The offensive formations are a problem. (1 Viewer)

FatCitySaint

Drag The Waters
Reaction score
How in the world can you expect to have any element of surprise when you constantly run no back sets, then when you do run a set with RB's in the backfield you run it 99% of the time?

This was really infuriating me during the whole game. I mean what chance does our running game have when they know exactly when we are running it?:idunno:

Would it be so wrong to pass out of the I or strong set every now and again?

We put up 500 yards and scored 34 points.

I'm not even sure what your point is.

Look dude, you can come in all these threads and try and water it all down, but if you know football you know we need balance. That is what I am talking about.

we have an all or nothing offense and when it works we put up yards and a lot of times , like today, we still lose. If we had been more balanced when we built that lead and controlled the ball we win and we win big.

We keep throwing it 40-50 times a game we will not be a winning ball club. We won't have a run game either because the other team see's a back in the backfield and they know we are running.

I do think this team runs the ball better when they catch teams by surprise,when the runs aren't so telegraphed. but four td's and two fg's is a pretty good day.

How in the world can you expect to have any element of surprise when you constantly run no back sets, then when you do run a set with RB's in the backfield you run it 99% of the time?

This was really infuriating me during the whole game. I mean what chance does our running game have when they know exactly when we are running it?:idunno:

we did.

for 98 yd TD

what else ya got?

Look dude, you can come in all these threads and try and water it all down, but if you know football you know we need balance. That is what I am talking about.

we have an all or nothing offense and when it works we put up yards and a lot of times , like today, we still lose. If we had been more balanced when we built that lead and controlled the ball we win and we win big.

We keep throwing it 40-50 times a game we will not be a winning ball club. We won't have a run game either because the other team see's a back in the backfield and they know we are running.

You take what the other team allows. It's not rocket science. We averaged 4 yards a carry. They could not cover our WR or backs. We run the west coast offense which is pass heavy on short routes, screen then take shots over the top. The west coast offense that was created by Bill Walsh used the short pass as an extension of the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

......END THREAD.

......also...did the OP not see how Cooks, Snead and Thomas were eating we are one of a few Teams that can pick you apart by spreading out the defense...there is NO, GB, ARZ...

Hindsight is 20/20. The offense was clicking yesterday. I think we coulda shoulda run the ball more towards the end of the game, but I'm not going to complain about the playcalling that drove up and down the field at will after we had a week of threads predicting what limbs of Drew's would be left on the field after Mack was done with him...

Formations did not lose the game

I don't even know if its worth typing any more explanation

You know what? I get it. I have this same discussion with friends. We can come out and run the ball for 7 yards out of the I (or whatever formation UNDER center), then the next play we're spread with no backs in the backfield.

We always say that our play-action would be so much more effective if we can run the ball and go play-action from a "run" formation. I feel ya on that.

But we don't have these discussions after putting up 500+ yards and 30+ points. I get what you're saying... this is just the wrong time to bring this up.

In what universe is an offense that scores 35 points and put up over 500 yards an issue? This madness needs to stop.

Last edited:

ok i see what you mean.

No what we need is "balance" on Offense/Defense. complimentary football.

We built that lead by the passing game. And to be honest, i had no issue with the passing game because Oakland couldnt stop it. It was on the defensive side that we had lapses that allowed them back into the contest.

so when you speak about balance....running the ball has NOTHING to do with it. Its the same reason they were able to GET BACK into the contest...aside from that 75 yd run, the rest of their yardage and points came from passing the ball.

Get used to it...NFL is a passing league now. I think there was maybe one other team to rush for over 100 yds yesterday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom