The offensive formations are a problem. (1 Viewer)

Put up 34 points, 500 yards, and still get criticism for also not eating enough clock doing it.

The offense is not why we lost. On a list of 100 reasons why we lost, they wouldnt be on the list.

Look dude, you can come in all these threads and try and water it all down, but if you know football you know we need balance. That is what I am talking about.

we have an all or nothing offense and when it works we put up yards and a lot of times , like today, we still lose. If we had been more balanced when we built that lead and controlled the ball we win and we win big.

We keep throwing it 40-50 times a game we will not be a winning ball club. We won't have a run game either because the other team see's a back in the backfield and they know we are running.

Yeah, no.

What the New England coach doesn’t care much for is Fouts’ strong belief in establishing the run on offense. Through the first two drives for the Patriots against the Chiefs in Saturday’s Divisional Round game, the Patriots' offense came out with 16 passes to a single run. This befuddled the CBS commentator, who thought that type of pass-to-run ratio would never last, at least not with New England sustaining success.

New England finished the first half with 26 pass attempts and 6 runs -- 2 of them from quarterback Tom Brady -- and a 14-6 lead.

This type of game plan is not new for the Patriots; they’ve run variations of this pass-heavy approach in a few games this year. They were also one of the most pass-heavy teams overall in the league this season. The Patriots finished the year with the ninth highest pass-to-run ratio in the league and as the only team in the top-10 that also finished the season with a positive overall point differential.

Why Bill Belichick Doesn’t Need to Care About a Balanced Offense

Look dude, you can come in all these threads and try and water it all down, but if you know football you know we need balance. That is what I am talking about.

we have an all or nothing offense and when it works we put up yards and a lot of times , like today, we still lose. If we had been more balanced when we built that lead and controlled the ball we win and we win big.

We keep throwing it 40-50 times a game we will not be a winning ball club. We won't have a run game either because the other team see's a back in the backfield and they know we are running.

So our problem is that we didn't score 40 or 50? Are you kidding? If you put up 34 points and still lose, the offense isn't the problem. It doesn't matter how you spin it. You can pretend like we don't know football and that you're the guru all you want. You're the one sitting there saying that an offense scoring 34 is "a problem".

You are ridiculous.

This emphasis on the run game is fine...if you have that personnel. Seattle and Carolina do it. They also have great defenses so if they only score in the teens or low 20s, they can still win.

The Saints aren't built that way. Taking the ball out of Drew Brees' hands and trying to turn him into Alex Smith is insanity. Sorry. We aren't losing games because Drew is scoring too fast. We are losing games because someone in Payton's staff, either Payton or others, has a much better eye for talent on the offensive side of the ball...

Last edited:
we have an all or nothing offense and when it works we put up yards and a lot of times , like today, we still lose.

I get it about predictability, but our defense is the problem. For the past 2+ years, we can't stop anyone.

stupid-people.jpg

"If you know football..." Sorry, but you lost some credibility right there. Bonchie is one of our more knowledgable football guys on this board. He understands balance. If we had struggled putting up points, or even moving the ball, you'd have a point. And we've been there before. But yesterday wasn't one of those days, you picked the wrong day to climb that tree.

If the Offense would have scored 3 more points, we would have won.

If the Defense had stopped 1 drive that ended in a FG, we would have won.

If our offense would have ran off 10 seconds more per drive, we would have won.

If our kicker hadn't missed a makeable FG, we would have won.

So things aren't really that bad.

"If you know football..." Sorry, but you lost some credibility right there. Bonchie is one of our more knowledgable football guys on this board. He understands balance. If we had struggled putting up points, or even moving the ball, you'd have a point. And we've been there before. But yesterday wasn't one of those days, you picked the wrong day to climb that tree.

True about Bonchie, but it's clear Bonchie's emotions are bleeding over after the loss and he's being pretty rough with some of the other posters since the loss. We all lost brutally yesterday. There is no benefit for Saints fans piling on each other.

If you someone needs to vent, come after me. I usually thinks it's funny reading people's emotional replies when they think they will feel better by in their perception, putting others down. Namaste

You know what? I get it. I have this same discussion with friends. We can come out and run the ball for 7 yards out of the I (or whatever formation UNDER center), then the next play we're spread with no backs in the backfield.

We always say that our play-action would be so much more effective if we can run the ball and go play-action from a "run" formation. I feel ya on that.

But we don't have these discussions after putting up 500+ yards and 30+ points. I get what you're saying... this is just the wrong time to bring this up.
Iget the whole element of surprize thing, but you guys do realize there is a game plan set up beforehand based on research and the likelyhood of the other team running a certain defensive play / formation. Our formations/ plays are called based on prior teams success rate when running offensive formations /plays against said defensive formations. This is determined way before the game by statistical analysis. There is no way to determine a shift by the opposing Mike, Peat whiffing a block, Fleeners having the drops, or Breaux breaking a bone. With 500 yards of offense and 4TDs, I think we did take what they gave us, and vice-versa unfortunately.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

How in the world can you expect to have any element of surprise when you constantly run no back sets, then when you do run a set with RB's in the backfield you run it 99% of the time?

This was really infuriating me during the whole game. I mean what chance does our running game have when they know exactly when we are running it?:idunno:

Would it be so wrong to pass out of the I or strong set every now and again?
Offense>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Defense

Could we have been a little more balanced yesterday? Sure, but all that would have done was masked the deficiencies of the defense. The defense was, and has been the biggest problem with this team. So, no it's not offense, it's defense.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EnR9ah0v1o4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lemonade>Ice T

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom