The number 4 wideout is not on the roster right now. (1 Viewer)

Well, Dez Bryant states that the Saints have first crack at him when he’s recovered from his injury.
Because his phone is ringing off the hook with offers, right?

We have let the vets go for a reason. The team will have done their due diligence on the other options available. If new options become available, they'll do their diligence there too. Ultimately the best available option may be to stand pat.

Cobbs was getting snaps with the 1s at Sunday’s practice. He looks the part out there, I was impressed. And we all know about Butler. I think we’re fine at WR. Someone the Saints cut at that position will make another teams roster, maybe 2.
Hoping we can stash at least one of the young guys on the PS.

Receiving options for the Saints look something like this:
1. Mike Thomas
2. Alvin Kamara
3. Jared Cook
4. Ted Ginn Jr.
5. Latavius Murray
6. TreQuan Smith
7. Keith Kirkwood
8. Whichever WR wins the camp battle for the last roster spot
9. Whichever TE wins the camp battle for the #3 TE spot
10. Josh Hill

I think it's possible that Cook and Kamara swap the #2 and #3 spots.
And just as possible that Ginn and Murray's production winds up in a different order.

Drew averaged 31 throws and 23 receptions last season. He was even more efficient than usual but his amounts were down slightly from his average of 34 throws and 24 receptions per game.

Lets say
Mike Thomas averages 9 targets and 7 catches
Kamara averages 6 targets and 5 catches
Jared Cook averages 5 targets and 4 catches
Tedd Ginn averages 4 targets and 3 catches
Murray gets Ingram's old ratio of about 4 targets and 3 catches
That's 28 throws and 22 catches off the board

That leaves 3 targets and 1 reception available for the next 5 receiving option...

Now that's not going to happen of course (16 receptions split between 5 players for the year??? No way.)
So lets take 1 target and 1 reception away from each of those on the list, even though I doubt Kamara and Cook's usage are less than what is listed... and Mike Thomas is going to eat as well.

That adds 5 and 5 and makes a total of 8 targets and 6 receptions available per game for the bottom 5 receiving options on the list. Divided equally among those five pass catchers, it gives them something like 20 targets and 16 receptions each on the year.
However, they won't be split up perfectly even, so there's room for ONE more receiver to have "notable" stats, but not enough to push one of these guys into "weapon" status.

A likely scenario has a guy like Smith with 40-50 targets and 30-40 receptions while the next guy on the list (say Kirkwood) with 30-40 targets and 20-30 receptions.

So it doesn't really matter if it's a veteran brought in, an upstart UDFA rookie, or one of our young developing WRs that fills the #6 receiving option role... we won't be talking about a player that "broke out" come January.

No, what we should expect, or at least hope for, is that the guys from #6 through #10 step up and make the play in the rare event that they're called on. A case and point for this would be Dan Arnold's drop in the endzone during the NFCCG. He makes that catch, and whodat nation loves the guy. Instead the ball hit the ground and he's a guy we need to upgrade.

In other words, we should all probably temper our expectations a bit. Unless SP and drew dial our offense back a few years... back to when Drew was throwing 40 passes per game and completing 28 of them... There's little room for a receiver to make a huge leap.

Last edited:
Wrong. We have Cook.

1st is CGM, 2nd is Cook, 3rd is Kamara. 4th options depends on the situation. We may need a streak and use Ginn /TQS or we may need a cross route and go for Kirky/Carr/Butler. Either way we're good on offense. McCoy is fitting in nice and plus we can push the pocket on runs better. Plus we have like 30% of our playbook open now that we have Cook.

What we need to focus on are our depth. Backup TE, Backup RB, Backup WR. Who's catching if MT is gassed for a play or two.

Its more likely that one of our current WRs end up on another roster than vice versa

I agree with THIS guy. Based on camp reports, I'm betting it will be more than one. I wish we could trade one of those solid WR prospects for a solid T prospect...not likely to happen...but would be ideal, IMO.

Unless something changes Ginn and Smith will be the number 2/3 wideouts after Thomas. But after that there is a major dropoff on the roster. So I think either a trade at the end of the preseason or player who is on the bubble who gets cut from team that has better WR depth then the Saints.

Maybe it's a little early but about 2 weeks from now, I think some names start to come out of WR available.

I been watching the saints for a while and saints run alot 3 Wr 1RB 1FB/TE sets on passing downs. I dont think they trade for a 4th WR, he probably be a healthy scratch most weeks any way.

I totally disagree, I think by the time the season starts and progresses TQS will be the #4....I fully expect Kirkwood to emerge as the #3 ......

I totally disagree, I think by the time the season starts and progresses TQS will be the #4....I fully expect Kirkwood to emerge as the #3 ......
Man. I watched how Tre quan runs now and he is running better with a little bit more power than last year. Impressive catch against a defender in the first game.

Grayson hasn’t even been mentioned. He’s doing well and is a burner. I could see Butler/Grayson making it and Kirkwood starting on pup.

Lots of competition at wr. Just need to see who can get open consistently.
Hasn't Kirkwood practiced? If so, he cannot go on PUP.

Expecting another team's #7 WR to be better than our #4 is a massive steetch..

And those cuts are going to be a vast majority of UDFAs and 7th round draft picks anyway.

If theres any moves made after final cuts on offense its because of an injury, or maybe a QB to take JT Barrett's old spot on the PS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom