The official 2021 saints undrafted free agent class thread (1 Viewer)

guillermo

Visible minority
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sticky Post
1619939597886.png

In order to keep things easier to follow, please post info, videos, tweets on this thread.

We will update the list in this top post as signings become official. Thank you for helping!

SAINTS SIGNINGS:

1) Trill Williams, cornerback, Syracuse
2) Dylan Soehner, tight end, Iowa State
3) Nolan Cooney, punter, Syracuse
4) Mike Brown, tackle/guard, West Virginia University
5) Shaq Smith, linebacker, Maryland
6) Stevie Scott, running back, Indiana
7) Eric Burell, safety, Wisconsin
8) Bryce Thompson, cornerback, Tennessee
9) Josiah Bronson, DT, Washington
10) Alex Hoffman, OT, Carrol College
11) Lawrence Woods, CB. Truman St.

Last edited by a moderator:

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure what the Saints see in him. Completely void of athletic ability, got bullied at the point of attack as a blocker and a lot of low effort plays. Literally just a big body.

My exact thoughts, he is a big body so being a blocker is definitely what they saw in him but I saw him whiff on a few blocks outside the LOS as he's not quick enough to get to his spot.

Most of the UDFA outside of Scott (RB) Williams (DB) and Brown (G) and the DT from Washington, don't look like much to me but guys to fill the bottom of the roster to rest starters during camp and preseason games.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
But MAAANNNN.... the rest of that OL stinks! It's a shame that 1/2 the plays in your highlight reel are for negative yards. wow.

But MAAANNNN.... the rest of that OL stinks! It's a shame that 1/2 the plays in your highlight reel, your team gets negative yards. wow.
Yeah, but Carrol College is a small college in Montana. My uncle is an alumni. To see a kid that strong, with that kind of footwork come out of a college at that level? Seriously I’m really interested to see what he can do. I’m not thinking he will get all that much time this year, but if they look at him as a developmental project it kinda gets me excited honestly. I seriously hope he does well

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He should be fine @ spot duty. I don't think they look for him to start opposite MT
Harris is the kind of guy that having a longer passing attack will help greatly. He gets beat up in situations like last year where coverage and everything is tight and he got banged around more. Put him in some deep outs and such where he can use his speed to get separation and he will be less banged up n

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Harris is the kind of guy that having a longer passing attack will help greatly. He gets beat up in situations like last year where coverage and everything is tight and he got banged around more. Put him in some deep outs and such where he can use his speed to get separation and he will be less banged up n

Agreed and someone made a great point a while ago about using him on jet sweeps, those are high risk plays for a small WR....would be nice to conserve him for the more important roles (KR, PR and WR)....

andregurov

Compassion is the basis of morality.
Reaction score
The comparison between Murray and Scott stops after you get past their size. Murray is still much faster than Scott I’m sure... but that doesn’t mean Scott isn’t any good.
He’s a power RB that pounds the ball into a defense. He also has a nose for the end zone.

I-formation sets with Murray or Scott and Alex Armah leading the way are going to be able to hammer out short yardage situations very consistently.
Tony Jones Jr was around the roster all year last year for the Saints. In a meaningless week 17 game, he got 3 carries. That is 2 more than Tommylee Lewis got that game (!!!???). While no 2 players are exactly the same - and there is all to play for for Scott - the chance he sees the field in a real NFL game this year is virtually nil. Even if he is a pile-mover that is $ on 3rd and 1 ... running is only part of the game for the Saints, and his chance to play for this organization probably relies more on his pass-blocking/blitz pick-up than his running skill alone. It is fun to get excited about all these UDFA, but realistically Scott is signing with a team with multiple proven RBs reducing both his chance to make an active roster and make any contribution on the field.

Or: if he gets snaps we must be in a world of injury hurt.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
He should be fine @ spot duty. I don't think they look for him to start opposite MT
I hope you’re right, but he hasn’t been able to stay healthy in that spot duty yet. Would love to be proven wrong as he’s an electric player and I love watching him play.

Saint Lattimore

Out on bond... Best Lawyer $$ can buy though..
Reaction score
Tony Jones Jr was around the roster all year last year for the Saints. In a meaningless week 17 game, he got 3 carries. That is 2 more than Tommylee Lewis got that game (!!!???). While no 2 players are exactly the same - and there is all to play for for Scott - the chance he sees the field in a real NFL game this year is virtually nil. Even if he is a pile-mover that is $ on 3rd and 1 ... running is only part of the game for the Saints, and his chance to play for this organization probably relies more on his pass-blocking/blitz pick-up than his running skill alone. It is fun to get excited about all these UDFA, but realistically Scott is signing with a team with multiple proven RBs reducing both his chance to make an active roster and make any contribution on the field.

Or: if he gets snaps we must be in a world of injury hurt.
Absolutely! He’s an UDFA joining an established and deep RB corps with Murray and Montgomery clearly ahead of him (all behind AK41)... and Washington’s special teams prowess holding his spot (especially now with Hardee gone; Washington is 2nd only to JT Gray is ST value).

If Scott makes it, it will be on the PS (if everyone is healthy) and he’d have to beat-out Tony Jones. I think Jones really missed a great opportunity last season (not his fault) by only being able to handle 2 carries before getting hurt.

WhoDat!5

Amiable Saints Fan aka bbourque5
Reaction score
Yeah, but Carrol College is a small college in Montana. My uncle is an alumni. To see a kid that strong, with that kind of footwork come out of a college at that level? Seriously I’m really interested to see what he can do. I’m not thinking he will get all that much time this year, but if they look at him as a developmental project it kinda gets me excited honestly. I seriously hope he does well
Might be a good blocking TE or swing tackle

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Absolutely! He’s an UDFA joining an established and deep RB corps with Murray and Montgomery clearly ahead of him (all behind AK41)... and Washington’s special teams prowess holding his spot (especially now with Hardee gone; Washington is 2nd only to JT Gray is ST value).

If Scott makes it, it will be on the PS (if everyone is healthy) and he’d have to beat-out Tony Jones. I think Jones really missed a great opportunity last season (not his fault) by only being able to handle 2 carries before getting hurt.
All depends on who performs better on special teams.

Humperdoo

Who Dat.
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Wonderful point, hadn’t thought of that. 💯 agree.

Groovepro

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Washington, La. (but touring nationally mostly)

That giant “gulp” sound you just heard came from Tony Jones Jr. 🤣
Scott reminds me a lot of Latavius Murray but with a bit quicker feet. I love his feet. He is always pushing forward and falls forward. I think he is not as strong as Murray, but plays stronger than you would think. Murray has a faster open field, but not as quick of feet. Scott has soft hands, as well. I like this pick up.

snake pliskin

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Not sure what the Saints see in him. Completely void of athletic ability, got bullied at the point of attack as a blocker and a lot of low effort plays. Literally just a big body.
I agree completely. And he drops a pass in his supposed "highlight reel". I think he's a candidate to move to tackle. That has to be what they're thinking

Sazed

Veteran
Reaction score
Don't we usually have quite a few more UDFAs signed by this time? Seems like in years past we have 15-20 signed in the hours following the draft. I recall seeing someone on here say that we could sign up to 22, was that incorrect?

Saint Lattimore

Out on bond... Best Lawyer $$ can buy though..
Reaction score
Don't we usually have quite a few more UDFAs signed by this time? Seems like in years past we have 15-20 signed in the hours following the draft. I recall seeing someone on here say that we could sign up to 22, was that incorrect?
Payton mentioned this in his post-draft presser.

He said they weren’t going to max-out their spots right now, and that the plan is to keep some wiggle room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread