The Obama vs Clinton War of Words Heats Up (1 Viewer)

Correct. The zeal to select and elect a winner will make pals out of everyone. If JFK and LBJ could combine on their ticket, anything's possible.

I watched Hillary Clinton on "Meet the Press" yesterday, and I was reminded of Dorothy Parker's putdown of Lillian Hellman's latest book.

Everything she writes is a lie, including "and" and "the"

She was so incredibly fake and transparent (which one might consider a typical morning for the Hillster) on MtP this Sunday. Russert did a good job of putting her on the spot though, especially on the war and the 7 faces of Hillary on Iraq.

She was so incredibly fake and transparent (which one might consider a typical morning for the Hillster) on MtP this Sunday. Russert did a good job of putting her on the spot though, especially on the war and the 7 faces of Hillary on Iraq.

The current media story line is the quadrennial tussel between upscale Dems and lunchbucket Dems, the latter of which are more numerous and have the nomination winning track record. The effort to be more solicitous re the King and Johnson years is laughable. In 1963, Hillary was trying to keep her younger brothers out of trouble, and Obama was pooping his pantalooms in Indonesia.

This is what politics has descended to in 2008.

In 1963, Hillary was trying to keep her younger brothers out of trouble, and Obama was pooping his pantalooms in Indonesia.

It's no different than the constant appeals to Reagan on the GOP side. Although I would add that politics has always been like this, or rather always gone through cycles such as this.

It's no different than the constant appeals to Reagan on the GOP side. Although I would add that politics has always been like this, or rather always gone through cycles such as this.

Yeah, when you have very little to be inspired by and you can't inspire people yourself name drop someone that is inspiring or did something inspiring.

Republicans are so bereft of any popular figures in recent political history that Reagan is pretty much "it". Before that, you have Teddy and Lincoln, and the latter was the first Republican. Teddy ran third party, and ushered in Wilson. Good job.

No one's pushing for a Nixon, Bush, or Ford revival, nor is there a doctrine surrounding them. Democrats have a wider field from which to draw their heroes.

Yeah, when you have very little to be inspired by and you can't inspire people yourself name drop someone that is inspiring or did something inspiring.

Especially when they're dead and can't call you out.

As for the inspirational angle, I think this is why Hillary benefits from the current situation. Obama is the inspirational candidate, and if he gets bogged down in a fight he loses his freshness. If Americans think this is a two-way fight then he is at a serious disadvantage. If they view Hillary as trying to smear him, then he can still cling to his mantle of hope.

If I was an Obama advisor, I'd suggest backing off. Give Hillary enough rope and she may hang herself. There's no doubt she wants this more than anything and is willing to say or do anything to become President. Restraint is key in dealing with the overly ambitious. People don't respond well to a candidate who thinks they deserve to be President, which is precisely why Hillary's campaign has faltered. If Obama gets too caught up in the mudslinging, however, she will win.

Republicans are so bereft of any popular figures in recent political history that Reagan is pretty much "it". Before that, you have Teddy and Lincoln, and the latter was the first Republican. Teddy ran third party, and ushered in Wilson. Good job.

Not to mention the fact that there was a complete polar shift between the parties after the New Deal and the civil rights movement and it is hard to imagine a Teddy Roosevelt or Abraham Lincoln running as a Republican. I'm not saying they'd be Democrats, but neither of them would appeal to the current Republican Party base.

Not to mention the fact that there was a complete polar shift between the parties after the New Deal and the civil rights movement and it is hard to imagine a Teddy Roosevelt or Abraham Lincoln running as a Republican. I'm not saying they'd be Democrats, but neither of them would appeal to the current Republican Party base.

McCain cites Roosevelt as a model, which has support in an influential WSJ article by Bill Kristol in 2001.

Give Hillary enough rope and you share Saddam's fate. Moderation has never been a Clinton campaign virtue, not when the outcome was in doubt.

If Bill is going to be Hillary's running mate in the primary season, then he needs to be an issue.

How much longer will it be before Obama makes dynasty a campaign issue--that the Clintons had their eight years, that America doesn't need 20 years of a president named Bush or Clinton, and that America doesn't need four more years of renting out the Lincoln bedroom and Hillary fighting her right-wing conspiracies. Seriously, a 60 second spot showing Hillary's best hits from the 1992 campaign to the health system overhaul to Monica.

If I was an Obama advisor, I'd suggest backing off. Give Hillary enough rope and she may hang herself. There's no doubt she wants this more than anything and is willing to say or do anything to become President. Restraint is key in dealing with the overly ambitious. People don't respond well to a candidate who thinks they deserve to be President, which is precisely why Hillary's campaign has faltered. If Obama gets too caught up in the mudslinging, however, she will win.

I think the Kerry example is too fresh in everybody's minds for Obama's advisors to tell him to back off. To a man, Kerry & Co. now say that if they had it all to do all over again, they would have come out swinging at Swiftboaters from the start.

I don't expect anybody to "take the high road" and let their opponent sling mud without responding in kind.

Give Hillary enough rope and you share Saddam's fate. Moderation has never been a Clinton campaign virtue, not when the outcome was in doubt.

If Bill is going to be Hillary's running mate in the primary season, then he needs to be an issue.

How much longer will it be before Obama makes dynasty a campaign issue--that the Clintons had their eight years, that America doesn't need 20 years of a president named Bush or Clinton, and that America doesn't need four more years of renting out the Lincoln bedroom and Hillary fighting her right-wing conspiracies. Seriously, a 60 second spot showing Hillary's best hits from the 1992 campaign to the health system overhaul to Monica.

It's too late to start making that argument. I also think it's a double-edged sword because people are sympathetic to her for some reason. She's viewed as a victim, especially by over-the-hill women. I think she's an enabler, but that's me.

I think the Kerry example is too fresh in everybody's minds for Obama's advisors to tell him to back off. To a man, Kerry & Co. now say that if they had it all to do all over again, they would have come out swinging at Swiftboaters from the start.

I don't expect anybody to "take the high road" and let their opponent sling mud without responding in kind.

But that was different. That completely undermined the whole premise for his candidacy. He ran as a veteran and he didn't defend himself. Obama is running as the post-partisan candidate and attacking Hillary would undermine his image. That's why I think he's in such a predicament. The debate tomorrow will really demonstrate his political skills, because he really has to walk a tightrope. He's got to go on the offensive without looking like he's on the offensive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom