The number 4 wideout is not on the roster right now. (1 Viewer)

Wholeheartedly disagree...the only problem with Ginn is staying healthy...when he is on the field he makes plays, at least 2 big ones a game....and he shows up big in the playoffs...

I've been one of the first people to come to TG's defense. People have written him off and I've been quick to point out that, without doubt, he is the 2nd best WR on this team. He was certainly missed last year when he was hurt, and the offense struggled without him. I like Ted, but I'd prefer him to be my #3. We lack a true #2 type right now. I'd like to see someone step up, or the Saints add more top end talent at the position, but I'm quick to admit that Ted has done a good job when healthy.

I've been one of the first people to come to TG's defense. People have written him off and I've been quick to point out that, without doubt, he is the 2nd best WR on this team. He was certainly missed last year when he was hurt, and the offense struggled without him. I like Ted, but I'd prefer him to be my #3. We lack a true #2 type right now. I'd like to see someone step up, or the Saints add more top end talent at the position, but I'm quick to admit that Ted has done a good job when healthy.

I agree. Ted was the 2nd best receiver on the team last year, and maybe even currently. He’s 34, though, and coming off a knee injury, so I’d say in an ideal world I wouldn’t necessarily want him to be our true #2. Not a knock on him more than it is really wanting the young guys to step up to that level. But if Ginn can regain his 2017 form, and be a contributor, I think we’re good.

At the end of the day, Jared Cook will probably be the second most targeted. And as long as the young receivers are more dependable than last year, we should have a scary good offense.

Totally agree, TG is in his mid 30's....I fully expect Kirkwood to emerge from the pack of young WR's if healthy....that said, TQS could be the guy as well....

Totally agree, TG is in his mid 30's....I fully expect Kirkwood to emerge from the pack of young WR's if healthy....that said, TQS could be the guy as well....
We’re kind of in the same spot. I’d love to see TQS become a solid 2nd WR option, but I have my doubts. It’s critical for him to take big steps forward this season.

I love when guys like Lance Moore come out of no where and become solid players. I’d love to see Kirkwood blossom in to that roll, but I think he’s just a guy.

If TQS can’t become that #2, it’s Ginn by default, which leads to my original point. People are concerned about our #4 spot, because a real #2 doesn’t exist. Ted does a good job, but we would all like to do better there. Ted would be a fantastic 3rd WR option. Those who doubt Ted, and many of us who appreciate him, want to get better in that starting #2 spot opposite of CGM.

I love when guys like Lance Moore come out of no where and become solid players. I’d love to see Kirkwood blossom in to that roll, but I think he’s just a guy.

I disagree...I don't think he is just a guy, he does a lot of little things well, he knows how to use his body and he is big and physical. I think he has the potential to be a Colston type of receiver....we will see....

We’re kind of in the same spot. I’d love to see TQS become a solid 2nd WR option, but I have my doubts.

TQS reminds me a LOT of Brandon LaFell. Same size, same speed and quickness, same skill set. Can TQS be a solid No. 2? We may find out soon. This is not a knock against TQS. I think LaFell could have been much better with Brees.

But I agree, I would love to have the luxury of Ted Ginn being the No. 3. Who knows if 1 of the freshmen or sophomores will step up. 2-3 of them certainly have the talent to blow up.

Thread is a bit premature..

from all accounts the #4 most certainly is E.Butler, and he can even push Tre'Quan for snaps depending on how he learns all the receiver roles. (X, Y, Z)

Re. TQS, he was clearly drafted with the end of Ginn's contact in mind. Draft them at least a year before the guy ahead in the depth chart is going into free agency, so you can season them before deciding if they can take over.

If Ginn is still the guy this season, it's all part of the plan for him to be. Again, 53 catches for approaching 800 yards is just fine for a #2 (his most recent healthy year in 2017). Now we have a real TE#1 to pick up some of the targets, so Ginn's numbers can dip, while his role taking the top off of defenses remains unchanged and his ability to do so undimmed.

I disagree...I don't think he is just a guy, he does a lot of little things well, he knows how to use his body and he is big and physical. I think he has the potential to be a Colston type of receiver....we will see....
We will indeed, and it can’t hapoen soon enough. I’m ready for some real (regular season) football. That’s when we’ll start to find out.

I hope I’m wrong about KIrkwood. I see him as a serviceable guy, but not a play maker. I think he’ll get some chances, so maybe he can become that guy you think he is. I sure hope so.

Thread is a bit premature..

from all accounts the #4 most certainly is E.Butler, and he can even push Tre'Quan for snaps depending on how he learns all the receiver roles. (X, Y, Z)

Post above I think is more premature than the thread. Butler may wind up being what a lot of folks are hoping for or he may not even make the team (like so many other camp "beasts")....we will see....

We will indeed, and it can’t hapoen soon enough. I’m ready for some real (regular season) football. That’s when we’ll start to find out.

I hope I’m wrong about KIrkwood. I see him as a serviceable guy, but not a play maker. I think he’ll get some chances, so maybe he can become that guy you think he is. I sure hope so.

Agreed, I just have a hunch about Kirkwood....

I see Kirkwood as primarily the guy behind CGM. The Saints mix and match their WRs a lot, so nothing is carved in stone. But Kirkwood doesn't have the speed that Ginn or TQS do so I see him working the middle of the field, hooks, comebacks, and the like. A lot of the same stuff CGM does (although CGM has more tools in his arsenal than Kirkwood).

I see Kirkwood fighting Butler for a roster spot more than TQS. I guess we'll see how it all works out.

I see Kirkwood as primarily the guy behind CGM. The Saints mix and match their WRs a lot, so nothing is carved in stone. But Kirkwood doesn't have the speed that Ginn or TQS do so I see him working the middle of the field, hooks, comebacks, and the like. A lot of the same stuff CGM does (although CGM has more tools in his arsenal than Kirkwood).

I see Kirkwood fighting Butler for a roster spot more than TQS. I guess we'll see how it all works out.

I think I agree with this, which kind of takes KK out of the #2 talk. This takes us back to TG being a great option at #3, while still being reasonably effective as the #2 if needed and healthy. To me this all means that TQS has to step up. If he doesn't, it's Ted at the #2 spot again. While the Saints do move their guys around and throw to a lot of people, we saw what happened without Ted last year.

I am excited by the talent and competition at the position outside of CGM and Ted, but I'd feel better if we added a playmaker, or if someone took a big step forward. While I feel good about our youth, I'm not sure any of them are #2 ready.

I think I agree with this, which kind of takes KK out of the #2 talk. This takes us back to TG being a great option at #3, while still being reasonably effective as the #2 if needed and healthy. To me this all means that TQS has to step up. If he doesn't, it's Ted at the #2 spot again. While the Saints do move their guys around and throw to a lot of people, we saw what happened without Ted last year.

I am excited by the talent and competition at the position outside of CGM and Ted, but I'd feel better if we added a playmaker, or if someone took a big step forward. While I feel good about our youth, I'm not sure any of them are #2 ready.
The guy I'd most like to see step up big is Grayson. With his speed he could easily take Ginns place when age/injuries finally slow Ginn down. But that means he needs to improve route running and understanding of that huge playbook we have. If he could show hands to go with the speed (so far, so good) then he is the kind of guy to learn under Ginn this year.

We'll see but that speed is hard to find in a good receiver.

Don’t agree

If you trade for a WR you run the risk of the exact same issue those other young WRs had last year.

Not being on the same page with Drew + they will have missed the installs so waiting two weeks from now further strengthens that possibility. This is NOT an easy system to learn. Ask Teddy, a vet, about how hard that was last year and you think a WR is just going to come in and go? Don’t work like that

Allow the young WRs to continue to develop in the system. We’ve got much bigger issues than being pressed for a 4th WR.

Like 0 pass rush without Cam/Rankins making it harder to get get off the field on 3rd downs. Offense was fine Week 1..even with this particular “concern” but don’t let that distract you from the fact that Kirk Cousins had a perfect QB rating vs our 1st team defense.

We’ve got bigger fish to fry

People are underestimating our receivers big time and I don’t get it at all. We have the exact same weapons as last season just added to and much more improved. We have 3 elite weapons, an absolute burner, 2 very promising 2nd year WRs, and some great rookie 5th/6th developmental talents.

We just have both Thomas and Kamara who will continue to grow as football players in the prime of their careers. Thomas is a top WR in the NFL and lead us to an elite offense last season. No Kamara is not a “WR” but when he is on the field there will be 1 less WR on the field and if that was his position he would probably be a pro bowler.

We only added one of the best and most athletic pro bowl TEs in the NFL which just so happens to be Brees favorite weapon. This alone changes our offense and how teams have to cover creating much more space for Brees to work.

Smith who has a 2nd year in the system where he has openly said its night and day from his knowledge of the playbook which will take his game to another level. Some are forgetting he was our draft pick at WR just a year ago but jeep saying we haven’t picked anybody. He was a rookie!!

Kirkwood is another young WR came off our PS and could have easily been a #3 for a bunch of teams as a rookie. If there was a redraft I guarantee Kirkwood is a top 3-4 round pick.

Butler as the new young WR prospect who imo is the most talented WR we have had on this roster as a rookie outside of MT. Now I believe he is potentially even more talented than Colston but I’m not saying he will have the same achievements.

Oh and we have Ginn who still has plenty of gas in the tank and needs to do 1 simple thing.. Stay healthy! Ginn will have more openings then he has ever had now that safeties not only have to worry about Kamara but Cook which changes the game big time. We have more talent to lower his workloads at times as well keeping him fresh.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom