning to do any sort of virtual mass tomorrow, please offer up a quick prayer for the family of Colby Cave who passed away this morning at the age of 25, due to a cyst forcing pressure to his brain. The cyst apparently ruptured earlier this week and doctors were unable to save him.

The young man went undrafted, but managed to grind and scrap his way up to the NHL; spending time with the Bruins and the Oilers.

May he Rest in Peace and may his family find peace moving forward.
Wow........that sucks, right before Easter.

Prayers up for his family & friends.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom