The number 4 wideout is not on the roster right now. (1 Viewer)

If Cyril grayson keeps making plays like he did the other night, he can't be counted out for sure.

I agree. I'm not a coach and don't pretend to be, but in my eyes, Grayson almost has the edge on the last receiver spot, at least at this moment. The reason why is because he's a burner. The only other receiver we have that's fast is Ginn, and he is up there in age. He also seems to have pretty good hands, and we saw his ability in the return game. I like Harris's ability at returner, but if comes down to one or the other, I might have to go Grayson. He fills multiple needs, and there's Sherels who we signed for the return game. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I do like Harris, but not seeing him get much action at receiver has me leaning this way.

Yeah... but the Saints were good enough with guys like Kirky and Carr... and even Dan Arnold.. to make it to the SuperBowl last season, if not for the worst no-call in the history of history.
Right so imagine if they had another solid WR.

Remember the cowboys game?. They covered Kamara. Offense struggled

In 2009 the Saints needed a TE and right before season traded for David Thomas who played huge part that season in the 2TE sets and also keeping Jeremy Shockey fresh when he only plays 40 to 45 snaps a game, instead of 60 he would have without Thomas there.

What about Deonte Harris (for his return game, if nothing else)?

The WR position is going to be one of the highly watched positional groups up until cut down day and Deonte Harris to me is a player who I feel Payton brought on for a specific purpose and can be what we thought we would get out of TLL.

His first game (after missing several practices) looked like the player Payton envisioned when he was scouted and brought in to help on special teams (along with Sherels) Harris showed speed, quickness, agility and an overall natural feel as a returner.

Butler
Harris
Humphrey
Cobbs
Kirkwood
Grayson

very interesting to see how this shapes out.

Then we've been really spoiled.
Or the fact that we haven't addressed the position. This was never a concern when we had Colston, Henderson, Meach & Moore.
Injuries happen, and you don't want to get caught with your drawers down.

Man. I watched how Tre quan runs now and he is running better with a little bit more power than last year. Impressive catch against a defender in the first game.

I hear you I think TQS has alot of potential....but, I also think Kirkwood has the intangibles and a bigger body that he knows how to use very well....they have markedly different skill sets but the Saints tend to favor the big physical receivers....

I hear you I think TQS has alot of potential....but, I also think Kirkwood has the intangibles and a bigger body that he knows how to use very well....they have markedly different skill sets but the Saints tend to favor the big physical receivers....
Problem with Kirkwood is he isn't on the field. I thought Kirkwood was a better receiver toward the end. But give it to Smith. He has worked hard and seems to improve. He looks to have a good training camp. If those two can improve and take it to the next level, a big win for us. Two talented and improved receivers for us. I don't recall Meechem and Henderson being good the first year either.

This may be really controversial and I doubt it happens but....

I find it highly unlikely the Saints would replace their developmental players ( rookie and 2nd year guys) with a vet to be the #4 WR. The competition at #4 and #5 SHOULD be young guys. The competition there is good right now with Kirkwood, Butler, Humphrey, Cobb and Carr. (On a side note, if Carr makes the team...we're in trouble. That means 0 improvement has occurred at the end of the roster at WR...0.)

If we sign a vet, and again that's a big IF, it is with #2 or #3 snaps in mind. This would be directed towards replacing Ginn or pushing Smith down the depth chart.

I think Carr is the odd man out if the rest of the preseason plays out like it has so far with the performances.

Isn't anyone else tired of hearing training camp after training camp about how great this or that wide receiver prospect looks only to have them pull a complete disappearing act when the regular season starts? (I count 4ish? of about 3 dozen who didn't in the Sean Payton era)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Everyone here is talking about who the 4th WR will be and I'm wondering who is the 2nd.

Seriously, this offense will be in such a great position if another guy or two separate themselves from the others to and solidify the 2nd and/or 3rd options at the position.

I'd really like to see TQS and Butler fill those roles. Then whatever we get out of Ginn and/or the other guys is lagniappe.

Isn't anyone else tired of hearing training camp after training camp about how great this or that wide receiver prospect looks only to have them pull a complete disappearing act when the regular season starts? (I count 4ish? of about 3 dozen who didn't in the Sean Payton era)

I'll believe it when I see it.
That's just fans completely over-projecting the new players at the position. It's always the most common topic throughout preseason, recency bias leads to crazy proclamations about how rookie#6 will cost longstanding veteran WR#2 their job, because he looks great in shorts and against fourth stringers.

Best just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Many of you in this thread are fixated on who WR's #4, 5, and wow even 6 might be.

I see it differently.

I think the infusion of young talent is not just to weed it out for the last 1 or 2 roster spots at WR. I think they're there also as a challenge to Ginn, Smith, and Kirkwood. Don't get me wrong, I like those guys, but after the collapse last season, the coaches have put a bullseye on the WR unit, Michael Thomas excepted.

And when Tommylee got mauled on the no-call, I can't be the only one who was angry that the ball was even going to Tommylee Lewis.

If the coaches entered camp with a sense of urgency to upgrade the unit, then it's not a leap that they are evaluating while holding grudges. Ginn's injury hurt the Saints last year. So did Tre'Quan Smith going AWOL. Kirkwood emerged from nowhere last year in potential, but he's still unproven and did not scare anyone when it mattered. Carr is a joke who looks like a college receiver and the only reason he is around is if the Saints still have that old foolish pride of holding on too long to their projects.

Salary cap is not a factor. Ginn is a $1,000,000 dead cap and Carr is $500,000. No factor there.

I think Ginn, if healthy is a lock. But I think the competition is more open than you think. When the top pass-catching targets in an offense that no longer goes over the top are Kamara, Thomas, Murray, and Cook, then they may be willing to let more of the young guys stick. Keep an eye on everything beyond receiving. How well do these kids block? Who is getting special teams snaps? (Sigler and Hendrix tweet out the snap counts after games). Who brings skills to the table that take defensive pressure off of the core players?

This WR unit battle was huge in making preseason game #1 not only bearable, but entertaining. The next 3 weeks should be fun. Survivor. Hell's Kitchen. Bachelor. American Idol. Who Wants to be the Saints' Receivers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom