The Offseaon Trade Up (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
I know I have been pushing the trade up and drafting of Sedrick Ellis so I thought I would provide a mock offseason of my vision.

Free Agents<o></o>
<o></o>
LB Lance Briggs [<st1:city><st1>Chicago</st1></st1:city>] 6 years 48 million/ 21 guaranteed [8]
<o></o>
CB Drayton Florence [<st1:city><st1>San Diego</st1></st1:city>] 5 years 25 million/ 12 guaranteed [5]
<o></o>
TE Ben Troupe [<st1:state><st1>Tennessee</st1></st1:state>] 3 years 7 million/ 2 guranteed [2.5]
<o></o>
OT Nat Dorsey [Cleveland] 3 years 5 million/ 2 guaranteed [1.5]
<o></o>
Resignings<o></o>
<o></o>
C Jeff Faine 5 years 18 million/ 7 guaranteed [3]
<o></o>
C Jonathan Goodwin
<o>
WR David Patten

</o>Releases [Savings/Million]
<o></o>
CB Jason Craft [2]
<o></o>
CB Fred Thomas [3]
<o></o>
DT Kendrick Clancy [2]
<o></o>
K Olindo Mare [1.5]<o></o>
<o></o>
LB Brian Simmons [2]<o></o>

Extensions<o></o>
<o></o>
WR Marques Colston 6 years 42 million/18 guaranteed [7]
<o></o>
OG Jahri Evans 6 years 30 million/ 15 guaranteed [5]
<o></o>
Will Smith 6 years 60 million/ 25 guaranteed [10]
<o></o>
Draft
<o></o>
*Trade: The New Orleans Saints trade 1[10], 2[43] and 4[110] to the Kansas City Chiefs for 1[5] and 3[69].
<o></o>
1[5] DT Sedrick Ellis [USC]
<o></o>
Ellis is the complete package at DT. He has the strength and squat build to overcome his lack of ideal size [6’1” 308lbs.]. He has great explosion and has shown it all week at the Senior Bowl blowing up running and passing plays. Ellis also has the intangibles that the Saints need on defense. Ellis will bring intensity, work ethic and hustle to a defense and especially a defensive line that is lacking all of those things. The trade up is costly but you know what you are getting with Ellis, he is one of the safer picks.
<o></o>
usc_notre_dame_football_4_400.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
3[69] S Marcus Griffin [<st1:state><st1>Texas</st1></st1:state>]
<o></o>
<st1:city><st1>Griffin</st1></st1:city> has nice size [6’ 202lbs.] and speed and at the Senior Bowl this week he has shown that he can cover the middle of the field. The Saints need a coverage S that can allow Roman Harper to play near the line where he has success. Kesviharn will start and <st1:city><st1>Griffin</st1></st1:city> will fight to take over.
<o></o>
s7fz9mmx.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
3[74] LB Jonathan Goff [Vanderbilt]
<o></o>
The Saints get Briggs in free agency, which brings a bug time playmaker to the defense at the weakside spot. Goff will compete with Shanle for the MLB spot. Goff has great size at 6’3” 250lbs. and is a natural leader in the middle of the defense.
<o></o>
AL21.jpg
<o>

</o> 5. WR Eddie Royal [Virginia Tech]
<o></o>
Royal does not have great size [5’8” 190lbs.] but he great speed and the Saints need a deep threat to replace Devrey Henderson and stretch the field for Colston and Meachem.
<o></o>
vatech.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
6. CB Jonathan Zenon [LSU]
<o></o>
Zenon comes from a man coverage system that puts a premium on physical play. Zenon will simply add depth and allow the Saints to release under performing veteran back ups.
<o></o>
70816276.jpg
<o></o>
<o></o>
7. OG Bobby Byrd [<st1:street><st1:address>Washington St</st1:address></st1:street>.]
<o></o>
A big mauler at [6’7” 320lbs.]
<o></o>
Roster<o></o>
<o></o>
QB: Brees, Marten<o></o>
RB: Bush, McCallister, Stecker, Thomas<o></o>
FB: Karney<o></o>
WR: Colston, Meachem, Patten, Moore, Royal<o></o>
TE: Miller, Troup, Campbell<o></o>
LT: Brown, Dorsey<o></o>
LG: Bushrod, Alleman<o></o>
C: Faine, Goodwin<o></o>
RG: Evans, Byrd<o></o>
RT: Strief, Stinchomb
<o></o>
RE: Smith, Cooper<o></o>
DT: Ellis, <st1>Lake</st1>
NT: Thomas, Boykin<o></o>
LE: Grant, Wynn<o></o>
SLB: Fujita, Evans<o></o>
MLB: Goff, Shanle, Mitchell<o></o>
WLB: Briggs, McCoy<o></o>
CB: <st1:city><st1>Florence</st1></st1:city>, David<o></o>
CB: McKenzie, Young, Zenon<o></o>
FS: Kesviharn, Bullocks<o></o>
SS: Harper, <st1:city><st1>Griffin</st1></st1:city>, Gleason<o></o>
<o></o>
K: Mare<o></o>
P: Weatherford<o></o>
LS: Houser<o></o>

Are you hoping we release or keep Mare. The top says you're releasing him and the bottom says he's our kicker. Just wondering.

I'm hoping shanle and hollis are backups by the start next year, Haynesworth and Ellis at DT and instead of Briggs get vilma if the price is right (3rd) or Karlos Dansby and Kawika Mitchell, corner I like florence or Asante Samuel

I like your free agents, resigns, releases and extensions... but i dont like the draft picks... stay at 10... GREAT JOB THOUGH DUDE REALLY
1. K Rivers
2. K.Balmer or D.Moore "go with a best DT Here"
3. E.Royal "Dont let this guy get by us I think he is goin to be special"
4. DJ Hall or M. Griffin
5. BPA Off. or Def
6. BPA Off. or Def
7. BPA Off. or Def

I like your free agents, resigns, releases and extensions... but i dont like the draft picks... stay at 10... GREAT JOB THOUGH DUDE REALLY
1. K Rivers
2. K.Balmer or D.Moore "go with a best DT Here"
3. E.Royal "Dont let this guy get by us I think he is goin to be special"
4. DJ Hall or M. Griffin
5. BPA Off. or Def
6. BPA Off. or Def
7. BPA Off. or Def
I think I will scream if they take back to back WR's, such as Royal and DJ Hall. One is enough. Stick to defense and perhaps OL or TE if any other offensive picks are made.

Based on my math, which is sketchy at best when I do it all in my head, your plan would put the Saints somewhere between two and four million over the salary cap without having signed any of their draft picks.

That assumes that the brakets next to the names are the cap hit and/or cap savings for this year.

Can I live with this?? Yes. Is it realistic? Possibly. Will our FO pull the trigger on the trades? I doubt it.
But I really appreciate the time and effort. Gives all of us something to think/argue about.

I am glad you have us getting Troupe. He is a great athlete and has the potential to be a good TE.

I'm pretty sure he's been injured though. The Saints love injury prone tight ends, so he is definitely a possibility.

Oh, and you didn't take into account how much it would cost to sign Stecker. He is a free agent this year.

Great post! I think that would be the dream offseason but I don't think our FO has the ability to pull it off. Sedrick Ellis would be huge though.

I really like the idea of the Saints getting Ellis hopefully he won't go too early and the Saints can make something happen.

Will Smith 6yrs for 60 million???? 10 mil a year for a DE ???? he better start averaging 13 sacks a year......

I don't like the trade to move up for Ellis, with the great players that will be available to us at our pick in the 2nd it wouldn't be smart to throw that pick away. We probally get a great player with Ellis, but if we get Phillips or Rivers and Lofton or Mayo, I think getting 2 great players sounds better to me. But other than that trade I think it's a very good offseason.

Ellis is just as good as dorsey. Name a way in which dorsey is better. i would definately move to 8 and get him

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom