The offense is missing Payton’s paternal influence (1 Viewer)

That’s it. Players take on the personality of their coach right? Kamara admitting that they aren’t as harsh on each other is because Payton isn’t there for his harshness and eye for detail to trickle down.

Carmichael, imho is more maternal. Brilliant in his own way, but not as demanding as Sean.
Hey hey hey. You might have offended some maternal folks out there okay? :ROFLMAO:

Paternal and maternal I don't think are the most accurate terms to use here.

Without a doubt, Payton was an offensive genius. Like literally, one of the greatest ever. But that doesn't mean he just came up with neat plays that worked. His detail-oriented brain could pick apart weaknesses in any defense and TAILOR the offensive game plan to take advantage of those weaknesses. And oh by the way, he also had a QB who was equally as meticulous in his preparation, and could execute those plans with surgical accuracy.

Payton and Brees were a perfect compliment to each other. Don't expect to see that again. That's not doom and gloom, that's just fact.

Lol, @jahsoul357 (post 26) gets it. Ciara is 🤤🤤🤤🤤🤤. But yes, the Goodies definitely blinds me. I think I’m man enough to admit that😂.

No, no, no. You can shelve the man-enough talk. Ciara is great but whether Russ stayed in Seattle, was traded to New Orleans, or took his diminishing skills to Japan to play baseball, the internet is still as close to Ciara as anybody here is getting. Ya don’t talk blockbuster trade on the basis of which city she’s going to be ignoring football fans from. 😉😁

In all seriousness, I’m still glad it’s another team on the hook for his salary and what it took to acquire him. Yikes.

There's no math to do. Most successful coaches in almost any sport bark and get after players. It gets the most out of them. Of course they motivate and sometimes mother them. DA is a passive no fire coach which is rare for a defensive coach. Most D coaches are piss and vinegar. The contrast from SP to DA is hurting this team
Phil Jackson

There are subtle things Allen seems to miss, such as timeout usage while on defense late in games/halves, or technical offensive penalties that Payton would chew a ref out for to get fixed (such as the illegal man downfield on the screen pass versus Minnesota).

There are lot of small, attention to detail errors being made, and we probably miss Payton more during the week prep than the games themselves.

No
Sports- even pro sports are replete with Big Daddy types - and players have been barked at their entire careers, most probably don’t even hear it anymore
Missing an alpha isn’t the issue (if there is an issue)
The rare trait that SP did have was to be able to find the way to synthesize big ideas/goals into easily digestible moments or objects
Not all of them worked - famously, burying the previous season did not prevent a meh season
But more often that not, SP found unique ways to COACH not parent
I don’t know if you considered this, but it’s possible to be both the alpha and the reasonable coach, as well. If you dot most of your Is and cross most of your Ts and you treat people the pay you’d want to be treated, but you command respect because to give it means you will get it in return, and also have empathetic traits in moments like we’ve seen Sean have from time to time in interviews — that kind of person can assertively run a team without coming across like someone who only wants to rule with an iron fist.

Dennis Allen is none of the above.

I don’t know if you considered this, but it’s possible to be both the alpha and the reasonable coach, as well. If you dot most of your Is and cross most of your Ts and you treat people the pay you’d want to be treated, but you command respect because to give it means you will get it in return, and also have empathetic traits in moments like we’ve seen Sean have from time to time in interviews — that kind of person can assertively run a team without coming across like someone who only wants to rule with an iron fist.

Dennis Allen is none of the above.
None of that sounds like the definition of ‘alpha’ commonly used

And do any of us have the correct read on what DA is like in the facility?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom