The O line is a prime example (1 Viewer)

Yup, I want to pull out that Mora clip all the time too.

Right now we have the best offense in the NFL and the second worst defense if you believe the stats. But the defense could be a blown run-fit and a blown ref call from being in the middle of the pack, which is all we need.

The defense won't be able to be "fairly" evaluated until half the season is over. If we can go 3-3 until the defense gets more competent in executing Allen's scheme together, and we get Breaux and Rankins back we're in pretty good shape for finishing strong.

At the same time it is fair to say depth is an issue due to our dead money problem and the defense is likely to have fourth quarter struggles all season.

Brees is the best QB in the league and we were the underdogs at home in week 1. We have the best QB in the league (perhaps in history) and it's looking quite likely that at the end of the season we will have to go back 4 years to find a winning season.

Sorry, that's pathetic.
It's a damn travesty how we've struggled to put a team around him that can compete on the regular.

You know what's really perplexing? How this has nothing to do with the subject of our offensive line doing a great job and you posting this when it has nothing to do with that.

As for the offensive line.
Oh, there we are.

We drafted an OT in the top 10, he was moved from LT to RT to RG to LG. He played horribly at every position and played one good game at LG going against a guy that has 3 sacks in his 7 year career.
How is this Peats, fault again? And he let him not get his 4th sack. What else is he supposed to do? Are players not supposed to play who's in front of him?
Let's see how he does moving forward.
Why does that feel like you're metaphorically speaking through cringed teeth here?
Since our top 10 OT of the future is now our starting LG, we have no OT depth. It's so bad that our "is eligible" player who has always been an OT is now a backup OG.
Is it really bad? A lot of fans give Zach Strief a rough time. And, if we're to give attention to PFF, he's consistently grade out well. This last Sunday, he was our best OL. Better than Max Unger or Terron Armstead.

I really feel that most of the harsh sentiment Strief gets is because of people saw him get dominated by JJ Watt, hear him say "Y'all need to get a new tackle!" And took that advice to heart.

It might, mean that Andrus Peat not beating Zach Strief is because Strief is still a quality player for us.

As for our top 10 pick being a guard, I don't care. He can play his whole career as a LG. If he's good at it? Then it was a great pick.

As for depth, who is this team that has starter quality backups? The Cowboys, okay. Ronald Leary and probalby I'm not sure we don't have depth at OL. Lelito is a fine back up and swing tackle. So is Kelemete. And Landon Turner will be starting in the future.

They pulled it off at the last second but like the CB position, we are one injury away from disaster.
Back handed compliment if there ever was one.

Going through this much trouble to turn a positive into a negative, you really don't think much of our coaches do you?

Well, which coach do you want to coach this team?

Perfectly said. I remember this time last year there were tons of calls to bench delvin breaux and fire Payton for even bringing in such a bum. But what kills me the most is watching us tear each other part and hurl personal insults at each other over opinions. We're supposed to be better than that and I'm guilty of it too at times. We are fans, we don't work for the team and likely never will so I don't think a person is stupid, pathetic, delusional, etc. for being optimistic because it's literally our only job. Just like Sean and Mickey, so do we, and we can fail just as easily. We can't control the team or the front office but we can control the direction of the who dat nation.

The board went absolutely insane over preseason about the O line. Payton took heat, Loomis took heat the organization was terrible we don't want to win, (my favorite) we have become a defensive team.

You're right, but remember, it's preseason for the fans too. It takes a game or 2 to get our eyes calibrated and our emotions to settle down. :hihi:

And,,, I wouldn't anoint this O line just yet. They did look better, but that's just 1 game.

In Payton's best seasons, we seldom had more than 1 or 2 squads excelling in any 1 game. The O line may have a bad game, but the D line or LB's would have a great game. The players picked each other up, and made the entire team look better.

It's a damn travesty how we've struggled to put a team around him that can compete on the regular.

You know what's really perplexing? How this has nothing to do with the subject of our offensive line doing a great job and you posting this when it has nothing to do with that.

Oh, there we are.

How is this Peats, fault again? And he let him not get his 4th sack. What else is he supposed to do? Are players not supposed to play who's in front of him? Why does that feel like you're metaphorically speaking through cringed teeth here? Is it really bad? A lot of fans give Zach Strief a rough time. And, if we're to give attention to PFF, he's consistently grade out well. This last Sunday, he was our best OL. Better than Max Unger or Terron Armstead.

I really feel that most of the harsh sentiment Strief gets is because of people saw him get dominated by JJ Watt, hear him say "Y'all need to get a new tackle!" And took that advice to heart.

It might, mean that Andrus Peat not beating Zach Strief is because Strief is still a quality player for us.

As for our top 10 pick being a guard, I don't care. He can play his whole career as a LG. If he's good at it? Then it was a great pick.

As for depth, who is this team that has starter quality backups? The Cowboys, okay. Ronald Leary and probalby I'm not sure we don't have depth at OL. Lelito is a fine back up and swing tackle. So is Kelemete. And Landon Turner will be starting in the future.

Back handed compliment if there ever was one.

Going through this much trouble to turn a positive into a negative, you really don't think much of our coaches do you?

Well, which coach do you want to coach this team?

I'm simply saying that because Peat had one good game going against some fairly inferior talent doesnt mean he wont be a problem moving forward. I dont care if he plays OT or OG, just saying when we drafted him we had zero intentions of kicking him inside. If he works out tgen I'll certainly take it but hard to credit people for the work of luck. Its better to be lucky than good but if we arevgoing to credit the coaches when we luck out then shouldnt they take tthe blame when the bad luck comes and wipes out your secondary?

Jim Mora

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NHipzGL4dwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

One of my favorite and often used Jim Mora Quotes " Ya think ya know , but you don't know , and that never will "

The O line had a solid performance. I don't think it's because of some grand plan from the coaches or front office though. We lucked out getting Jahri back (that 40 mil in dead money is why we had to cut him in the first place). Their design was to play Peat on the right side and finally moved him to LG when that wasn't working. Strief held up admirably at RT in week 1 but can he do it all season? I am impressed with how the O line did just not sure I agree with your overall point that the coaches and front office knew what they were doing this whole time.

Evans didn't play the whole game , he was spelled by SK and TL and the O line didn't miss a beat. I think the plan is STILL to have AP at RT. But right now having ZS at RT and AP at LG puts the 5 best O lineman on the field. Had the OG position been stronger they might have left AP work ONLY at RT and give him a full offseason to switch sides , which is the hardest thing a O lineman can do

I agree with what you say OP. A lot of promising things came out of last weekend. The o-line was the biggest surprise for me and it is proof that we just don't know everything as a fan. Thats also what keeps it exciting and a mystery.

That said, one of the nicest things about last weekend is that there are only a few areas of concern. We took care of the ball well. Brees had time. The run game worked. The run defense was solid. Our kicking game is promising.

There's really only 2 or 3 areas where I see a need of focus this week... Generating pass rush which might be OK based on what we heard the gameplan was against Oakland. CB and Safety help/development (which could improve with a decent pass rush). and lastly, and the one I think we can make the most impact is our game planning to close out games with a lead. I hope this first game was a necessary lesson to the team & coaches to finish strong and play to win instead of not to lose.

just get in the playoffs and then anything goes.... and im sorry... but barring a bunch of injuries on offense, this team will be at the very least fighting for a playoff spot til the end. this offense is 2011 good, and possibly better in regards to speed and talent on the outside. michael thomas is truly going to be the xfactot in my eyes. he is going to be elite, really soon, and this offense will give the saints a lead early in many games which helps our d. raiders were fortunate to win werk 1, and i believe with gameplanning knowing that breaux is out, the d will be much better than what we saw in 4th quarter, especially if ellebre is active.
even still, even with the 32nd defense, you do not want to play this offense in the playoffs.... and tbh its totally realistic for the saints to squeeze in

I agree with what you say OP. A lot of promising things came out of last weekend. The o-line was the biggest surprise for me and it is proof that we just don't know everything as a fan. Thats also what keeps it exciting and a mystery.

That said, one of the nicest things about last weekend is that there are only a few areas of concern. We took care of the ball well. Brees had time. The run game worked. The run defense was solid. Our kicking game is promising.

There's really only 2 or 3 areas where I see a need of focus this week... Generating pass rush which might be OK based on what we heard the gameplan was against Oakland. CB and Safety help/development (which could improve with a decent pass rush). and lastly, and the one I think we can make the most impact is our game planning to close out games with a lead. I hope this first game was a necessary lesson to the team & coaches to finish strong and play to win instead of not to lose.

That’s the one major criticism I have of Allen after this game. I was contemplating not long ago what would have been the reaction of Pete Carroll if he were faced with a situation where he lost Richard Sherman in game and had to play a low round or UDFA rookie at one of the boundary corner positions. The thing I safely concluded Pete would not do is sit back in soft zone coverages waiting to get picked apart just because he was afraid of what could happen to the rook playing press man. He would have faith in the system, his staff’s teaching, and the rook’s ability.

That's right! Everybody just shut up and keep your opinions and concerns to yourselves if they aren't filled with positivity for saints organization. So what if you're a fan? You think you can just come to a unnofficial yet very informative fan forum to discuss positive AND negative views about the team you love with other fans who share your passion? You think it's OK to express your non-professional perspective? Well it isn't. Now put down the crack and and smash your internet viewing device, you silly fool. SUNSHINE!!!

\sarcasm

There's huge difference between the distinction being made by some. "Either be blindly Positive or Shut-up." There's the ones who claim to be the Chosen Ones who only support the Positive View and make the proclamation all others are Debbie Downers and not good loyal Saints fans.

Others can view that blind positivity as foolish and that the Blind Positives are a bunch of ostriches with heads buried in the sand who won't look at reality.

This is a serious problem for SR and for Saints fans. Will we start to buy tickets based on being a Positive or a Negative. Many of us who post what is viewed as negative believe we are realists. The 1st thing to do when there is a problem is to face it, look at it objectively and see if there is a way to fix it. Negativity? Bad Saints fans? We can disagree, but some of the name calling is really rude.

I call on all of us to have some more compassion for each other, regardless of the views and opinions - and that's all these are - opinions. What we all have in common is being die hard Saints fans. That kept us together through 30 years of horror shows week after week. We can love Loomis and appreciate all he has done. We can also love Loomis as he is replaced (not saying that should be done). Regardless, we the brothers and sisters need to hang together - not turn on each other.

There's huge difference between the distinction being made by some. "Either be blindly Positive or Shut-up." There's the ones who claim to be the Chosen Ones who only support the Positive View and make the proclamation all others are Debbie Downers and not good loyal Saints fans.

Others can view that blind positivity as foolish and that the Blind Positives are a bunch of ostriches with heads buried in the sand who won't look at reality.

This is a serious problem for SR and for Saints fans. Will we start to buy tickets based on being a Positive or a Negative. Many of us who post what is viewed as negative believe we are realists. The 1st thing to do when there is a problem is to face it, look at it objectively and see if there is a way to fix it. Negativity? Bad Saints fans? We can disagree, but some of the name calling is really rude.

I call on all of us to have some more compassion for each other, regardless of the views and opinions - and that's all these are - opinions. What we all have in common is being die hard Saints fans. That kept us together through 30 years of horror shows week after week. We can love Loomis and appreciate all he has done. We can also love Loomis as he is replaced (not saying that should be done). Regardless, we the brothers and sisters need to hang together - not turn on each other.

says the guy who questions others fandom, manhood, and tells a mod he thought he was a girl

I'm simply saying that because Peat had one good game going against some fairly inferior talent doesnt mean he wont be a problem moving forward. I dont care if he plays OT or OG, just saying when we drafted him we had zero intentions of kicking him inside. If he works out tgen I'll certainly take it but hard to credit people for the work of luck. Its better to be lucky than good but if we arevgoing to credit the coaches when we luck out then shouldnt they take tthe blame when the bad luck comes and wipes out your secondary?

Agreed. If the main vision was to play him at T and he ends up at G are we really supposed to sing their praises? Credit them for understanding that if you are going to nab a T/MLB but they don't play up to par that there is flexibility to move them around so the misses aren't that apparent. Tackles can go from Left to Right then from T to G until they find a home. MLB's can be moved to Sam and a SAM LB that isn't cutting it there can be changed to a pass rusher depending on size (Martez Wilson) Some positions allow a little more flexibility on misses than others

Yet, If you miss on a skill position player like CB or WR it becomes incredibly evident early and there is not much you can do to cover up that they aren't a good player other than having them on the bench or in some kind of reduced role that doesn't justify the draft position.

OR Cut him like the chiefs did their 3rd round pick or like we did SJB a year ago.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom