* * * The Official EE Van Halen Thread * * * (1 Viewer)

"I'll Wait" is the best track on 1984, though my 14 year old self preferred "Hot for Teacher" based strictly on the video (an all time MTV classic - like top 3).

Damn, I forgot how good I'll Wait was. It's really a killer album.

BTW, I was in middle school in that era - and a bit of a Weird Al fan. One of my early efforts at songwriting was a Weird Al style re-write of Panama:

Children, what's that sound?
Here he comes, he lands with a big bound
Sack of toys for them boys
And some pearls for the girls

Don't you know he read your Christmas list?
He gave you wanted - you got it

Santa Clause
Santa Clause
Santa Clause

Last edited:
Did y'all happen to catch this? A few days ago, an "alternate" studio version of Runnin' with the Devil (with different solo) popped up on YouTube. It was allegedly pulled from old studio masters from the 1977 album sessions.

Warner Brothers has pulled it.

Van Halen fans were stunned this week when a previously unreleased take of “Runnin’ with the Devil,” complete with an extended guitar solo and an alternate David Lee Roth vocal, surfaced on YouTube.

“Van Halen Fans rejoice!” wrote YouTube user Groovefunkel Second Helping. “As a huge Van Halen fan, it gives me great pleasure to share this remix, which features an alternate ‘Diamond Dave’ vocal AND an extended guitar solo. Made from the original 24-track session masters.”

i was only a moderate fan of both renditions. But I’ll say this. For longevities sake it’s Hagar. I don’t really like people sneaking behind me to see if I still have my mullet when I’m listening to music.

What is the best track on 1984?

I know it's uncool to list the hits, but that synthesizer sound in Jump just teleports me back to the 80s and I love it. Gotta go with that.

And confession time. I'm not proud of this, but there was about a week of my life where I was really obsessed with those 3 Van Hagar love songs that all sound the exact same. I got better, but I wanted to unburden myself.

I know it's uncool to list the hits, but that synthesizer sound in Jump just teleports me back to the 80s and I love it. Gotta go with that.

And confession time. I'm not proud of this, but there was about a week of my life where I was really obsessed with those 3 Van Hagar love songs that all sound the exact same. I got better, but I wanted to unburden myself.

since we lamenting Sammy here, i had to stop and watch the video EVERY.DANG.TIME that Dreams came on.

I soooooo wanted to be a Blue Angel pilot lol

i was only a moderate fan of both renditions. But I’ll say this. For longevities sake it’s Hagar. I don’t really like people sneaking behind me to see if I still have my mullet when I’m listening to music.

See, I have the opposite view. I liked Van Halen but also didn't have a problem with Van Hagar. I bought the tapes - listened to both 5150 and OU812 quite a bit. Didn't really after that.

But now, after the passage of time, there's about 10 - 15 Van Halen songs I would readily and happily listen to . . . I can't really say that about Hagar. Maybe two?

Right now Zack is wrong

The truth will set you free brother....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom