The official "Beating a dead horse about STs" thread (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
We are just awful.

It's an adventure just fielding a punt. Finally get a good return and it's a penalty. Take it out at the goal line and can't even get to the 20. Basically no return game overall. Not even really that good at downing punts. When we pin someone deep, it's almost always because Morestead hit a beauty angled out of bounds. Our kick coverage is average at best. The FG unit woes all season.

We all know the issues. There's just noway McMahon should be kept this off season. Absolutely no rationale for it. I keep waiting for that unit to turn a corner and it just keeps not doing so.

We are just awful.

It's an adventure just fielding a punt. Finally get a good return and it's a penalty. Take it out at the goal line and can't even get to the 20. Basically no return game overall. Not even really that good at downing punts. When we pin someone deep, it's almost always because Morestead hit a beauty angled out of bounds. Our kick coverage is average at best. The FG unit woes all season.

We all know the issues. There's just noway McMahon should be kept this off season. Absolutely no rationale for it. I keep waiting for that unit to turn a corner and it just keeps not doing so.
Yeah yeah but as long as payton is here, no one is getting fired

He's likely gone after the season. Lasco made a play and our Kicker seems to be hitting the ball consistently. Though i think it's worth it to question how much of that has been due to injuries/elevation of guys expected to be core STs players.

Robertson/Stupar were signed to be STs guys and both were taking significant snaps at one point in the season. Lasco who looks to be one of our better STs guys missed an extended period of time. The FS from the CFL tore his ACL he was a core STs guy. Dropped punts/penalties are more on players...it's not hard to not hold...don't know how much coaching u can do to get it through guys heads not to hold.

At this point I think it's time for a fresh start on him but can't help but think there were enough things to happen that tail spinner him..including Sean moving away from a veteran kicker to a rookie that needed coaching and may have stretched Mcmahon too thin.

Agree 100%, but thought today we finally were on the better end of ST, thanks to Bucs screwing up more.

There's no question we need new special teams coaching, but the bottom of our roster would do no favors for any special teams coach. Bad special teams are one of the symptoms of a below average roster, if we begin to do a better job drafting and bringing in quality free agents, that would do more for our special teams than new coaching will.

There's no question we need new special teams coaching, but the bottom of our roster would do no favors for any special teams coach. Bad special teams are one of the symptoms of a below average roster, if we begin to do a better job drafting and bringing in quality free agents, that would do more for our special teams than new coaching will.

Exactly the point I was making. I think Payton's decision to use a rookie kicker may have put unnecessary stress on McMahon. This isn't like Hartley as a rookie K when you have a pretty good roster in 2009. This a below average at the bottom roster AND a rookie kicker. Can't fault McMahon for Devante Harris running into a guy or trying to pick up an untouched ball and then fumbling it. Ultimately he only has to work with the guys available yet.

In McMahon time here the STs unit has never been better than middle of the road even when we had a solid roster and that's why it's likely time to move on. You know his cap is an average unit

McMahon should have been fired years ago. The fact that he's still her tells me he's probably not going anywhere. I'll be shocked if SP gets rid of him.

Agree with OP. Special teams were a disaster, again. Ugly stuff.

Tampa crushed New Orleans with field position over and over. I believe it was the difference in the game. But with one exception, the time Morestead pinned them on the 1, followed by safety. Of course that was Morestead's work, alone.

I am very disappointed. And if there is one thing I do not like to be... it is to be disappointed.

200_s.gif

We are just awful.

I am tired of the constant penalties. Any time we have a decent return I just wait for the flag...and it usually comes. I know that this happens across the board but it is obvious that our guys are just not coached well on ST.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom