The official 2021 saints undrafted free agent class thread (1 Viewer)

Absolutely! He’s an UDFA joining an established and deep RB corps with Murray and Montgomery clearly ahead of him (all behind AK41)... and Washington’s special teams prowess holding his spot (especially now with Hardee gone; Washington is 2nd only to JT Gray is ST value).

If Scott makes it, it will be on the PS (if everyone is healthy) and he’d have to beat-out Tony Jones. I think Jones really missed a great opportunity last season (not his fault) by only being able to handle 2 carries before getting hurt.
All depends on who performs better on special teams.

Harris is the kind of guy that having a longer passing attack will help greatly. He gets beat up in situations like last year where coverage and everything is tight and he got banged around more. Put him in some deep outs and such where he can use his speed to get separation and he will be less banged up n
Wonderful point, hadn’t thought of that. 💯 agree.

That giant “gulp” sound you just heard came from Tony Jones Jr. 🤣

Scott reminds me a lot of Latavius Murray but with a bit quicker feet. I love his feet. He is always pushing forward and falls forward. I think he is not as strong as Murray, but plays stronger than you would think. Murray has a faster open field, but not as quick of feet. Scott has soft hands, as well. I like this pick up.

Not sure what the Saints see in him. Completely void of athletic ability, got bullied at the point of attack as a blocker and a lot of low effort plays. Literally just a big body.
I agree completely. And he drops a pass in his supposed "highlight reel". I think he's a candidate to move to tackle. That has to be what they're thinking

Don't we usually have quite a few more UDFAs signed by this time? Seems like in years past we have 15-20 signed in the hours following the draft. I recall seeing someone on here say that we could sign up to 22, was that incorrect?

Don't we usually have quite a few more UDFAs signed by this time? Seems like in years past we have 15-20 signed in the hours following the draft. I recall seeing someone on here say that we could sign up to 22, was that incorrect?
Payton mentioned this in his post-draft presser.

He said they weren’t going to max-out their spots right now, and that the plan is to keep some wiggle room.

Is he better than John Isenbarger? (legend Indiana RB).

pruitt1997
LOL - I'd have to admit that usually when I am watching Indiana football it is because the battery in the remote is gone and I'm too drunk to get up out of the chair to change the channel. Even when operating at maximum efficiency I'm pretty lazy. 😆

The comparison between Murray and Scott stops after you get past their size. Murray is still much faster than Scott I’m sure... but that doesn’t mean Scott isn’t any good.
He’s a power RB that pounds the ball into a defense. He also has a nose for the end zone.

I-formation sets with Murray or Scott and Alex Armah leading the way are going to be able to hammer out short yardage situations very consistently.
I don't think they are that much different. Scott isn't as fast for downfield, breakaway speed but has quicker feet than Murray. He has soft hands, too. They both always are moving forward and play stronger than you would think. They both fall forward and constantly move forward, which is a major plus. I like the pick. All the players they have been bringing in have attributes that they definitely have sought out and have a "vision" for almost every player in.

Sports Illustrated did a nice article on John Isenbarger back when I was in High School. It was titled: "Will John Punt?". John was the Punter as well and sometimes the snap back was an adventure! John got several extra First Downs by running the ball. Indiana was a big power for a year or two in the Big Ten. I think they even made it to the Rose Bowl.

pruitt1997

Payton mentioned this in his post-draft presser.

He said they weren’t going to max-out their spots right now, and that the plan is to keep some wiggle room.

Is 11 a typical number of UDFAs for us? Seems like it's usually closer to 15.

Yeah we usually sign more players. But Payton said in one of the articles on the news page that he wanted to keep some room. So I'm guessing he's waiting on the second wave of FA to sign 1 or 2 Vet players.

I was the one that posted Underhill's comment reporting that there were 22 roster spots available after the draft. We filled 11 of them with our UDFA signings so there are still some slots left. The max allowed on the roster is 90. In the past, they have left available roster spots open for players invited into the rookie minicamp on a "tryout" basis. This way they can actually bring in more than enough players to have a decent minicamp. I believe this is how we signed Khiry Robinson quite a few years back. I don't know if the date for the rookie minicamp has been set yet.

I was the one that posted Underhill's comment reporting that there were 22 roster spots available after the draft. We filled 11 of them with our UDFA signings so there are still some slots left. The max allowed on the roster is 90. In the past, they have left available roster spots open for players invited into the rookie minicamp on a "tryout" basis. This way they can actually bring in more than enough players to have a decent minicamp. I believe this is how we signed Khiry Robinson quite a few years back. I don't know if the date for the rookie minicamp has been set yet.
Saints have 10 roster openings by my count. Rookie minicamp tryouts will be limited this year to only 5 which makes the chances of some unknown catching on less likely. I think the purpose of keeping that many spots open will mainly be to add some vets, some with the expectation of making the roster and some just to add a veteran presence in the meeting room (very young in some positions).

Today at 4 PM EST unrestricted free agents that sign with a new team no longer count towards the NFL’s compensatory pick formula.
Amongst those available: Richard Sherman, Justin Houston, Alejandro Villanueva, Russell Okung, Melvin Ingram, K.J. Wright & Jason McCourty.
I think we look to add vets at CB (duh), NT, LB, and WR at some point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom