The Official Comic Book Thread (1 Viewer)

Then they screwed over Scott Summers and 4 years ago or so, and brought in the first class all over again from a different universe to start them over and killed him off.

I havn't bought a comic since.

Cyclops was right #neverforget.

You'll be happy to know that they've killed off Scott... again. :hihi:

I was a massive reader/collector from 1985 to 1998. I have a wide collection most of the major book from Marvel, Epic, DC, Image, Dark Horse and Valiant, with the exception of Spawn issue 1 through 25 that were stolen in 1999.

I mostly followed creators from book to book, artists mainly and a handfull of writers.

I lost interest in the early 2000 mainly because every book seem to want to reboot and relaunch with a new #1 and trash all the history and continuity there was before. Combine that with the skyrocketing costs, i could no longer aford the 20 books a week i used to read.

One of these days i'll pull out the old issues and re-read them. that era really was the golden age of comics, before it all went to crap in the 2000's.

I was a Marvel only guy. Had a pull list from Midtown of about 30 titles.

Then they screwed over Scott Summers and 4 years ago or so, and brought in the first class all over again from a different universe to start them over and killed him off.

I havn't bought a comic since.

Cyclops was right #neverforget.

Now we have a new Ms. Marvel, new Iron Man, Unworthy Thor, blah blah blah.

I'm ok that Marvel tried to move on into a new demographic, new fans, modernize and all that. I just can't take that trip with them.

Spider-Gwen and Gwenpool? Seriously? What the hell Marvel. Your movies kick-***. Your comics don't

the movies are all based on 30 year old comic plots, thats why the movies are good, and the current comics...eh, not so much.

Because of my interest in Battlestar Galactica I am reading Dynamite's current series and have the series that followed the reboot a few years ago along with all of the spinoffs.

These are really the only comics I have read since I was a kid. I cringe to think what some of the comics I had in the 60's might be worth now but I am not sure the value could be traded for the shear joy of reading them under the covers by flashlight late into the night.

Was an avid reader in the 80s and 90s of mostly Marvel stuff (Spider-Man, X-Men, Punisher, Moon Knight). Haven't read a whole lot of recent stuff, but trying to plow through 100 Bullets trades after getting current on Lazarus (a great book by Rucka).

I was reading Iron Man, Silver Surfer, and Avengers regularly. Then I turned 14.

whose fault is that?

Mine.

Related story (tl;dr): My mother in law talks about how she and her brother read comics all the time growing up and that he still has a bunch of them. He's been kind of a vagrant, living in a trailer with cats and stuff for years and working at odd jobs, sort of a foil hat conspirator type. Tales spoke of this comic collection, but there wasn't really room to keep them there and some rumors floated around that they were all damaged in a flood or fire or whatever.

Well, he's been living with his parents, my wife's grandparents. We stayed over there for Thanksgiving and slept in the room he usually stays in. I saw a moving box labeled "comics". Curious, and with full knowledge of the legends, I opened it. Filled to the brim with 1960s comics. Dr. Strange, Avengers, Thor - those were the ones I saw....I didn't dig too deep. There were 4 more boxes just like it, all filled to the top. The legends were true. So now I'm trying to figure out how to get written into his will.

I quit as a teen because of the crossover fad. The limited series were interesting but then they started crossing over to the main titles. Secret Wars did it for me. It became too expensive and subscribing to one title wasn't possible because they would waste an issue on a cross over that made no sense unless you bought 30 other comics.

In my mid-twenties I bought the back issues to complete my Captain America collection but now there's 20 years of back issues on top of those. I keep up on the characters via the internet but paying $5 for a 12 page comic is nuts.

Mine.

Related story (tl;dr): My mother in law talks about how she and her brother read comics all the time growing up and that he still has a bunch of them. He's been kind of a vagrant, living in a trailer with cats and stuff for years and working at odd jobs, sort of a foil hat conspirator type. Tales spoke of this comic collection, but there wasn't really room to keep them there and some rumors floated around that they were all damaged in a flood or fire or whatever.

Well, he's been living with his parents, my wife's grandparents. We stayed over there for Thanksgiving and slept in the room he usually stays in. I saw a moving box labeled "comics". Curious, and with full knowledge of the legends, I opened it. Filled to the brim with 1960s comics. Dr. Strange, Avengers, Thor - those were the ones I saw....I didn't dig too deep. There were 4 more boxes just like it, all filled to the top. The legends were true. So now I'm trying to figure out how to get written into his will.

For a cut of what's in those boxes, I may know someone who know someone who know someone who might know somewhere that can procure the items without him noticing. Let me know (on the slick of course).

I quit as a teen because of the crossover fad. The limited series were interesting but then they started crossing over to the main titles. Secret Wars did it for me. It became too expensive and subscribing to one title wasn't possible because they would waste an issue on a cross over that made no sense unless you bought 30 other comics.

In my mid-twenties I bought the back issues to complete my Captain America collection but now there's 20 years of back issues on top of those. I keep up on the characters via the internet but paying $5 for a 12 page comic is nuts.

This is another reason why I think DC is beating Marvel. They've cut their prices to $2.99 not just for the twice-a-month titles, but also their non-special titles, i.e. All-Star Batman. or DK III.

I read routinely, but I don't really get into weekly stuff anymore like I used to. Now I buy collections on sale. The only books I read with any routine regularity are Moon Knight, Amazing Spider-Man, and Daredevil. All three have had some rough patches in the last decade, but are all still very good.

I also try to snag an Indy here or there. I can recommend The 6th Gun, Groom Lake, Cinema Purgatorio, and Injection.

This is another reason why I think DC is beating Marvel. They've cut their prices to $2.99 not just for the twice-a-month titles, but also their non-special titles, i.e. All-Star Batman. or DK III.

Good sidebar- what were comics prices when you started reading?
I'm pretty sure I bought a $.20 title, but the bulk of mine were a quarter
Except for the giant Spider-Man v super man issue ($2.00??), I don't think I passed $1/issue spending

Except for the giant Spider-Man v super man issue ($2.00??), I don't think I passed $1/issue spending

A handy guide:

MedianCover1.jpeg

MedianCover2.jpeg

MedianCover3.jpeg

MedianCover4.jpeg

When I first started buying with my allowance about 8 or 9 they were $0.60 to $0.75. But I already had some stuff that I received from my uncle which are much older.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom