The Official "Give it a Rest" Thread (1 Viewer)

i'm so tired of this belly aching also...these were good additions to this team...people wanted to sign the "stars" of free agency, but I think time has proved that just because they were stars on other teams dont mean they will be stars on YOUR team...and we got the most out of the money we were willing to spend in free agency, DE, CB and MLB...I say we did a good job.

And we all felt for the "banana in the tailpipe"... that's probably why we see all the threads.

Sorry if I'm not one of those "buck up little soldier" guys right now... I'm trying to come to grips with the fact that our defense may get torched all season again... I just hope the rest of this offseason will go better for us than these first couple days.

Droopy. What acquisition(s) would have made it a success for you? After the franchise tags came out, this became a week free agency crop. Considering the products on the shelf, it looks like we did well so far this offseason.

Seriously, is it the fact that we didn't land Samuel or Briggs or Faneca?

the same people who scream about us not signing someone like briggs or samuel would be screaming the loudest if we had signed either one and they didn't work out

I'll ask again: How many teams this year made a trade for a major player like Vilma AND signed an overpaid big money FA?

I think people really expected us to beat out 31 other teams for Briggs and Samuel even though they were the only two real bigname D FA's this year. We made a move for a player thats just as good as those two and somehow thats not enough? Thats more then most other teams did. We also made a great signing in McCray to directly help a major liability last year in our pass rush. We resigned Young, who is offically the most underrated player on this board. We signed Gay to compete for the number 2 spot (after all the crying about not handing David the job, people are mad about bringing in some competition for him?). We also resigned Stecker, Henderson, and Copper, and although I don't like the Henderson resigning, those are solid moves to keep us from getting worse as a team before the draft.

Then we still have the very likely possibility that we sign a good TE in the next few days, resign Miller, and then theres the draft, of which we could get at least two defensive starters.

This has been a very active offseason and we've made some good moves. The fact is most wouldn't of been happy unless we got Briggs and Samuel anyway, so cry away.

Here's an article that makes some good points about why a lot of teams won't go after the high dollar free agents now:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=363203

It may have been posted before, since it's a few days old, but it would seem to fit this thread..

The Saints had one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL last season. Receivers ran roughshod over their secondary (think: Forrest Gump). But if the Saints sign Samuel, but don't make the playoffs next year, there's no way they can justify having spent that kind of money for him, even if he plays well.
Most teams have figured out that it's more prudent to keep their best players, rather than chase after free agents, or let their best players walk. That's why so many teams used the franchise tag on their prospective free agents. The franchise tag gives you another year to keep a core player, and gives you extra time to work out a long-term agreement.

Last edited:
I agree 100%, and I'm going to start another thread just like this, to emphasize the point!

It's amazing that most of the posters in this forum don't work for an NFL team considering how many self proclaimed experts I've read posts from. Has anyone ever thought that signing FA's has a lot to do with where those players actually want to play? Maybe Samuel and Briggs didn't have any interest in actually playing here - there are 31 other teams in the league. Sure we have some cap room, but how ****** would you be if we tied up all our cap room for next season on Briggs and/or Samuel, and weren't able to hold onto Smith, Colston, Evans, etc? I'm not sticking up for the FO, I just realize there's just more to FA than wanting a player and getting them to sign with your team.

Another thing that always amuses me is every time a player someone likes is either released or put on the blocks, we should immediately sign/trade for them.

I realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion/spin on these matters, and this is mine. That's what makes forums entertaining.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom